Premier Inn vs Travelodge

29-31 July 2016: "a collective adventure in generalized joy and freely interdependent exuberance"
stolenwine
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/stolenwine/

Re: Premier Inn vs Travelodge

Post by stolenwine » Wed Jul 24, 2013 23:30

fuck. i knew i should've gone with premier inn this year! oh well. hopefully it'll all be fine. premier inn again next time!
tell me how good it is / to wake from a bad dream / and have someone there and I will tell you / how butterfly wings stay dry in the rain
--
stolen wine social

matt_crisp
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by matt_crisp » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:05

annoyingly it's two rooms we've got booked, so it probably increases the chances of not getting in, I just hope that wherever they send us has enough room for all of us, and that they cover the taxis to and from. the whole point of booking a room in a certain place is because that's where you want to stay, surely. I stopped at Mansfied before, it took forever to get there and cost a fortune in a taxi. and as it was that side of indietracks it took ages getting a taxi, as opposed to Butterly. Bloomin Travelodge. I was really looking forward to this Indietracks, now just as my excitement was starting to peak they've put this partridge amongst the pigeons and I'm just anxious / annoyed.

sorry if I've worried anyone other lodgers, i imagine if you haven't had a phone call you're probably safe and not on the list of people they're planning on annoying. At my age, with my (for all they know) heart condition i shouldn't have to go through this.

i do ramble on don't i?

Murray

Post by Murray » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:14

I've just cancelled my Premier Inn booking for three nights - get in quick if you're still not sorted for a room.

matt_crisp

Post by matt_crisp » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:20

Murray wrote:I've just cancelled my Premier Inn booking for three nights - get in quick if you're still not sorted for a room.
that's the thing, i don't know if i am, they left me hanging, and it'd be two rooms we need sadly. thanks for letting me know though.

Andy...

Post by Andy... » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:53

I've been looking around for information on this. The Travelodge policy on overbooking is here, basically they have a contract with you and should find you suitable alternative accommodation in the area:
http://www.travelodge.co.uk/help/index. ... ry=10#q114

If they haven't already offered you any alternative accommodation, you could insist on the Ripley Premier Inn, which has rooms available. You could justifiably argue that Mansfield Travelodge is not a suitable alternative.

There's an article here about the wider practice of "proactive outbooking" (ie telling people in advance that they can't have the rooms they've booked) - it suggests if you argue strongly you'll get better compensation: http://chocolatepillow.com/overbooking- ... handle-it/.

Murray

Post by Murray » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:27

I spoke with Travelodge this morning just to check that my booking was OK, and apparently it's fine because I have all 3 days booked . It's the Saturday which is 'oversubscribed', so it appears that only people with just Saturday, and possibly just Sat and Sun are being dicked about. Totally sucks and you must complain vociferously and persistently, Matt.
Good luck with getting it all sorted.

Trev
Last.fm: lostmusic

Post by Trev » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:21

The Travel Lodge sound like a right bunch of sharks.

Happy to pay for the Premier Inn (And because I was late booking last year it's only £40 extra for the weekend - compared to what I paid last year).
not really here

matt_crisp

Post by matt_crisp » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:30

Thanks everyone, something will get sorted, I hope. I couldn't go on the Friday (due to a combination of work babysitter situation)we're Saturday and sunday so all we can do is turn up earler than check in time on Saturday and see what they say, then complain regardless. as long as we've got SOMEWHERE to sleep (and its not costing me extra to get there) we're alright, it just came as a bit of a shock and an annoyance while I was making a pot of tea last night. it'll all be alright, I must think positive. whatever ends up happening it could be a hell of a lot worse.

must try to get excited again, it's Indietracks, this weekend, yay! it'll be ace... it's Indietracks!

sweepingthenation
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/sweepingnation

Post by sweepingthenation » Thu Jul 25, 2013 13:02

Always seems strange that Travelodge books up so early for the weekend and yet in my experience about a third of the breakfast room is taken up by non-attendees. It's not the most obvious area to go on a couple's weekend break.

Icebat

Post by Icebat » Wed Jul 31, 2013 18:20

I was a victim of this too! I was warned in advance on the phone, but that just made me worry about it for the few days before the festival. When we arrived at midday on Saturday, we were promptly informed that we'd be staying at the Mansfield Travelodge instead, and said she'd order a taxi for us (although it was about half an hour before she had chance to - it was a bit chaotic, and she seemed to be on her own). I made sure to clarify that they'd be paying all our taxi fares for the weekend, and she agreed to that.

I thought we were going to have to keep receipts and claim it afterwards, which would've been annoying. But they seemed to have come to an agreement with a taxi firm (actually, I think it was just one guy rather than a fleet...) that he'd just pick us up whenever we wanted and then sort it out directly with Travelodge afterwards. So it actually turned out quite nicely - we saved a bit of money, in fact (since we would probably have got Taxis back to Alfreton on the nights anyway), and also avoided the slight mayhem waiting for an Amber car in the rain at the station. :p

The lady at reception did say they'd be in touch in a few days to offer a refund or something as well, although that hasn't happened yet. I could probably complain and get some free stays or something, but I don't feel too hard done by in the end. On the other hand, the journey to and from Mansfield meant we missed the first 90 minutes on Saturday, so maybe I should do...

Anyway, that's my story. Apparently they make £12m a year from their overbooking policy, but they definitely lost money on my booking - the room was £65, I think, and my taxis came to well over £100. I imagine it was the same for most people who were outbooked that weekend.

I don't think I'll be booking there next year. Even though it ended up ok, the anxiety beforehand wasn't great, and there's no guarantee that the taxi stuff would be as simple next time. I imagine they'll try and avoid overbooking by so much next time, but still... not worth the risk. And just the principle is annoying; I booked in September, for god's sake, and everyone pays in advance anyway! So yes, Premier Inn for me.

(That was a bit of an odd first post on a forum... I guess I should post happier stuff in the memories thread.)

Kate
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/duchess80

Post by Kate » Fri Aug 02, 2013 08:25

Has everyone already booked the Premier Inn for next year when we don't even know the dates? Saw someone mention this on Twitter yesterday, checked the site & both Ripley & Mansfield are full for the weekend of the 25th July 2014!!! Hoping this is just a glitch as not even I'm that organised!

linus

Post by linus » Fri Aug 02, 2013 09:00

Caroline at the Premier Inn said we could book in a month's time (from the Indietracks weekend), we said we might block book the whole hotel... we haven't, I think it's just how their system works... try in a few weeks

linus

Post by linus » Fri Aug 02, 2013 09:03

that said you can book london hotels for the same weekend (presuming it's the last weekend in july) next year

maybe it's just because they're bigger... and it's that london?

Trev
Last.fm: lostmusic

Post by Trev » Fri Aug 02, 2013 09:05

I spoke to PI this morning. Because of an event the rooms in Ripley and Mansfield are currently restricted for that weekend. Was given the advice of keep checking their website as when the lady I spoke to got hold of the Ripley hotel they didn't know when the rooms would be released.

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Fri Aug 02, 2013 09:11

For those still loyal to the Travelodge, the rooms there become available on September 3.

bulgariandisco

Post by bulgariandisco » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:04

a fog of ideas wrote:Caroline at the Premier Inn said we could book in a month's time (from the Indietracks weekend), we said we might block book the whole hotel... we haven't, I think it's just how their system works... try in a few weeks
I tried booking on Tuesday (well, it passes the time...) and just assumed you'd all snuck in ahead of me.

They probably need time to run the algorithm that tells them exactly how much they can get away hiking up the prices!

linus

Post by linus » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:19

Trev wrote:Because of an event the rooms in Ripley and Mansfield are currently restricted for that weekend.
The event being Indietracks or...?

Silver Girl

Post by Silver Girl » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:34

Trev wrote:I spoke to PI this morning. Because of an event the rooms in Ripley and Mansfield are currently restricted for that weekend. Was given the advice of keep checking their website as when the lady I spoke to got hold of the Ripley hotel they didn't know when the rooms would be released.
I had a look on Monday - looked like the sat/sun just weren't available yet, judging from the fact that nothing nearby was available either? But I was suspicious that Friday was booked out and didn't seem to be anywhere else. hmmm....
"I don't know who you're talking about..."

Andy...

Post by Andy... » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:39

a fog of ideas wrote:
Trev wrote:Because of an event the rooms in Ripley and Mansfield are currently restricted for that weekend.
The event being Indietracks or...?
The Pentrich Rock and Blues Old-School Weekender has been announced for the last weekend in July 2014, and is very close to Ripley. So it could be that.

linus

Post by linus » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:47

You'll not be able to compete with that... move Indietracks?