Indietracks 2014 Photos and Memories

29-31 July 2016: "a collective adventure in generalized joy and freely interdependent exuberance"
linus

Re: Indietracks 2014 Photos and Memories

Post by linus » Tue Jul 29, 2014 19:25

hayleygerms wrote:Also I touched some excellent owls, namely the snowy owl who was lovely and soft.
That was Murray

tompony
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/lardpony

Post by tompony » Tue Jul 29, 2014 20:32

I like to think I also touched Murray.

Also I can't claim to have booked Big Joanie but I did show them the way along the path to the festival on Sunday.

I'm jealous of all the people saying "best festival ever" as it just didn't really ever click for me this year but after seven years at the festival (I missed 2009 for REASONS) it still probably made my all-time top ten so I can't complain.

stereolabrador
Last.fm: https://thehiddenhorses.bandcamp.com/

Post by stereolabrador » Tue Jul 29, 2014 20:34

We had a great time. Looking after children meant spending more time in the beach sandpit and playground than seeing actual shows, but I did manage to catch the Swapsies (brilliant, swoonsome) and a bit of Watoo Watoo (charming). We went to bed early in the campsite but still managed to hear the distant sound of the Gruff Rhys and Hidden Cameras sets drifting over Golden Valley, which was an unexpected bonus. And our show (Hidden Horses) was fun - still surprised at the number of people who turned up, including an old friend who we had no idea we'd see - it was special!
Big, big thanks to all involved in making it happen, as always.

quimby

Post by quimby » Tue Jul 29, 2014 20:54

Fave new bands: Totem Terrors, Elopes

Most enthusiastic bouncing: The Flatmates
https://www.flickr.com/photos/orqwith/14592521440/

Daftest eyewear: Mr Botting
https://www.flickr.com/photos/orqwith/14775113351/

My photos are here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/orqwith/s ... 5998895734

Many other splendid bands, but I've worn myself out doing a functioning day at work to go into detail. Might need to book Tuesday off work as well next year.

freson
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by freson » Tue Jul 29, 2014 21:08

Great fun as usual and, in general, really well organised. I remember more of it than usual through consuming virtually no alcoholic beverages.

Best acts for me were:-
  • Sweet Baboo (knew nothing about him beforehand but I loved the quirkiness of his songs)
    The Yearning (lack of gigging means they lack the polish their songs need, but what great songs plus a Nolans cover!)
    The Swapsies (best band from Liverpool since Gerry and The Pacemakers)
    The Wendy Darlings (made full use of the space on the stage and sounded better than ever)
    The Popguns (a good example of a band that's reformed but hasn't resorted to cabaret.)
    Skeletal Shakes(I always enjoyed Danny's vocal contributions in Standard Fare, now he has his opportunity in the limelight. They need a bass player, though...)
There were one or two clashes that ought to have been avoided, particularly The Spook School/Joanna Gruesome.

Losing two bands on the main stage on Sunday was unfortunate. With the weather being lovely and a lot of people just sitting on the bank all day I think there should have been some rescheduling to fill the gaps.

While the food on offer was great I'd like to see a bit more variety such as a stall selling pies and pasties and a decent coffee.

After six Indietracks I've still not gone beyond the perimeter fence. I think I'll have to take a trip up later in the year to look around the train sheds.

My only real gripe was the train service on the Friday night. How could they use a Class 141?

After the rumours last year that 2013 was likely to be the last Indietracks, I hope that future festivals aren't in doubt as, for me, it is the music highlight of the year.

Doc & Miss

Post by Doc & Miss » Tue Jul 29, 2014 21:10

It is our turn to thank all those wonderful people who make Indietracks fun for ALL. This year even more folk expressed their thanks for the effort putting on the event WHICH THE RAILWAY CANNOT DO WITH TEAM INDIE! It is by far the biggest single event we do in the year, which is probably a good thing as it takes us days to recover as well, even though we were open to the public at 11.00 on Monday, beach included.

This year the Museum Tours were new and our personal thanks for the positive feedback. It will be back next year, with some new "stories", though I am not sure I can do the Victorian Costume in that heat again. It does make you want to break into song with "Putting on my top hat, Tying up ..... etc" One day maybe.

Just some behind the scenes comments:
Drugs Dogs are a condition of the event going on - no comment on those that they missed.
We put as many big fans in the church as we can and I hope it was better this year despite the glorious weather (on order again for next year).
The pizza guys were a late addition this year. They enjoyed the whole thing and just underestimated how busy they would be. They hope to be back next year but twice the size.
The "Bin Thing" on the grass in front of the stage will not be there next year.
Dust, dust, dust - it all depends on how we get on with our application to the HLF for funds. We can get some surfacing down if our bid comes off.
Definitely the best Bar ever. We got the volume just about right and you beat your Real Ale consumption by a long way this year, not to mention water, with over 2000 bottles consumed over the weekend by you and the staff.
The "Blue Train" is called Oswald. Yes he is looking a bit sad but plans are in hand to give him a new home on site and a bit of a spruce up.

We had by far the most conversations with you lovely people this year and cannot thank you enough for your support as it really, really does make all the difference to the railway.

No time for any pictures this year, which is sad given the conditions.

Most surreal moment was taking a break in the workshop (next to the indoor stage) and eating away listening to Dean Wareham - maybe there is hope for an old Prog Rocker yet!

In our monthly news letter (Workers' World edited by Miss) we always have a " .... and finally". This is our Indietracks .... and finally:

We too are glad that the Lost Child incident turned out well - about half the team were out looking for him and a Big thanks the Gruff Rhys for breaking into his set to make the announcement. What you don't know is that we were concerned about another missing i8ndividual - from the Thursday Tom the Butterley Station Yard cat had gone missing. He was still absent on Monday and concern was building until the afternoon when he was discovered locked in one of the coaches at Butterley where he had spent a very hot weekend. Typical Tom Cat to just walk out as though nothing had happened!

Thanks again guys - love you all.

crystalball
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/felters

Post by crystalball » Tue Jul 29, 2014 21:14

Been completely stuck in the Withered Hand/Hidden Cameras vortex (an emotional Wall of Death), so I held back coming on Anorak because I couldn't face any more feelings. But, as ever, this is the greatest. Still crazy achey, so I'll keep reading and re-reading. Thankyouthankyou. xx

Doc & Miss

Post by Doc & Miss » Tue Jul 29, 2014 21:15

Sorry for Fridays "Nodding Donkey" train service, or the class 141.
Missed that one from Behind the Scenes"
Our Green DMU decided not to come out ad play - in fact it decided to try and go in two directions at once so out came the backup!

tompony
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/lardpony

Post by tompony » Tue Jul 29, 2014 21:19

Doc & Miss - you guys looked wonderful in costume! And I wondered where my namesake cat was - glad to hear he's turned up :)

The lost child incident was such a wonderful moment, Gruff handled it marvelously: "another successful mission!" I hope Jude didn't get told off too harshly.

PontiacB

Post by PontiacB » Tue Jul 29, 2014 21:25

Doc & Miss wrote: The "Blue Train" is called Oswald. Yes he is looking a bit sad but plans are in hand to give him a new home on site and a bit of a spruce up.
Cheers for the info, glad he's not destined for the scrap heap! I've got a badge with his picture on so should have known his name. Thanks once again for all your work.

Trev
Last.fm: lostmusic

Post by Trev » Tue Jul 29, 2014 21:30

HEAT AND PANIC!
Attachments
HEATandPANIC.jpg
not really here

crystalball
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/felters

Post by crystalball » Tue Jul 29, 2014 21:32

freson wrote:There were one or two clashes that ought to have been avoided, particularly The Spook School/Joanna Gruesome.
The thing with clashes is, bands often can only play on specific days at specific times, so, much as we try to have a schedule that would look reasonably logical (wait, what?), it's not always possible.
freson wrote:Losing two bands on the main stage on Sunday was unfortunate. With the weather being lovely and a lot of people just sitting on the bank all day I think there should have been some rescheduling to fill the gaps.
The Let's Wrestle gap we didn't fill because people had been complaining about clashes. :) The Ravioli Me Away gap we couldn't fill because we didn't know it was going to happen until it was time for the band to go on stage and it was too late to organise anything by then.

I'm sorry. We are learning though.

I loved the Class 141! <3 <3

Icebat

Post by Icebat » Tue Jul 29, 2014 21:59

We put as many big fans in the church as we can and I hope it was better this year despite the glorious weather (on order again for next year).
I somehow didn't notice them, but I did notice that it was surprisingly cool in there. Well maybe not cool exactly, but a lot better than I expected, and sort of refreshing after being outside in full sun. So it must've helped a fair bit.

(Also, I'm amazed the place is back open so soon after Indietracks finishes. That's one of those things that hits home how hard everyone has to work to make the whole event happen... )

jayen_aitch
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/jayen_aitch/

Post by jayen_aitch » Tue Jul 29, 2014 22:11

Very glad Tom the cat is well.

Rocker
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Rockerq

Post by Rocker » Tue Jul 29, 2014 22:33

Yes the church was much more bearable this year - that explains why the Manhattan Love Suicides (and audience) did not entirely melt into a ball of sweaty feedback squalls - set of the weekend for me - 22 minutes dead.
Cheers!

Rocker

Listen to my show at http://www.dandelionradio.com - the internet radio station inspired by John Peel.

leon
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/lc86

Post by leon » Wed Jul 30, 2014 00:02

It was another belter wasn't it. My main highlights were just hanging out with all you lovely people, you know who you are, and getting to stroke a hawk. It will now be my go to euphemism - "just nipping upstairs to stroke the hawk, love".

The Adult Poncho remained holstered this year, and I've got a belting tan, well on my face and arms anyway. I especially loved No Ditching, Thee Ahs, Night Flowers, MJ Hibbett, Joanna Gruesome and The Just Joans who I watched/listened to sitting down to ease my aching leg. I've never been a Super Furrys/Gruff Rhys fan but his set ended up being a perfect end to Saturday night, listening to his surreally delivered rambles sat with friends on such a balmy summer night. The swift resolution of the missing Jude situation only made it better. Me and Adam Hobbes loved the shed and campsite discos, and I discovered he knows EVERY WORD of Where's Me Jumper by Sultans of Ping FC. Happy memories of bouncing up and down to that with Shaun Brilldream. Finishing off the weekend sat in the buffet car with Murray, Dave, Ray, Clare, Ian and others I don't know by name was just perfect too.

Playing the shed stage with Hobbes was a brilliant experience despite nearly throwing up through nerves beforehand. Thank you to all of you who came and watched and said lovely things and bought a CD. I was sad to have to slope off without any goodbyes but I was laden down with two guitars and a load of gear which I had to clear out of the gear container, and a puffy ankle (!) which required me to get myself back to the campsite and to bed.

Back to work tomorrow. I'm really not ready.
"and Valley Parade is showing all its finery"

ShaunBrilldream

Post by ShaunBrilldream » Wed Jul 30, 2014 00:37

leon wrote: . Me and Adam Hobbes loved the shed and campsite discos, and I discovered he knows EVERY WORD of Where's Me Jumper by Sultans of Ping FC. Happy memories of bouncing up and down to that with Shaun Brilldream.
My only regret was not seeing you in the disco tent sunday to tell you how perfect your set was. It was fucking stunning.

leon wrote:Back to work tomorrow. I'm really not ready.
Aye, me too. *sad sigH*
And we just can't wait to make more mistakes and to fluff our breaks, and to stuff our faces with cake.

The FinchleyTed fanclub.

RITH
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/RITH

Post by RITH » Wed Jul 30, 2014 07:40

I think Shaun posted this on Facebook. It's Indietracks.

Cloudy Cat

Post by Cloudy Cat » Wed Jul 30, 2014 07:50

The Chills, the Chills, the Chills, the Chills.

Loved them since I bought some obscure NZ comp back in the distant 80's and I heard Pink Frost. I'd never seen them live and they were brilliant. Hearing the ghostly susurration of Night Of Chill Blue echoing around the site gave me a whoosh of joy. Wet Blanket, House With A Hundred Rooms, Pink Frost, Heavenly Pop Hit and of course one of the greatest songs about domestic abuse ever The Male Monster From The Id. In fact I yelled out to the band that that was one of the greatest songs ever written and Martin Phillipps dared to question whether I'd bought it at the time. Course I had.

I was amazed at the amount of people not fully cognizant of their contribution to music. Where have you been the last thirty years?

Oh and who won the pop quiz? We scored 70 pts, thanks to my wife knowing the name of every member of S Club 7.

Michael Quentin

Post by Michael Quentin » Wed Jul 30, 2014 08:55

We all had a great time, despite bringing the wrong key for the roof box (turns out I can still sleep anywhere) and getting a flat tyre on the second day. Also spent nearly all the money I brought along for the merch tent on stuff that wasn't from the merch tent (One Dorotea EP apart). Rest of the family got Salle Pierre Lamy t-shirts (bargain!), kids both got new Indietracks t-shirts, and I got a straw hat in Ripley which turned out to be the best £3 I ever spent.

Saturday the kids ended up two behind the final pizza for sale, Sunday one ahead. There may have been a teenage riot otherwise. Glad to hear they will be 'scaling up' next year. Made up for the 'Vegetarian fish, chips and mushy peas' which had been the subject of weeks of feverish anticipation.

Music.

The first evening was remarkably relaxed if only because everything was focused on the outdoor stage. No dashing hither and thither. We'd been playing "Indietracks, Not Indietracks" in the service station on the way over and it turned out that the fella in the WFMU t-shirt we'd decided was Indietracks was Martin Phillipps of The Chills. So, that was nice. As with many of the older bands this year and last year it had been a long, long time since I'd seen The Chills and they were a welcome blast from the past. A confession. Apart from Tallulah, which had somehow managed to worm its way into my consciousness, I'd never knowingly heard a second of Allo Darlin' before Friday night. My mistake. They were lovely.

Saturday was largely spent in the Locoshed and included a run that went from Wolf Girl to Dorotea through MJ Hibbert &The Validators (although I missed ONSIND (recommended by workmate Caroline of The Cake Liberation Front) due to a detour into the marquee to have our family portrait drawn by Pierre Salle Lamy (recommended by workmate Helen Makes)). All very enjoyable but I'd have to single out Dorotea. Mind-blowingly good. Short, loud, melodic and shorter. Missed The Blue Minkies and Jo Gru as went outside to see The Yawns and The Spook School. The former because I'd done a short piece on them for the Indietracks blog this year and felt a pull of loyalty. The latter because, well, it's their year. Yawns frontman Sean spent much of their set out in the crowd, in the sandstorm-swept hinterlands. He didn't get a kick of the ball, though. The Spook School were witty, catchy, sweet. A band that's easy to fall in love with. But you all knew that anyway. The reaction from the crowd was fantastic. They could easily have traded places with The Popguns and nobody would have blinked an eye. I can take or leave Gruff Rhys. He was funny and entertaining, but I could not tell you what his music sounded like. I went to get the kids from the beach (where they spent an inordinate amount of time over the weekend) and found what I presume was the Singalong going on. I quietly sang along to Blitzkrieg Bop, wiped the grit from my eye, and mentally ticked another 'Indietracks must-do'.

Indoors again on Sunday. And once again in the Locoshed. I'd suggested that we leave following Cosines, as they were the last 'must see' band for me. So, we treated them as headliners and, as mentioned above, they didn't disappoint, despite the bass player battling technical problems. Their LP should be waiting for me in work tomorrow. Can't wait. Earlier, The Swapsies delivered an assured set which stayed just the right side of Scouse Skiffle. No Ditching managed to sound both nervous and pissed off. They're an interesting prospect. The Wendy Darlings were, if there were such a thing, an identi-kit Indietracks band, but in a nice way. They distill many of the wider elements into a big, poppy brew.

So, thanks to everybody who helped to make it happen. Next year I am going to try to speak to more people, and I'm going to make sure I have the internet in some form or another, having lost track of Twitter news of the Saturday morning kick-around only to find it happening in front of me while waiting to get the flat tyre sorted. And, yes, Niall McCamley's goal was as good as he said it was.