Jens Lekman

popbands, poplabels, poprecords

Moderator: shaved head thrills

let it ride
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Jens Lekman

Post by let it ride » Sat Jan 19, 2008 02:02

The smalltalk section of his website always makes me happy. A bit thoughtful.

But also a wee bit inferior.

I think the new album is lovely anyway. I hope he's happy in Melbourne!

soft revolution
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/duncydunc

Post by soft revolution » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:40

UK & Irish tour coming up too.

11 Camber Sands ATP vs Pitchfork
12 Nottingham Rescue Rooms
13 Newcastle the Cluny
14 Leeds Woodhouse Club
15 Glasgow Oran Mor
18 Minehead ATP vs Explosions in the Sky
19 Birmingham Glee Club
21 Manchester Academy 3
23 Belfast TBA
24 Galway Roisin Dubh
25 Dublin the Village

I get to go to the Glee Club again. Goody gum drops.
And by me, I mean, Flexo.

Elvistears
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/elvistears

Post by Elvistears » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:48

sarcasm? I suppose the inability to get up from your seat and overpriced beer aren't the best... Did you ever go to Ronnie Scott's? That was horrid.

Hurray for Jens, though!

humblebee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy

Post by humblebee » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:55

Hobart Paving wrote:sarcasm? I suppose the inability to get up from your seat and overpriced beer aren't the best... Did you ever go to Ronnie Scott's? That was horrid.
I saw Guy Chadwick play there once. I ordered a pint and two soft drinks and it came to about £9.50. And this was about ten years ago.

round bits of plastic

Post by round bits of plastic » Wed Feb 06, 2008 13:08

humblebee wrote:
Hobart Paving wrote:sarcasm? I suppose the inability to get up from your seat and overpriced beer aren't the best... Did you ever go to Ronnie Scott's? That was horrid.
I saw Guy Chadwick play there once. I ordered a pint and two soft drinks and it came to about £9.50. And this was about ten years ago.
I'm in a mood with Jens Lekman.

soft revolution
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/duncydunc

Post by soft revolution » Wed Feb 06, 2008 14:01

Hobart Paving wrote:sarcasm?
To be honest, I'm not actually sure myself. I quite like it for several reasons and dislike it for others. The atmosphere is always more like a work event rather than a gig - but sometimes I'm in that sitting down and eating food while watching a softly-spoken band mood.

They've got one 'part' of music covered quite well by putting on people like Jens Lekman, Au Revoir Simone and Camera Obscura. I can't imagine Camera Obscura at The Barfly.
And by me, I mean, Flexo.

lynsosaurus

Re: Jens Lekman

Post by lynsosaurus » Tue May 06, 2008 13:04

i just got a copy of 'night falls over kortedala' in the mail. how fucking GOOD is this album?! 'the opposite of hallelujah' is glorious.

let it ride

Post by let it ride » Tue May 06, 2008 14:43

Hee hee, I can imagine you playing air trumpet to that song! It was on an EP years ago, right after his first album, so I've had it for quite a while but I remember feeling addicted to it when I found that mp3!

My favourites are Your Arms Around Me (which he's also played forever, I remember him playing it live in Stockholm in 2005) and Kanske Är Jag Kär I Dig, it's so freakin' cute! Oh it's all great.
clear eyes full hearts can't lose

meepmeep
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/sanglot/

Post by meepmeep » Tue May 06, 2008 14:52

I saw a Jens Lekman concert on Swedish television a month or so ago. I'm afraid Mr Lekman is going bald. Quickly. He looked nothing like he did first time I saw him five years ago. Also, yesterday I put Sweet Summer's Night on Hammer Hill on a very summery iPod playlist to listen to when I go for walks in the sun. It will always be my favourite Jens Lekman song, without a doubt.
beepbeep

sinus supremus

Post by sinus supremus » Fri May 09, 2008 05:38

I saw him about 3 years ago in a really small setting, it was amazing. When he played at SxSw this year I was incredibly bored. I turned to my sister afterwards and we both agreed and we love Jens.

grumpytimes
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/chrishafa

Post by grumpytimes » Fri May 09, 2008 11:20

I saw him twice a little over two years ago and he was amazing - one of the best shows I've ever been to. Then I saw him last year at End of the Road festival and was massivly dissapointed. It seems like he's been doing the same show for too long now with the same jokes and anecdotes and even he's sick of it. I'm seeing him at ATP this weekend so hopefully he can win me over again. I'm especially interesting in seeing how his show compares to the Jonathan Richman show tonight as at the peak of my Jens mania (around the release of When I Said...) I was raving to all my friends about how he's this generation Jojo.

SophieC
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/jamiec

Post by SophieC » Wed May 14, 2008 12:00

i saw him twice on monday. once at a secret gig in a little tea shop where we all sat on a rug and watched him play accompanied by just cello and violin. it was ace little place to see him and he seemed to enjoy it and the little venue really goes to show what a great voice he has (if you like that sort of thing) with him singing acappella for bits of the show. and he was good enough to put all my friends on the guestlist for the evening's gig (except me, boo). nice chap.

then we went and sat in the park for the afternoon drinking wine, buying african slingshots from 15 year old junior alan sugar thatcher children and playing football badly.

in the evening i got to hear that bloody lengthy story about his penfriend nina for the third time. but stuff like 'black cab' (best song alert! i hope the left banke get money off him) and 'the opposite of hallelujah' which became a medley with a song i have wracked my brains for bloody hours trying to think of and annoyingly can't remember. and he did a little bit of a song at the merch desk which i missed because i thought he was going to play outside. piss. his backing band are a bit easy on the eye and all.

the less said about his hairline the better though. poor jens. all my favourite singer songwriters are going prematurely bald. i must carry a curse.
When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called 'the People's Stick.'

grumpytimes
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/chrishafa

Post by grumpytimes » Wed May 14, 2008 13:04

'the opposite of hallelujah' which became a medley with a song i have wracked my brains for bloody hours trying to think of and annoyingly can't remember
'Give Me Just A Little More Time' by The Chairman of the Board by any chance?
i hope the left banke get money off him
When I saw him at End of the Road the best part was that they came in to a remix of 'I've Got Something On My Mind' , but with the melody removed so unless you were as cool as me you wouldn't have 'got it'. Then he started playing the melody over it with his guitar and then the band slowly turned it into 'Black Cab'. It was awesome.

The first time I saw him it was just him on his own and although it was in a music venue (jeez how obvious!) he didn't play on the stage and there was only like 20 people there so it didn't really feel like a gig and a bit more like the picnic you described. We also all got to do our best Calvin Johnson impressions when he played 'Pocketful of Money'.

let it ride

Post by let it ride » Wed May 14, 2008 13:20

I have seen him in quite a few settings now:

1. Accelerator festival in July 2004 (I think), in Stockholm. Nice, summer sunset gig with people half-heartedly watching. Full band.
2. Popaganda free festival in May, 2005, in Stockholm. Quite lovely as there were about 10 000 happy, tipsy young Stockholmers there to drunkenly sing along to all his songs in the spring evening. Full band.
3. Vitabergsparken, July 2005, in Stockholm. Playing as part of the free park concerts together with Kristofer Åström, in a beautiful amphitheatre. He played alone, with a few different instruments plus a vinyl player.
4. The Faversham, Leeds, January 2006. I think this is the gig I've liked the least with him, but then he said he hated that entire tour so maybe it showed through a bit. Top moment: When singing a Swedish song in the pool room, on his own after the gig with a wee crowd, he forgot the words and I filled him in singing the line, and it was lovely.
5. Accelerator festival, July 2007, in Stockholm. Quite nice really, full band but expanded it a bit more with extra people. Rather good fun, but at this point, you know, I know exactly what he'll do. Some of it is really repetetive (some stories in particular) but most of it is charming and fun, and he sounds really good live. Plus he did a duet with Frida Hyvönen which is always a good thing.
clear eyes full hearts can't lose

meepmeep
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/sanglot/

Post by meepmeep » Wed May 14, 2008 22:07

Haha, I shall also list the times I've seen Jens Lekman.

First time, July 2003, when he still called himself Rocky Dennis. It was a brilliant gig in the middle of nowhere (Mitt Nästa Liv festival, the smallest and best festival thingy ever). It was only him (wearing a red t-shirt and black jeans; a style that most of my male friends ripped off after that) and a guitar on stage and the rest of the music was on a mini disc (that's how long ago it was! No iPods!). It was great and luckily my friend recorded it on his mum's tape recorder and ripped it so now everyone can find it on the interweb and I can listen to it forever, like now.

Second time at a bit of a secret gig in the woods behind the camping bit at Emmaboda festival 2003. First I didn't know what was going on, what that commotion in the forest was, but then I remembered. That's also recorded and on the internet + sampled on the album version of Sweet Summer's Night on Hammer Hill.

Third time was in London, Strange Fruit Festival, November 2003. I don't remember anything from that. But I do remember that was when he bought a ukulele which he later that evening played to a friend of mine in an attempt to chat her up. It worked well and they snogged in the closet in our hotel room (I have slept in the same room as Jens Lekman!!!!!! That's my tenuous claim to fame!)

And I think the fourth and last time was that Accelerator festival just mentioned. I felt very cheated because he had suddenly become sort of famous and his band was bigger than the crowd was the first time I saw him (almost). But it didn't matter, it was a fantastic sunny day and I had found a discarded festival bracelet thing and I got in for free with it.

I don't care that much for Jens Lekman these days though. But he was the soundtrack to so many magnificent things. I only listen to his songs to reminisce about when I was young and wild and stuff. Nowadays I only listen to old people's music, like...well, old people's stuff, while I do grown up things like loking after my plants.
beepbeep

Colin
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/colinbmx

Post by Colin » Wed May 14, 2008 22:34

I'm looking forward to seeing Jens in Glasgow tomorrow night. I can offer some premature balding solidarity, at least.

Uncle Ants

Post by Uncle Ants » Thu May 15, 2008 10:45

I saw the Monday night gig at the Rescue Rooms:

1. I'd never seen him live before, so all these old anecdotes seemed new to me, but from what other posters have said, he needs to update em. Maybe he should have a chat with Billy Bragg for some tips on tween songs banter. Billy talks til the cows come home, but he does usually have new stories every tour :)

2. It was very entertaining, Auntie and I enjoyed it a lot ... apart from the posh girl behind us who wouldn't stop talking loudly (seems a standard fixture in the RR these days.

3. The drummer was very loud

4. I thought the bass player was sweet, but she did look a bit like Pob.

5. He broke his keyboard

6. What's with the keys round all their necks?

7. He is indeed going a bit Julius Caesar up top ... still its hardly his fault.

8. JayMay, the support was also a bit of an ear opener I thought, though I hope she has some songs about something other than breaking up with her boyfriend ... great voice mind.

9. The beer was disgusting as usual ... do they EVER clean those pipes?
In Recordeo Speramus

JohaN

Post by JohaN » Thu May 15, 2008 10:47

all this talk of baldiness makes me re-evaluate the "night falls over kortedala" album cover in a big way... :)
1 wasn't for the money
2 wasn't for the show
3 is GO! GO! GO!

SophieC
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/jamiec

Post by SophieC » Thu May 15, 2008 10:59

Uncle Ants wrote:I saw the Monday night gig at the Rescue Rooms:

1. I'd never seen him live before, so all these old anecdotes seemed new to me, but from what other posters have said, he needs to update em. Maybe he should have a chat with Billy Bragg for some tips on tween songs banter. Billy talks til the cows come home, but he does usually have new stories every tour :)

2. It was very entertaining, Auntie and I enjoyed it a lot ... apart from the posh girl behind us who wouldn't stop talking loudly (seems a standard fixture in the RR these days.

3. The drummer was very loud

4. I thought the bass player was sweet, but she did look a bit like Pob.

5. He broke his keyboard

6. What's with the keys round all their necks?

7. He is indeed going a bit Julius Caesar up top ... still its hardly his fault.

8. JayMay, the support was also a bit of an ear opener I thought, though I hope she has some songs about something other than breaking up with her boyfriend ... great voice mind.

9. The beer was disgusting as usual ... do they EVER clean those pipes?
the beer at that place is and always has been a fucking disgrace. gravy has a more beer like taste and texture than that shit.

did he play some stuff at the merch table then? i though he was going to play outside for some reason so i missed him.

also i could see the celloists gusset.
grumpytimes wrote:'Give Me Just A Little More Time' by The Chairman of the Board by any chance?
that's the one. did they also put their instruments down and starting running around the stage grinning? that was quite endearing.
When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called 'the People's Stick.'

Uncle Ants

Post by Uncle Ants » Thu May 15, 2008 11:07

JamieC wrote:the beer at that place is and always has been a fucking disgrace. gravy has a more beer like taste and texture than that shit.
True. What I find hard to understand is how exactly they can make it taste so bad. I mean what exactly do they DO to it (PS. thinking about it their beer has a more gravy like texture and taste than beer, so you may be on to something - they clean the pipes with Bisto)
JamieC wrote:did he play some stuff at the merch table then? i though he was going to play outside for some reason so i missed him.
He said he was (he asked people not to post stuff to youtube), but I don't know tbh. Auntie bought a record and we left cos its a school night.
JamieC wrote:also i could see the celloists gusset.
You must have been standing in just the right place ... I could see the "Laptop player"'s socks. If I could see what you could see it would have made for a 10 point mini review rather than a 9 point one.
In Recordeo Speramus