The Lucksmiths

popbands, poplabels, poprecords

Moderator: shaved head thrills

Pop Kid
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/boyinky

Re: The Lucksmiths

Post by Pop Kid » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:35

The Scala show was pretty amazing. We needed more dancing in the crowd though.

I was a bit suprised by the set. I think I expected more of the older stuff and not so much off the new album - that's not a complaint. It was really great to hear The Art of Cooking For Two.

Daniel Kitson was visibly shitting himself for the first 10 mintues of his slot. He was so funny though, it worked really well.

On the train to Glasgow now.

Linz

Post by Linz » Thu Jul 09, 2009 13:18

I agree it was a great gig, and yes there could have been a bit more dancing - thought the audiance were very quiet. Although me and my mate were both dancing!

Highlights for me were Sunlight in a Jar and Chapter in your life - made my night to hear those two!

Daniel Kitson was very funny as well! it was a good combination music and comedy.

islandhopper
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/mi-fhein

Post by islandhopper » Thu Jul 09, 2009 13:21

Pop Kid wrote: I was a bit suprised by the set. I think I expected more of the older stuff and not so much off the new album
*Quickly downloads "the new album*

ezears
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/ezears/

Post by ezears » Thu Jul 09, 2009 18:50

Oh! I didn't realize they were calling it a day. They're another band in a long list of 'groups to further check out'. Everything about them, their references and sound, should have made me a fan long ago. Colin previously posted something about arriving late to the party, but having plenty of time now to discover all their music, well me too!

But what I really wanted to ask was did anyone who went to the recent shows have anything to add about Gary Olsen's performance? I'm a huge Ladybug Transistor fan.

owen

Post by owen » Thu Jul 09, 2009 19:20

Mr. Olson was on trumpet duty for Music From Next Door and Stayaway Stars at the Scala, which both sounded great (particularly the former).. A complete hero of mine also, but definitely still waiting for his third 'classic' that is up there with Argyle Heir and The Albermarle Sound..

Just to add more generally to thoughts about the Scala last night -- yes, an amazing night, and highlights for me were Art of Cooking for Two (the second Luckies song I ever heard... what feels like way-back now) and T-Shirt Weather, which almost TOOK OFF it was such a huge moment. :)

boney
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/boneyboy

Post by boney » Thu Jul 09, 2009 20:01

Pop Kid wrote:The Scala show was pretty amazing. We needed more dancing in the crowd though..
There was plenty of dancing at the Luminaire! *blush*

mkgleeds
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/mkgleeds

Post by mkgleeds » Thu Jul 09, 2009 20:13

ezears wrote:
But what I really wanted to ask was did anyone who went to the recent shows have anything to add about Gary Olsen's performance? I'm a huge Ladybug Transistor fan.
Don't know much about Ladybug Transistor so can't quote the songs but enjoyed the set at Luminaire with Lucksmiths as backing band, though there was obviously an element of still working it out as they were going along at times.

Marshall
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/seajohnsters
Location: somewhere between Emma's House & The House That Man Built

Post by Marshall » Thu Jul 09, 2009 21:59

well I was dancing at both, but then those who know me expect nothing less! how can you not dance to the more upbeat lucksmiths tunes?

String Bean Jen
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/string_bean_jen/

Post by String Bean Jen » Thu Jul 09, 2009 23:08

ezears wrote: But what I really wanted to ask was did anyone who went to the recent shows have anything to add about Gary Olsen's performance? I'm a huge Ladybug Transistor fan.
I wish he would have come out and played trumpet for more than two songs last night! Or maybe even added some sexy baritone harmonies. I realized last night that I've still totally got a massive crush on him. God, he's gorgeous.
Attachments
Gary - resized.jpg
Gary! Mmm!
There's more than one use for every part

tekno_alice

Post by tekno_alice » Thu Jul 09, 2009 23:29

String Bean Jen wrote:
ezears wrote: But what I really wanted to ask was did anyone who went to the recent shows have anything to add about Gary Olsen's performance? I'm a huge Ladybug Transistor fan.
I wish he would have come out and played trumpet for more than two songs last night! Or maybe even added some sexy baritone harmonies. I realized last night that I've still totally got a massive crush on him. God, he's gorgeous.
He played an awesome but far too short set, mainly tracks of the ladybug transistor and can't wait another day, bit shambolic but lovely.
Gary should be over in the autumn with Still Flyin' so we just need to pester him to play more solo shows whilst he's over here!
Giant Isopod wrote:
Pop Kid wrote:The Scala show was pretty amazing. We needed more dancing in the crowd though..
There was plenty of dancing at the Luminaire! *blush*
Hee, I haven't danced like that for ages

gofelt
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/bachelorkisses

Post by gofelt » Fri Jul 10, 2009 13:23

Oh, that was one of the best gigs I've ever been to!! Very few bands can make me so happy...I was smiling and grinning like a fool, in a state of euphoria! The set list exceeded my expectations - still can't believe they played Synchronised Sinking and Art of Cooking for Two.

Oh, meeting Tali was the best thing ever - those 15 minutes of me, Sandy and Matloob chatting with Tali meant the world to me. He is definitely one of the funniest, loveliest and most charming chaps you’ll ever meet. He made some hilarious jokes about his comfy shoes, their songs and the weather in Melbourne - a few people fell in love with him that night. I was one of them…

There was a lot of dancing, at least where we were and John Marshall was right at the front dancing and headbanging. Amazing atmosphere!

The sad thing is (to quote my other favourite Australian band, the cat's miaow) we are never going to see them play a gig again..

I will never forget when after the gig the legendary Pam Berry gave Marty a big hug – that picture will stay with me for ever.

The Lucksmiths for EVER and EVER
I slice the surface here beside you/Lungs filled liquid yell I love you/Sound moves further underwater
Deep and dark my submarine bells groan in greens and grey/Mine would chime a thousand times/To make you feel okay..

Linz

Post by Linz » Fri Jul 10, 2009 13:29

This whole post is making me sadder and sadder - Im going to miss them so much.

Quite a lot of stuff up on Youtube from the two London gigs - if anyone wants to have a look!!!

jamieboy

Post by jamieboy » Fri Jul 10, 2009 21:14

tonight i'm not going out to see the lucksmiths play, which feels a little bit odd. over three days i got to see them twice in london, and on the last play on the same bill as them in my hometown. not only that, but i was lucky enough to get to speak to the lucksmiths (under the guise of "musician" rather than fanboy). they were even kind enough to dedicate 'sunlight in a jar' last night to a special friend of mine, which might actually have changed my life in a very special way.

it's a beautiful, cool evening in glasgow, so i'm going outside with a beer and a copy of 'first frost'.

Martijn
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/thinksmall

Post by Martijn » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:37

Hello fellow Lucksmiths fans. Does anyone know what time the doors open for the Berlin gig tonight? Internet suggests it starts at 9 - but that's a bit late for the doors to open isn't it? Or perhaps I'm just too used to English gigs. Thanks!

miss_steff
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/miss_steff

Post by miss_steff » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:22

jamieboy wrote:tonight i'm not going out to see the lucksmiths play, which feels a little bit odd. over three days i got to see them twice in london, and on the last play on the same bill as them in my hometown. not only that, but i was lucky enough to get to speak to the lucksmiths (under the guise of "musician" rather than fanboy). they were even kind enough to dedicate 'sunlight in a jar' last night to a special friend of mine, which might actually have changed my life in a very special way.

it's a beautiful, cool evening in glasgow, so i'm going outside with a beer and a copy of 'first frost'.
what he said, minus me getting involved with a wonderful girl.

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:58

[Edit]woops. wrong thread.
Last edited by roundbitsofplastic on Mon Jul 13, 2009 13:32, edited 1 time in total.
I am struck speechless by the nape of your neck.

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

Linz

Post by Linz » Mon Jul 13, 2009 13:25

Ive listened to so much Lucksmiths that my husband is going to divorce me if I play "Chapter in your life..." one more time (its tempting!), so Ive made a real big decision to listen to something different so now I am ..........Im listening to..............The Guild League instead!!!

Marshall
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/seajohnsters
Location: somewhere between Emma's House & The House That Man Built

Post by Marshall » Mon Jul 13, 2009 14:50

DimitraDaisy
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/zoziepop/

Post by DimitraDaisy » Wed Jul 15, 2009 15:43

Here's the setlist from Berlin:

Hiccup
Good light
Downside
SF
Pines
Take this
Bones
Undersea
Guess how much
Town + hills
Self-pres
Even Stevens
Stayaway
Successlessness
Sobering
Art of cooking
How we met
Great lengths
Sunlight
T-shirt
Midweek

They also did two encores, 'The music next door' and 'The year of driving languorously'. They played for well over an hour and a half. They looked exhausted at the end!

They were the best thing ever, of course. It is hard to believe how good they are live, how many great songs they have, and how much I love them, and how many years I have been loving them for.

I loved every bit of it, but particularly 'Take this lying down,' 'Self-preservation' (it is sort of my favourite), anything with Gary Olson in it (I am in love), and 'Midweek midmorning'. And 'The music next door,' actually.

I might be back with something more coherent to say, later. Or perhaps Martijn will chime in?
Last edited by DimitraDaisy on Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:00, edited 1 time in total.
You beside and bluer skies above me

owen

Post by owen » Thu Jul 16, 2009 16:13

So, which one Luckies song will YOU be playing as the first shovel-load of dirt hits the top of the coffin containing the still warm corpse of our dearly beloved indiepop outfit? For me, it's a toss-up between The Golden Age of Aviation (heard with serendipitous good furtune back in 2000 and instantly adored), Take This Lying Down (which I initially, shamefully, dismissed as filler before unearthing its warm, glowing core with unbridled glee) and T-Shirt Weather (forever the greatest pop song, bar none).. Today, it feels like Lying Down takes it, but perhaps only because the sun isn't shining?