dEUS

everything else

Moderator: Paquito

Post Reply
User avatar
gloom button
Posts: 918
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 17:57
Contact:

dEUS

Post by gloom button » Fri Oct 24, 2008 16:38

I really really like dEUS. I was listening to them loads yesterday and remembering that Tom Barman's one of my favourite writers and singers and even though Suds'n'Soda is still the best fun ever, I think Hotellounge has some sort of weirdly perfect ... something. It must be the simplest guitar riff ever there at the start, but it's just exactly the right thing at the right time. When I started playing guitar I had just started listening to dEUS and I thought that every lead part could be perfect with two notes.



And I somehow really quite like this version of Sweet Child Of Mine



I don't really know much of the new stuff mind you, except that new single (?) The Architect that I sort of didn't like, then sort of did, and now I just don't know. Maybe I should give it more of a chance.
the trouble with personalities, they're too wrapped up in style
it's too personal; they're in love with their own guile

User avatar
RITH
Posts: 3355
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 08:35
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/RITH
Location: Almere
Contact:

Re: dEUS

Post by RITH » Fri Oct 24, 2008 17:35

Sissi and I were listening to dEUS a few days ago, after I played some Zita Swoon first (Stef Kamil Carlens was in dEUS before he started Zita Swoon). Both bands for the first time in a long time. Nice timing for this thread gloomdavid!

Instant street must be one of my favourite songs ever:


But also: Roses, Nothing really ends, Fell off the floor, man, Little arithmetics and indeed of course Hotellounge and Suds & soda... it goes on.

The latest album didn't really click with me, although admittedly I only listened to it twice.

bartblueboy
Posts: 433
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 20:07

Re: dEUS

Post by bartblueboy » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:37

It's a shame to see them losing their identity and becoming so boring.
I mean, if you didn't know "the architect" was by them, you'd think it could be any one of those boring corporate "indie" rockbands.
A real shame !

User avatar
gloom button
Posts: 918
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 17:57
Contact:

Re: dEUS

Post by gloom button » Thu Oct 30, 2008 18:55

bartblueboy wrote:It's a shame to see them losing their identity and becoming so boring.
I mean, if you didn't know "the architect" was by them, you'd think it could be any one of those boring corporate "indie" rockbands.
A real shame !
I dunno, actually! I mean, I've not heard that record so I'm not really qualified to comment anyway, and I do know what you mean about 'the architect' sounding less distinctive than older stuff, but at the same time... I dunno what it is. Even just the central image in that song being so much more coherent than common-or-garden indie songwriting makes it sort of interesting to me.. maybe even more interesting because of how the song's dressed up.
the trouble with personalities, they're too wrapped up in style
it's too personal; they're in love with their own guile

User avatar
gloom button
Posts: 918
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 17:57
Contact:

Re: dEUS

Post by gloom button » Mon May 23, 2011 16:19

In retrospect, I think Via is the dEUS song that really has it all.



Rediscovering old things is a special kind of joy.
the trouble with personalities, they're too wrapped up in style
it's too personal; they're in love with their own guile

bartblueboy
Posts: 433
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 20:07

Re: dEUS

Post by bartblueboy » Mon May 23, 2011 19:03

I guess the reason why I don't like dEUS as much as I should, could be because we get hammered over the head with them over here in Belgium. It's almost sacrilege if you say you're not sure about them.
It's true Belgium has had very few bands as good as dEUS in the past (and even now), but I just don't like to be told what to like.

ahpook
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 20:36
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Re: dEUS

Post by ahpook » Mon May 23, 2011 23:27

worst case scenario is a brilliant album, but i agree they've lost it a bit.

the ideal crash is prolly the last one i really liked.

User avatar
annie
Posts: 284
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 17:45
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/andyandannie
Location: london

Re: dEUS

Post by annie » Tue May 24, 2011 12:20

bartblueboy wrote:I guess the reason why I don't like dEUS as much as I should, could be because we get hammered over the head with them over here in Belgium. It's almost sacrilege if you say you're not sure about them.
I guess I'm the opposite, but possibly because I left Belgium years ago so haven't been aware of any the media coverage of late. I'll always have a soft spot for them. Hearing Suds & Soda on the radio when I was 13, being blown away by it, then finding out that, amazingly, the band was actually Belgian is one of those moments I'll never forget. Also, at all those awful teenage parties, you always knew they'd play that song at some point in the middle of endless crap Euro dance (for which I also still have a soft spot, but that's for entirely different reasons).

They're touring again at the moment, but their London gig sold out before I found out about it. Probably for the best.

volcanogod
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:57

Re: dEUS

Post by volcanogod » Tue May 24, 2011 15:22

dEUS at some point in the mid-nineties seemed to be on MTV's Alternative Nation every week as well as Reading Fest every year. They've aged better than WHALE.

Coincidently My band WEST COAST BRIDE is playing a show in GUILDFORD with a dEUS off-shoot band: A CLEAN KITCHEN IS A HAPPY KITCHEN. They sound like SHELLAC but Jazzy

http://cleankitchen.bandcamp.com/

Furthermore dEUS seem to have had alot of band members over the years. Mind you THE FALL are winning in shear numbers though.

:)

User avatar
gloom button
Posts: 918
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 17:57
Contact:

Re: dEUS

Post by gloom button » Fri Jun 17, 2011 15:06

gloom button wrote:
bartblueboy wrote: "the architect" ... a real shame !
Even just the central image in that song being so ... coherent
Only now have I realised that the reason the image sounds coherent is that the song's about a real person.
the trouble with personalities, they're too wrapped up in style
it's too personal; they're in love with their own guile

stagedivemalta
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 08:18
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Re: dEUS

Post by stagedivemalta » Thu Aug 04, 2011 09:06

New album coming soon apparently.
Check this out:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5FevW0p ... e=youtu.be[/youtube]

User avatar
RITH
Posts: 3355
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 08:35
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/RITH
Location: Almere
Contact:

Re: dEUS

Post by RITH » Sat Aug 06, 2011 23:17

stagedivemalta wrote:

bartblueboy
Posts: 433
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 20:07

Re: dEUS

Post by bartblueboy » Sun Aug 07, 2011 18:31

Ooh, they are getting worse and worse. That new single is rubbish ! Desperately trying to be more commercial. Next they will turn into Coldplay, but with worse tunes (lol). I know being a Belgian myself I should be hugely chauvinistic about this and call it a return to form ... sadly, it is anything but in my opinion.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest