Girls Aloud

everything else

Moderator: Paquito

indiansummer
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/heartsturnblue

Girls Aloud

Post by indiansummer » Mon Dec 21, 2009 08:54

fogofideas wrote:can we just get it out of the way that a lot of men, young and old/townie or goth, really like girls aloud- even if as time passes and the lustre of the girls' recorded output diminishes and the patina of relevance and 'nowness' seems to discolour and fade, men will gather on internet forums and casually mention girls aloud as if in anticipation of a 'no way! you like them? my god, you've got catholic tastes! you must surely be down with youth in a way that I, a stuffy old trad jazzer, cannot even begin to get my head around' perhaps failing to appreciate that 14 year old's these days probably view girls aloud as a bunch of old aunts, more the preserve of the 30+ hen party than the school playground and you might as well be mentioning mungo jerry or alvin stardust for all the 'shock of the new' their name can conjure these days
true dat.

Anyway.

i thought the singles from Girls Aloud's first three albums were ace. I can't think of anything they've done in recent years that's been as good as the first 10-12 singles, but to my mind they were great pop records.

For some reason there seems to be some sort of universal acceptance of Girls Aloud, in a way that the likes of Busted, McFly, S Club 7 or Daphne & Celeste could never get. Which is a bit strange as they're all ace too. But they've acquired some degree of tastefulness and (as Andy says) acceptability, as though they're the 'thinking man's manufactured pop group' somehow. Hence discussions about how good Xenomania are as a writing/production team, to the extent that Xenomania may as well just be the actual group.

But either way, the songs are credited to Girls Aloud, and they sing them (if unspectacularly).

I think they're good, basically.

(NB you'll never understand because of your interest in Cole Porter, or something)
halo my middle, a hula hoop hug

islandhopper
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/mi-fhein

Re: Girls Aloud

Post by islandhopper » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:10

I think they're mentioned more than others because they've consistently put out a far higher quality of pop song than anyone else this decade. I don't think any of this is down to the girls themselves of course, but if a song's a good 'un then I don't really care where it comes from.
I'm really out of touch with the pop charts these days, but if something takes my fancy then I will download it. I'm not doing it for any sense of cool since no one is probably ever going to see my itunes (we'll ignore the fact that I'm talking about it at length here!) but I've downloaded 7 Girls Aloud tunes over the years. The only artists with more than one song (ok, 2) are Beyonce and The Sugababes.

I almost didn't put Biology on my list of my 10 favourite songs of the decade because I thought some people probably would think of it as tokenism, but I'm glad I did as I really do love it.

indiansummer

Post by indiansummer » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:17

islandhopper wrote:I think they're mentioned more than others because they've consistently put out a far higher quality of pop song than anyone else this decade. I don't think any of this is down to the girls themselves of course, but if a song's a good 'un then I don't really care where it comes from.
for sure, although i do think McFly and Busted both had some ACE singles. McFly have lost their way a bit of late - since they decided they wanted to be 'serious artists' and not a boy band (which i suppose is fine, although a bit... 'ok, whatever') they've gingerly forgotten to write any good choruses.

Liberty X only really had one good single, didn't they? and i've forgotten what it was called now, but it was BRILL.
I'm not doing it for any sense of cool since no one is probably ever going to see my itunes (we'll ignore the fact that I'm talking about it at length here!) but I've downloaded 7 Girls Aloud tunes over the years. The only artists with more than one song (ok, 2) are Beyonce and The Sugababes.
I sometimes feel like i would like to be cool and try to fit in accordingly. Luckily, this only works from a made-up list of what is cool, compiled in my brain, and based entirely on stuff that i like. HOORAY.
I almost didn't put Biology on my list of my 10 favourite songs of the decade because I thought some people probably would think of it as tokenism, but I'm glad I did as I really do love it.
It's properly ace.

soft revolution
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/duncydunc

Post by soft revolution » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:30

indiansummer wrote:Liberty X only really had one good single, didn't they?
Holding On For You was crying out for someone like The Sundays to come and do a cover.
And by me, I mean, Flexo.

linus

Post by linus » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:31

or emma bunton

indiansummer

Post by indiansummer » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:34

It wasn't that one... was it Just A Little? Yes it was, i've just googled it. That was BOSS.

As an aside, i don't think i really like The Sundays after years of trying. This may be because i've only heard that song that Tin Tin Out covered and the third album. On the other hand, maybe the earlier stuff would be no more vital to my ears so i probably just won't like them anyway.

I've just remembered The Show by Girls Aloud. That was ace!

Sootyzilla
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/sootyzilla

Post by Sootyzilla » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:35

I think the Wombles are much better than Girls Aloud.
As wrong as it was to do,
Those eyes were made to look into.

caramarydaisy
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by caramarydaisy » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:37

i love girls aloud. i went to see them in may at the arena. brilliant stuff.

i think their more recent stuff is more of a grower, untouchable is brilliant tho. i loved that way more than the promise.
i said OK! the wind said no

indiansummer

Post by indiansummer » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:41

The Promise was the first Girls Aloud single i've actively disliked, as opposed to thinking 'that's not as exciting as their older songs'.

I think they've lost their way a bit (they've broken the 'three albums' rule that all manufactured groups used to subscribe to, and i think the songwriting quality's dropped off a bit since then) but i'd still rather they were on the radio than the Kooks or sommat (sorry, they were the first boring group that gets/got a lot of airplay that i could think of). Even their less good stuff is still more catchy and fun than a lot of other things on t'wireless.

MJHibbett

Post by MJHibbett » Mon Dec 21, 2009 13:22

I prefer their earlier stuff.

indiansummer

Post by indiansummer » Mon Dec 21, 2009 13:28

MJHibbett wrote:I prefer their earlier stuff.
Before the kids got into them? :)

islandhopper

Post by islandhopper » Mon Dec 21, 2009 13:36

indiansummer wrote: for sure, although i do think McFly and Busted both had some ACE singles. McFly have lost their way a bit of late - since they decided they wanted to be 'serious artists' and not a boy band (which i suppose is fine, although a bit... 'ok, whatever') they've gingerly forgotten to write any good choruses.
They were decent enough as things go, but I'd never want to sit down and listen to any of them I don't think. I'd be more inclined to listen to Take That, but then I think they might be one of those bands you're "allowed" to like as well.

indiansummer

Post by indiansummer » Mon Dec 21, 2009 13:40

islandhopper wrote:I'd never want to sit down and listen to any of them I don't think.
What, even I'll Be OK? That was fucking awesome! It reminds me of Elvis Costello, that song - not that this should lend it any more credibility or anything. It's just a nice bonus.

There's loads of great surfy pop on their debut too. Second album goes a bit serious and ballady, but the third album's got some stonkers too.

I think you're right about Take That though. Since they came back they seem to have had an unspoken reappraisal, and suddenly everyone thinks Back For Good is fantastic. Which it is, of course, but it's odd how it wasn't fifteen years ago. Strangely, i think i like their slow songs more than their upbeat ones - it's usually the other way round for me.

islandhopper

Post by islandhopper » Mon Dec 21, 2009 13:45

indiansummer wrote:
islandhopper wrote:I'd never want to sit down and listen to any of them I don't think.
What, even I'll Be OK? That was fucking awesome! It reminds me of Elvis Costello, that song - not that this should lend it any more credibility or anything. It's just a nice bonus.

There's loads of great surfy pop on their debut too. Second album goes a bit serious and ballady, but the third album's got some stonkers too.

I think you're right about Take That though. Since they came back they seem to have had an unspoken reappraisal, and suddenly everyone thinks Back For Good is fantastic. Which it is, of course, but it's odd how it wasn't fifteen years ago. Strangely, i think i like their slow songs more than their upbeat ones - it's usually the other way round for me.
Nothing I heard from either of them made me want to listen to it again though.

The great Take That reappraisal obviously started with Hibbett's 'Lesson of the Smiths'.

indiehorse
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by indiehorse » Mon Dec 21, 2009 13:51

islandhopper wrote:
indiansummer wrote: for sure, although i do think McFly and Busted both had some ACE singles. McFly have lost their way a bit of late - since they decided they wanted to be 'serious artists' and not a boy band (which i suppose is fine, although a bit... 'ok, whatever') they've gingerly forgotten to write any good choruses.
They were decent enough as things go, but I'd never want to sit down and listen to any of them I don't think.
Neither would I; I'd bounce around my room listening to them. As I do.

linus

Post by linus » Mon Dec 21, 2009 13:54

islandhopper wrote:The great Take That reappraisal obviously started with Hibbett's 'Lesson of the Smiths'.
some of us thought it was a good record when it was released and got called 'gay' and 'lame-o' for playing it in the shop they were working in at the time (kids can be so cruel)

the reappraisal that occurred for me as a result of 'lesson of the smiths' was of the smiths not the that

Uncle Ants

Post by Uncle Ants » Mon Dec 21, 2009 14:04

Jamie explained to me the other day who Girls Aloud were ... I'm not sure they would be my cup of tea, but if they are anything like All Saints I'd give them a listen.
In Recordeo Speramus

indiansummer

Post by indiansummer » Mon Dec 21, 2009 14:06

fogofideas wrote:some of us thought it was a good record when it was released and got called 'gay' and 'lame-o' for playing it in the shop they were working in at the time (kids can be so cruel)
When it came out, i was a 13 year old listening to Oasis and Nirvana , and still of the opinion that hip-hop was rubbish because it was just talking over music (possibly my dad's opinions informing mine a little more than i imagined), and Take That and Bad Boys Inc and whoever else was around at the time... well, they were all GURLZ MUSIC. And they only liked it cos they fancied the 'band' members and they MUST have known it was shit deep down.

i think the turning points for me were realising that Back For Good sounded an awful lot like my favourite Longpigs song (On And On back then - i don't know if i still have one; they don't appeal to my ears so much these days), and then a few years later hearing Reach by S Club 7 and being really genuinely jealous that i'd never write a song as brilliant as that (i.e. utterly, completely brilliant).

Anyway, after a lot of thought about whether my anti-manufactured-music principles were in fact bollocks, i became a lot more open to pop music, and much less interested in those yawnsome arguments about authenticity and 'real music'. A good song is a good song is a good song. i think Girls Aloud have produced a lot of them (just less recently).

EDIT: i hope this doesn't look very much like i'm trying to freak people out or throw my wide-reaching tastes in people's faces or whatever. I just mean i didn't used to like manufactured music and now i think that's a pretty shoddy basis to decide you dislike something from the off. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with growing up or not.
Last edited by indiansummer on Mon Dec 21, 2009 14:09, edited 1 time in total.

linus

Post by linus » Mon Dec 21, 2009 14:09

sincerity's more important than authenticity, I reckon

that works, for me, in whatever field of music you care to mention

indiansummer

Post by indiansummer » Mon Dec 21, 2009 14:11

fogofideas wrote:sincerity's more important than authenticity, I reckon

that works, for me, in whatever field of music you care to mention
I'll go with that.

I think a lot of pop bands come across well when they look like they're having the times of their lives doing what they do, regardless of whether they know/care what they're singing about. I think enjoyment is as relevant a form of sincerity as anything else.

That's why Daphne & Celeste seemed deeply sincere whilst Vanilla just seemed a bit embarrassed.