"special hat delivery!" or the interpol thread.

everything else

Moderator: Paquito

let it ride
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

"special hat delivery!" or the interpol thread.

Post by let it ride » Tue Oct 02, 2007 01:13

interpol are great. i hadn't listened to turn on the bright lights for quite some time in its full loveliness and had ACTUALLY forgotten about 'untitled'! which is well bizarre, considering it was, and now that i remember it again, still is, one of my favourite songs with them.

how strange. i love love love them, and it is even greater now that autumn is around the corner.

squirrelboutique

Post by squirrelboutique » Tue Oct 02, 2007 01:25

I like Interpol. And I like that Astrid is here because she also likes Interpol.

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Tue Oct 02, 2007 09:58

I quite like them. Or at least I liked the first record, and when I saw them live playing the songs from it. Haven't heard much from them since.

When will I take delivery of my special hat?
There ain't no-one gonna turn me round

emml
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/too_much_

Post by emml » Tue Oct 02, 2007 17:53

I like them too. But I've gotta say I'm not keen on the new album. Maybe it'll grow on me.

whininggirl

Post by whininggirl » Wed Oct 03, 2007 23:42

andyroo wrote:I quite like them. Or at least I liked the first record, and when I saw them live playing the songs from it. Haven't heard much from them since.
Were they any good live?

I love them, have never seen them, but I have had several friends who love them and say they are crappy live.

let it ride

Post by let it ride » Thu Oct 04, 2007 00:49

no no no. they USED to be a bit... stiff on stage. like they were out on drugs and couldn't have any less passion for playing. it was perfectly played, but with no passion. this may have been because at least paul banks was WELL out of it, all the time, on drugs. heh.

seeing them this summer though, oh MAN what a difference! that gig went straight up to my number one gig of all time! go see them!!

andyroo, the hat delivery is a reference to the night in stockholm, post that very druggy gig, when, oh gosh, where to start. well. there had been a gig and post-gig beers and stuff, and then there was a wee party in paul banks' hotel room as their hotel was across the road from the venue. so we were all there, some people and me and my always-partner-in-crime-stepsister, and while being introduced to vodka, we hung out and talked and watched tv and it was all quite jolly, with an air of creepyness too. but that's just the way those things go. there's always some random drum tech with INTENTIONS or whatever.

at this point in time, paul banks had let his hair grow too long, and he wore this ridiculous fedora style hat ALL the time. we just referred to it as "hatten", the hat. but so far, that night, there was no sight of the hat, and we had been very happy about this, but also discussed where it might be.

then at this little party thing, there is a knock on the door. a man hands off a brown bag. paul banks calmly sits down, opens the brown bag, and takes out, YES, you guessed it, the infamous hat my stepsister and i had spent MONTHS mocking. at this point of time we talked for at least two hours a day on the phone, apart from seeing each other at least once a week and all that, so we had had a bizarre amount of time to discuss it.

it was my worst ever want-to-so-badly-but-oh-god-no-am-not-allowed-to-laugh moments.

also: i love the new album. but i am just overwhelmingly accepting of them, i think. with some bands or artists, you just like them too much to ever really doubt them properly.

whininggirl

Post by whininggirl » Fri Oct 05, 2007 06:24

Astrid wrote:no no no. they USED to be a bit... stiff on stage. like they were out on drugs and couldn't have any less passion for playing. it was perfectly played, but with no passion. this may have been because at least paul banks was WELL out of it, all the time, on drugs. heh..
Yeah that'd do it. I'll try to check them out soon because I trust your judgment miss Astrid. I do so love "turn on the bright lights". And the new one as well!

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Mon Oct 08, 2007 14:02

Astrid, that's a great story.

I think that might be why I've not really followed Interpol's career that close... they seem like a right bunch of arseholes, however good their music may or not be.
There ain't no-one gonna turn me round

gloom button

Post by gloom button » Mon Oct 08, 2007 14:35

That is a great story. I thought the thread title was because everyone hates Interpol.
the trouble with personalities, they're too wrapped up in style
it's too personal; they're in love with their own guile

stolenwine
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/stolenwine/

Post by stolenwine » Mon Oct 08, 2007 16:17

mr.stolenwine likes them, and i'm going to see them with him next month. i'm not exactly a fan in that i don't go out of my way to listen to their records, but i do like them whenever they're on in the flat. there's one recent song which is really catchy that i like, but i keep forgetting the name of it.

does he still wear the hat, astrid? i'll look forward to seeing it!
tell me how good it is / to wake from a bad dream / and have someone there and I will tell you / how butterfly wings stay dry in the rain
--
stolen wine social

bocken

Post by bocken » Mon Oct 08, 2007 18:02

Blonde Redhead are supporting them at Ally Pally, so I'm thinking of going along if I can get tickets cheapish from somewhere, it's just up the road from me anyway.

Love the first album, the second never really grabbed me and I haven't really heard anything from the new one.

let it ride

Post by let it ride » Wed Oct 24, 2007 00:41

They are totally not arseholes. Although people tend to be when they are on drugs, but Paul Banks wasn't even really a creep then, just the normal drug kind.

I was drunk in the hotel lobby (and was totally paranoid because I thought that the concierge thought I was a hooker because it was half four in the morning on a Tuesday night and I was alone because I'd kind of lost everyone somehow and then in my head I got into an argument with myself over why I had those feelings, you know, typical short skirt SO SHE MUST BE A WHORE feminist stuff going on in my drunken mind) and then Carlos D arrived and I shouted in the empty lobby

"CARLOS!! HI!!" (i had never met him before) but he still came over and shook my hand and we talked a litlte, and then he walked off. I thought that was well nice, considering I was a drunkfaced loon at the time.

And I kicked their drummer Sam on his shin TWICE by accident when I was trying to be cute swinging my legs while sitting on a table and I wanted to cry with embarrassment but he thought it was fine anyway.

And S, no he doesn't wear the hat no more! ALTHOUGH he is looking pretty nautical these days, VERY Norwegian fisherman, but like a really sexy Norwegian fisherman.

And GLOOMBUTTON I see where you get your username from, mister, with that attitude! I have enough love for Interpol (well, their music really, I don't exactly know them very well!) to go around.

ANYWAY, I had totally missed there were replies and secretly been a tiny bit bitter about no one loving my story, which I know it makes me smug to admit but whatever, IS A GREAT STORY.

I am glad you did.

SO!

I almost felt like vomiting/crying/laughing just now when I heard the intro to Obstacle 1, because it was so great and I love their music so much. But I mean, isn't that a bit.. INTENSE?

I was so not expecting it, so I ended up laughing and welling up?

JEEZ. So not accountable for when it comes to Interpol.

Oh and also, I think it's lovely how lots of my sense of (or lack of, depending who you ask, ha ha ha!) style comes from them. I love that. because it's not like I'll wear a shit hat, or look like a sexy Norwegian fisherwoman (although those Norwegian knits are very cute) but both Amanda and I have a weird connection to them style-wise, ha ha.

That gig this summer, it really was the closest thing I have ever been to a trance-like stage, I totally just went somewhere else, and even got into a fight a bit with this gnarly guy because he was being a creep to Amanda, who is very petite. Amanda and I hadn't even had ONE drink of alcohol or anything like that, it was so amazing. Especially as it was so unexpected. I totally CRIED after the gig in my fabulous black dress, because I was so overwhelmed and never quite got to that bit in the show, but very nearly so. But ya, that was so amazing. I don't know if any gig will ever top that for me.

There sure is something very intense about them.

Ok so this is too long now. Goodnight.
clear eyes full hearts can't lose

let it ride

Post by let it ride » Wed Oct 24, 2007 00:49

"Love can you love me babe love is this loving babe is time turning around?"

that bit makes me shiver so much, because of what bit in "Narc" it leads to, the way the drums change into a much more open sound. Oh man.

OH right, goodnight.

let it ride

Post by let it ride » Wed Oct 24, 2007 00:50

I can't believe I like a song that has 'babe' in it. Apart from i've got you babe which reminds me of an amazing ten-hour flight to Miami and a nostalgia plane radio station that played it circa 34 times during the flight.

let it ride

Post by let it ride » Wed Feb 13, 2008 01:58

what light wrote: I almost felt like vomiting/crying/laughing just now when I heard the intro to Obstacle 1, because it was so great and I love their music so much. But I mean, isn't that a bit.. INTENSE?

I was so not expecting it, so I ended up laughing and welling up?

JEEZ. So not accountable for when it comes to Interpol.

That gig this summer, it really was the closest thing I have ever been to a trance-like stage, I totally just went somewhere else, and even got into a fight a bit with this gnarly guy because he was being a creep to Amanda, who is very petite. Amanda and I hadn't even had ONE drink of alcohol or anything like that, it was so amazing. Especially as it was so unexpected. I totally CRIED after the gig in my fabulous black dress, because I was so overwhelmed and never quite got to that bit in the show, but very nearly so. But ya, that was so amazing. I don't know if any gig will ever top that for me.

There sure is something very intense about them.
Ok seriously. Since that gig in July, I have not been able to shake this feeling, the same feeling I got at that gig, everytime I listen to them. Do you guys know what I mean? Overwhelming feelings, of joy and calmness and then also a slight nausea and like you have such a weight in your heart, all heavy and a bit hard to breathe almost.

"Pioneer to the falls" gives me goosebumps throughout. It is freaking me out a bit that I can get this way from music. It's more than just the normal amount of feelings I have for music (probably too much to start with.)

I don't know WHAT happens with me when I listen to them. In my secular world it's the closest thing to a religious experience. I am used to feeling different psychologically and maybe a bit extra pumped up by some exciting party songs, but not this physically odd.

I am rather fascinated by it, I don't react to anything else like this.

You try, straight into my heart
You fly straight into my heart
Girl, I know you try
But here comes the fall

let it ride

Re: "special hat delivery!" or the interpol thread.

Post by let it ride » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:52

Still mega nuts about Interpol!

1. The gig I went to in Hicksville Festival, Sweden was SO worth meeting all the people I've been avoiding all my life for. OH MY GOD. When they started the gig with 'Pioneer To The Falls' I nearly shat myself. It was amazingly good.
2. PAUL BANKS AND HELENA CHRISTENSEN is the weirdest couple, ever. EVER. I hate that toad bitch. Not that I want to be with Paul Banks or anything but she is like the most annoying one ever. All faux-pretentious. Seriously. It could've been John Mayer or something. Why zone in on PB? Hates it.

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Fri Apr 17, 2009 21:07

please don't hate me for this.

i have a copy of the fukd id 12" interpol did on chemical underground, i saw one sell for over $200 this week and i'm on the dole.

umm, does anyone want to give absurd amounts of money for this record? it's going on ebay soon i reckon

(sorry)
I am struck speechless by the nape of your neck.

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

let it ride

Post by let it ride » Sat Apr 18, 2009 00:06

haha i don't care, if it was me rather than the thread itself (which come to think of it, is pretty much me!) you were apologising to. i wouldn't want it as i have no interest in any type of collectory stuff... good luck with it, hope you get as much for your copy!

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:59

let it ride wrote:haha i don't care, if it was me rather than the thread itself (which come to think of it, is pretty much me!) you were apologising to. i wouldn't want it as i have no interest in any type of collectory stuff... good luck with it, hope you get as much for your copy!
thanks for not hating me for spam. i hate being the evil fan-bleeder, but it seem people really are willing to pay on the interwebs so i thought i'd offer it here and on another interpol-dedicated forum before i put it on the open market. i'm trying to find a happy medium between ripping off a later-comer dedicated fan and totally ripping them off completely. i'm a friendly capitalist.
I am struck speechless by the nape of your neck.

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

let it ride

Post by let it ride » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:39

i really don't mind that stuff. hey, if you got there ages ago and acquired a record you now don't care for too much, why not sell it? i don't see an issue with it. maybe that's because i stay out of all collector's item business!