Madrid Popfest (11-12 March 2011)

staying out for the summer?
User avatar
eolrin
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 21:50
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/eolrin
Location: Spain
Contact:

Re: Madrid Popfest (11-12 March 2011)

Post by eolrin » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:07

Madrid Popfest in ON !!!


Outcognito
Posts: 1024
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:26
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: Smoke-on-Toast
Contact:

Re: Madrid Popfest (11-12 March 2011)

Post by Outcognito » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:38

Will be there around tomorrow lunch time - looking forward to the weekend!
It's so easy when the door is wide open.

User avatar
Rocker
Posts: 1078
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 15:47
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Rockerq
Location: Bristol, UK
Contact:

Re: Madrid Popfest (11-12 March 2011)

Post by Rocker » Fri Mar 11, 2011 13:18

See you all late tonight!
Cheers!

Rocker

Listen to my show at http://www.dandelionradio.com - the internet radio station inspired by John Peel.

User avatar
Rocker
Posts: 1078
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 15:47
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Rockerq
Location: Bristol, UK
Contact:

Re: Madrid Popfest (11-12 March 2011)

Post by Rocker » Sun Mar 13, 2011 17:14

Fantastic Popfest! Thanks to all the organisers & hope to return in 2012!

Here's my one-hour DJ set from the closing party last night at Fun House:

01 Lee Moses - "Bad Girl (Parts 1 & 2)"
02 The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart - "Belong"
03 The Sea Urchins - "Pristine Christine"
04 The Only Ones - "Another Girl Another Planet"
05 Hefner - "Pull Yourself Together"
06 The Chesterf!elds - "Ask Johnny Dee"
07 Orange Juice - "Blue Boy"
08 Primal Scream - "Velocity Girl"
09 Standard Fare - "Suitcase"
10 Aislers Set - "The Red Door"
11 The Tigermilks - "Get Me Away, I'm Dying"
12 Paul Hawkins & Thee Awkward Silences - "Sleep the Clock Around"
13 The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart - "Say No To Love (Session)"
14 The Stooges - "No Fun"
15 Zipper - "A Good Man"
16 The Clouds - "Get Out Of My Dream"
17 The Rosehips - "I Shouldn't Have To Say"
18 The Groove Farm - "Nancy Sinatra (Alt Mix)"
19 Tullycraft - "The Punks Are Writing Love Songs"
20 The Kinks - "I Need You"
Cheers!

Rocker

Listen to my show at http://www.dandelionradio.com - the internet radio station inspired by John Peel.

User avatar
Trev
Posts: 6877
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:56
Last.fm: lostmusic
Location: Cardiff
Contact:

Re: Madrid Popfest (11-12 March 2011)

Post by Trev » Sun Mar 13, 2011 17:40

Nice to see The Stooges in that list. :-)
not really here

Bubblegum Records
Posts: 499
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 16:42
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/bubblegumrecord
Location: Glasgow
Contact:

Re: Madrid Popfest (11-12 March 2011)

Post by Bubblegum Records » Sun Mar 13, 2011 21:17

Popfests. Wonderfully cared-for-nights of pop with so much detail and planning. It was no surprise then that Madrid’s 1st Popfest had all the traits that define these pop music wonders. I couldn’t make the welcome party, but did manage to catch up with Maria and David (Zipper) and their friend Jose on Thursday. On Friday I arrived at the venue just as Horowitz took the stage. A huddle gathered in front of the stage and whooped their delight. I was intrigued by the video cameras and wondered when we’d be seeing the video online. I moved back to the entrance area, picked up my perfectly crafted Popfest Brochure and then milled about at the merchandise stall.

Zipper took to the stage - a trio of pop-noise that Madrid can be immensely proud of. They sped through their set at a break neck pace stopping only to say thank you, or because they had mis-timed the start of a song - inevitable at the speed they were playing at. I was enthralled by them. As a fan of their recordings, live – wow! Everyone else their felt so too and demanded an encore. Zipper duly obliged. It's not often a non headline band is encouraged to play and encore.

After Zipper I felt quite tired and went back to the merchandise stall, said hello to Keith (Orchids), and knew then I would not last the entire night. I went to the bar got myself a water, watched the rest of the bands but was in a bit of a haze (not alcohol as I hadn’t been drinking). Something was afoot.

Saturday was just plain strange. I felt weird all day and as I was leaving to go the venue felt very ill indeed. I decided to relax and go to the venue later. Sadly, the illness got worse and I just couldn’t go. Of all the bands on the Saturday I was really looking forward to hearing Cola Jet Set and Tender Trap. I had seen Amelia (Tender Trap) on the Friday and that had made me doubly excited. Not to see them live was a huge disappointment.

Thanks go to the organisers of Madrid’s 1st Popfest. What a show! I’m sorry I did not get to spend more time with people, or indeed meet Eva or Jorge. Thanks to Maria, David and Jose for meeting with me on Thursday.

Smiles,
G
For bubblegum boys and girls
---------------------------------
www.bubblegumrecords.org.uk
www.myspace.com/bubblegumrecordsscotland

User avatar
Rocker
Posts: 1078
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 15:47
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Rockerq
Location: Bristol, UK
Contact:

Re: Madrid Popfest (11-12 March 2011)

Post by Rocker » Sun Mar 13, 2011 21:31

Trev wrote:Nice to see The Stooges in that list. :-)
Well at a venue called Fun House I had to play something by the Stooges!
Cheers!

Rocker

Listen to my show at http://www.dandelionradio.com - the internet radio station inspired by John Peel.

User avatar
String Bean Jen
Posts: 1136
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 17:00
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/string_bean_jen/
Location: Ealing Studios, London
Contact:

Re: Madrid Popfest (11-12 March 2011)

Post by String Bean Jen » Sun Mar 13, 2011 21:34

Bubblegum Records wrote:Popfests. Wonderfully cared-for-nights of pop with so much detail and planning. It was no surprise then that Madrid’s 1st Popfest had all the traits that define these pop music wonders. I couldn’t make the welcome party, but did manage to catch up with Maria and David (Zipper) and their friend Jose on Thursday. On Friday I arrived at the venue just as Horowitz took the stage. A huddle gathered in front of the stage and whooped their delight. I was intrigued by the video cameras and wondered when we’d be seeing the video online. I moved back to the entrance area, picked up my perfectly crafted Popfest Brochure and then milled about at the merchandise stall.
...
Thanks go to the organisers of Madrid’s 1st Popfest. What a show! I’m sorry I did not get to spend more time with people, or indeed meet Eva or Jorge. Thanks to Maria, David and Jose for meeting with me on Thursday.

Smiles,
G
Aw, Gary I always like reading your enthusiastic posts and memories of gigs and fests that you have been to. I'm sorry you got ill right in the middle of what looked to be a brilliant weekend, again missing your beloved Tender Trap! Ack. I think the solution is this: you really must bring them to Glasgow!

I look forward to more people's thoughts on the Madrid Popfest. I'm sure it's been loads of fun. And I hope it's been enough of a success that the dedicated group of organisers decide it is worth it to do another one next year (when I can hopefully attend!).
There's more than one use for every part

Bubblegum Records
Posts: 499
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 16:42
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/bubblegumrecord
Location: Glasgow
Contact:

Re: Madrid Popfest (11-12 March 2011)

Post by Bubblegum Records » Sun Mar 13, 2011 22:58

Jen, my thoughts exactly, how do I get Tender Trap and Cola Jet Set to come join us in December? Despite not being able to enjoy all of it, I did enjoy what I attended. We had plans to go walking in the Casa De Campo with a picnic - that too was scuppered. There' will always be next year :-)
For bubblegum boys and girls
---------------------------------
www.bubblegumrecords.org.uk
www.myspace.com/bubblegumrecordsscotland

User avatar
eolrin
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 21:50
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/eolrin
Location: Spain
Contact:

Re: Madrid Popfest (11-12 March 2011)

Post by eolrin » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:38

Rocker wrote:Fantastic Popfest! Thanks to all the organisers & hope to return in 2012!

Here's my one-hour DJ set from the closing party last night at Fun House:

01 Lee Moses - "Bad Girl (Parts 1 & 2)"
02 The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart - "Belong"
03 The Sea Urchins - "Pristine Christine"
04 The Only Ones - "Another Girl Another Planet"
05 Hefner - "Pull Yourself Together"
06 The Chesterf!elds - "Ask Johnny Dee"
07 Orange Juice - "Blue Boy"
08 Primal Scream - "Velocity Girl"
09 Standard Fare - "Suitcase"
10 Aislers Set - "The Red Door"
11 The Tigermilks - "Get Me Away, I'm Dying"
12 Paul Hawkins & Thee Awkward Silences - "Sleep the Clock Around"
13 The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart - "Say No To Love (Session)"
14 The Stooges - "No Fun"
15 Zipper - "A Good Man"
16 The Clouds - "Get Out Of My Dream"
17 The Rosehips - "I Shouldn't Have To Say"
18 The Groove Farm - "Nancy Sinatra (Alt Mix)"
19 Tullycraft - "The Punks Are Writing Love Songs"
20 The Kinks - "I Need You"
You´re a great man Rocker and I´m very pleased to meet you.
Thank you so much for participate in Madrid Popfest.
If you have any problem today for going to the airport or whatever, please phone me.

a layer of chips
Posts: 18616
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 09:17
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: Nottingham, UK
Contact:

Re: Madrid Popfest (11-12 March 2011)

Post by a layer of chips » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:40

Rocker wrote:Fantastic Popfest! Thanks to all the organisers & hope to return in 2012!

Here's my one-hour DJ set from the closing party last night at Fun House:

01 Lee Moses - "Bad Girl (Parts 1 & 2)"
02 The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart - "Belong"
03 The Sea Urchins - "Pristine Christine"
04 The Only Ones - "Another Girl Another Planet"
05 Hefner - "Pull Yourself Together"
06 The Chesterf!elds - "Ask Johnny Dee"
07 Orange Juice - "Blue Boy"
08 Primal Scream - "Velocity Girl"
09 Standard Fare - "Suitcase"
10 Aislers Set - "The Red Door"
11 The Tigermilks - "Get Me Away, I'm Dying"
12 Paul Hawkins & Thee Awkward Silences - "Sleep the Clock Around"
13 The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart - "Say No To Love (Session)"
14 The Stooges - "No Fun"
15 Zipper - "A Good Man"
16 The Clouds - "Get Out Of My Dream"
17 The Rosehips - "I Shouldn't Have To Say"
18 The Groove Farm - "Nancy Sinatra (Alt Mix)"
19 Tullycraft - "The Punks Are Writing Love Songs"
20 The Kinks - "I Need You"
HOW COULD YOU PLAY THE STOOGES AT A POPFEST? BOOOOOOOO.

(winkface)

User avatar
eolrin
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 21:50
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/eolrin
Location: Spain
Contact:

Re: Madrid Popfest (11-12 March 2011)

Post by eolrin » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:50

Bubblegum Records wrote: Saturday was just plain strange. I felt weird all day and as I was leaving to go the venue felt very ill indeed. I decided to relax and go to the venue later. Sadly, the illness got worse and I just couldn’t go. Of all the bands on the Saturday I was really looking forward to hearing Cola Jet Set and Tender Trap. I had seen Amelia (Tender Trap) on the Friday and that had made me doubly excited. Not to see them live was a huge disappointment.

Thanks go to the organisers of Madrid’s 1st Popfest. What a show! I’m sorry I did not get to spend more time with people, or indeed meet Eva or Jorge. Thanks to Maria, David and Jose for meeting with me on Thursday.

Smiles,
G
I´m so sorry for your illness.
You know we´re looking for you all two nights... at least I wait to see you at Indiectracks.
I´ll try to upload some videos of Tender Trap and Cola Jet Set shows just for you.
Get well !!

User avatar
Trev
Posts: 6877
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:56
Last.fm: lostmusic
Location: Cardiff
Contact:

Re: Madrid Popfest (11-12 March 2011)

Post by Trev » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:55

a layer of chips wrote:HOW COULD YOU PLAY THE STOOGES AT A POPFEST? BOOOOOOOO.

(winkface)
You're a very naughty man.
not really here

User avatar
eolrin
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 21:50
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/eolrin
Location: Spain
Contact:

Re: Madrid Popfest (11-12 March 2011)

Post by eolrin » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:32

String Bean Jen wrote:

I look forward to more people's thoughts on the Madrid Popfest. I'm sure it's been loads of fun. And I hope it's been enough of a success that the dedicated group of organisers decide it is worth it to do another one next year (when I can hopefully attend!).
Hi String Bean Jen,
I think next year Madrid Popfest will come back and we will be waiting for you. ;-D

User avatar
eolrin
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 21:50
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/eolrin
Location: Spain
Contact:

Re: Madrid Popfest (11-12 March 2011)

Post by eolrin » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:40

First picture.

Image

User avatar
freson
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 21:35
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: Nottingham

Re: Madrid Popfest (11-12 March 2011)

Post by freson » Mon Mar 14, 2011 21:30

I can only think of positives about the weekend. Well organised(it pretty much ran on time throughout), the sound was excellent, the choice of bands was spot on and there was a very enthusiastic crowd.

Either the British paying punters(i.e. not in, or with, a band) were very quiet or there were only the four of us in the crowd. Hopefully there'll be more next year.

The only thing I would suggest is offering some tapas. Going from 7.30 to past midnight without any grub proved difficult.

I've put a few photos on facebook at:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... =565001488

User avatar
String Bean Jen
Posts: 1136
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 17:00
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/string_bean_jen/
Location: Ealing Studios, London
Contact:

Re: Madrid Popfest (11-12 March 2011)

Post by String Bean Jen » Mon Mar 14, 2011 22:38

Did I read correctly in a review of the Popfest that Ronnie from The Orchids sang the Monster Bobby part on Allo Darlin's 'Dreaming'? If so, I would loooove to see a video!
There's more than one use for every part

islandhopper
Posts: 3441
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 00:44
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/mi-fhein
Location: I belong to Glasgow

Re: Madrid Popfest (11-12 March 2011)

Post by islandhopper » Mon Mar 14, 2011 23:03

String Bean Jen wrote:Did I read correctly in a review of the Popfest that Ronnie from The Orchids sang the Monster Bobby part on Allo Darlin's 'Dreaming'? If so, I would loooove to see a video!
He did that at the Glasgow show.

Bubblegum Records
Posts: 499
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 16:42
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/bubblegumrecord
Location: Glasgow
Contact:

Re: Madrid Popfest (11-12 March 2011)

Post by Bubblegum Records » Mon Mar 14, 2011 23:47

eolrin wrote:
Bubblegum Records wrote: Saturday was just plain strange. I felt weird all day and as I was leaving to go the venue felt very ill indeed. I decided to relax and go to the venue later. Sadly, the illness got worse and I just couldn’t go. Of all the bands on the Saturday I was really looking forward to hearing Cola Jet Set and Tender Trap. I had seen Amelia (Tender Trap) on the Friday and that had made me doubly excited. Not to see them live was a huge disappointment.

Thanks go to the organisers of Madrid’s 1st Popfest. What a show! I’m sorry I did not get to spend more time with people, or indeed meet Eva or Jorge. Thanks to Maria, David and Jose for meeting with me on Thursday.

Smiles,
G
I´m so sorry for your illness.
You know we´re looking for you all two nights... at least I wait to see you at Indiectracks.
I´ll try to upload some videos of Tender Trap and Cola Jet Set shows just for you.
Get well !!

I will look out for the videos. For me, seeing Zipper was well worth the trip. I WILL be there (hopefully well) next year. :-)
For bubblegum boys and girls
---------------------------------
www.bubblegumrecords.org.uk
www.myspace.com/bubblegumrecordsscotland

User avatar
FactCheckinCuz
Posts: 192
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 15:40

Re: Madrid Popfest (11-12 March 2011)

Post by FactCheckinCuz » Tue Mar 15, 2011 13:24

Hat's off to all the organisers - it was a great festival. Jane and I could only get over for the Saturday but it was well worth it. It was great to see Fred i Son who were the finds of the night, reminded me of the June Brides a bit. Given the lack of food at the venue it was great to eat the free biscuit we got with their album.

Also great to see Cola Jet Set on home turf, so to speak, the crowd went bananas when they were on.

But my solid gold moment of the weekend was when Rocker played 'No Fun' at he Fun House. Marvellous!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest