Your Indietracks 2013 wishlist

29-31 July 2016: "a collective adventure in generalized joy and freely interdependent exuberance"
RITH
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/RITH

Re: Your Indietracks 2013 wishlist

Post by RITH » Fri Oct 12, 2012 13:21

iainmayfield wrote:That is such a lame list.....anyone going to suggest any really good bands to play?
How about you, mr Mayfield? Your only vote so far has been ms Jepson. I'd love to see what you'd love to see instead of just making a negative remark.

linus

Post by linus » Fri Oct 12, 2012 13:43

iainmayfield wrote:That is such a lame list.....anyone going to suggest any really good bands to play?
The purpose of the thread is for you to suggest really good bands to play

Don't be such a passive aggressive wuss, participate!

iainmayfield

Post by iainmayfield » Fri Oct 12, 2012 13:45

Well look at the list... with the exception of allo darlin and a handful of others there's not a lot there to excite people or encourage people to want to go to Indietracks is there? I know the organisers do a fine job and the benefits to the Railway are fantastic, but if people are going to Indietracks there have to be bands worth seeing.

Oh, and Carly Rae was a joke (of course) - although I'm sure she must be very talented..

boney
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/boneyboy

Post by boney » Fri Oct 12, 2012 13:50

There's loads there that excites me, loads I've never seen before as well. Maybe I'm just easily pleased.

RITH
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/RITH

Post by RITH » Fri Oct 12, 2012 13:51

That list is based on the preferences of 51 different voters so far. A lot of them know the 'rules' and haven't voted for bands that played this year (like Allo Darlin'). I think it's a good list; I'd surely go.

You (mr Mayfield) still haven't told us who you'd like to see instead though.

iainmayfield

Post by iainmayfield » Fri Oct 12, 2012 13:51

a fog of ideas wrote:Don't be such a passive aggressive wuss, participate!
Thing is , I would - but my posts either cause outrage and argument - or they're the kiss of death and the post dies..

My contributions then would be : Pale Seas - for up and coming talent

and for established bands that have the ability to reform and play : Close Lobsters or the Popguns.

There.

iainmayfield

Post by iainmayfield » Fri Oct 12, 2012 13:53

I'm not averse to SPOOK SCHOOL either by the way - so they have my vote too.

boney

Post by boney » Fri Oct 12, 2012 13:53

I'd see Carly Rae Jepson, the album is pretty decent.

Can we flout the rules and have The Spook School again, I missed them due to post-quiz hangover-dealing-with weakness.

boney

Post by boney » Fri Oct 12, 2012 13:54

iainmayfield wrote:
a fog of ideas wrote:Don't be such a passive aggressive wuss, participate!
Thing is , I would - but my posts either cause outrage and argument - or they're the kiss of death and the post dies..

My contributions then would be : Pale Seas - for up and coming talent

and for established bands that have the ability to reform and play : Close Lobsters or the Popguns.

There.
The Popguns (will) have played Brighton twice this year, I'm sure they'd be a good add.

Pod

Post by Pod » Fri Oct 12, 2012 14:20

I AM LATE TO THE PARTY!

Can I still vote? If so, my choices would be:

Vom Vorton
Haiku Salut
Horowitz
Nat Johnson & The Figureheads

Hello, by the way! This is my first post.
=================
I drum in Lardpony.
I do everything in Waar.

Twitter & Instagram: @KristianPod
=================

Trev
Last.fm: lostmusic

Post by Trev » Fri Oct 12, 2012 14:37

iainmayfield wrote:Well look at the list... with the exception of allo darlin and a handful of others there's not a lot there to excite people or encourage people to want to go to Indietracks is there? I know the organisers do a fine job and the benefits to the Railway are fantastic, but if people are going to Indietracks there have to be bands worth seeing.

Oh, and Carly Rae was a joke (of course) - although I'm sure she must be very talented..
I dunno. There's plenty on that list that gets me excited. It's a niche festival in many ways and the pool of likely/possible bands is not massive is it?
not really here

linus

Post by linus » Fri Oct 12, 2012 14:48

iainmayfield wrote:Well look at the list... with the exception of allo darlin and a handful of others there's not a lot there to excite people or encourage people to want to go to Indietracks is there? I know the organisers do a fine job and the benefits to the Railway are fantastic, but if people are going to Indietracks there have to be bands worth seeing.
when you say people do you mean you? you and your chums?

are your chums of significant number that if they don't go indietracks is in trouble? do you believe that indietracks with the numbers that have been in recent years is in decline, perhaps not viable?

when you talk about 'bands worth seeing' I was anticipating some real deal breaker but with all due respect to close lobsters and popguns why are those two bands any more of a draw than the huge number of bands you don't care for in that list 'with the exception of allo darlin and a handful of others'?

this isn't me outraged, I'm interested, genuinely

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Fri Oct 12, 2012 15:03

There's loads in the list that excites me.

To quote
list wrote: Bis 10
Jens Lekman 8
Helen Love 8
Tullycraft 7
Horowitz 7
Martha 7
Cassolette 6
Humousexual 6
Tunabunny 5
Cars Can Be Blue 5
Spook School 5
Fishboy 4
Jonathan Richman 4
Pipas 4
Darren Hanlon 3
Ballboy 3
Betty & The Werewolves 3
Suburban Kids with Biblical Names 3
Bunnygrunt 2
The Great Leap Forward 2
Ray Rumours 2
Tshirt Weather 1
La Casa Azul 1
Still Flyin' 1
Camera Obscura 1
Half Man Half Biscuit 1
Melt Banana 1
Dolly Mixture 1
Hotpants Romance 1
Dorotea 1
No Bunny 1
Good Grief 1
Eels 1
Peach Kelli Pop 1
The Blue Minkies 1
Red Pony Clock 1
Shop Assistants 1
Spraydog 1
And in that list I have removed any bands that I have seen in the past 12 months. So who wants to come up with their own list of 38 bands?

I mean, I could add more, but like I say, if I exclude anyone I have seen in the past 12 months AT ALL, this is what we come up with. And there's definitely some names in there.
I am struck speechless by the nape of your neck.

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

Steven in France
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by Steven in France » Fri Oct 12, 2012 20:44

After attending since 2008 i only want to Indietracks this year on the sunday and now wish that i had gone on the saturday. Sod saving money... For those of us who go to the festival to discover bands, rather than being ITK, the bills always look pretty good further down the line. No pun intended. Who knows what may emerge in the next 6 months?

The crowds have got smaller since 2009, but that does not mean that the festival isn't financially viable. Smaller, non legendary bands cost less money. Having said that I would really, really like to see The Popguns at Indietracks 2013 and i think i could persuade one or two others to come along for them.

It's lovely to see bands you enjoy, but even so so ones make a nice backdrop to a small site, non smelly loos, good veggie outlets, trains etc etc. I have got to the stage where i will be disappointed if the police helicopter doesn't make an appearance early sunday evening. It's a nice ritual that doesn't cost that much by way of comparison to Leeds festival for instance - at close to £200 a ticket for a weekend. A bit like lower league football maybe.

The fact that it is 15 mins away from my mums is a plus as well.

hhbtmike
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by hhbtmike » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:26

if indietracks wants tullycraft i'm almost sure they'd have to spring for airfare. jonathan richman is gonna be airfare & money and you get both jonathan and tommy larkin, however he's not one for festivals. i'd suggest getting robert schneider of apples in stereo over for a marbles and solo set. if he gets into the festival the odds of getting a full band apples in stereo show goes way up. plus he's an overall great guy with a million & one pop songs. i'd like to the see the following if it looks like i could make it over.
- mambo taxi
- skinny girl diet
- cosines
- wolfhounds
- tullycraft
- michachu & the shapes
- good grief
- the fall
- urusei yatsura
- laetitia sadier
- keith john adams
- the tuts

roundbitsofplastic

Post by roundbitsofplastic » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:55

TULLYCRAFT.
I am struck speechless by the nape of your neck.

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

indiansummer
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/heartsturnblue

Post by indiansummer » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:03

well i think mr mayfield is right, and i've updated my wishlist accordingly:

KINGS OF LEON
U2
BEADY EYE
halo my middle, a hula hoop hug

Trev
Last.fm: lostmusic

Post by Trev » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:10

hhbtmike wrote:- wolfhounds
- good grief
- keith john adams
Yes to these three! :-)
not really here

sweepingthenation
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/sweepingnation

Post by sweepingthenation » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:28

hhbtmike wrote:jonathan richman is gonna be airfare & money and you get both jonathan and tommy larkin, however he's not one for festivals.
He is now, he did at least two while in the UK in August.

Murray

Post by Murray » Mon Oct 15, 2012 13:04

a fog of ideas wrote:
when you say people do you mean you? you and your chums?

are your chums of significant number that if they don't go indietracks is in trouble? do you believe that indietracks with the numbers that have been in recent years is in decline, perhaps not viable?

when you talk about 'bands worth seeing' I was anticipating some real deal breaker but with all due respect to close lobsters and popguns why are those two bands any more of a draw than the huge number of bands you don't care for in that list 'with the exception of allo darlin and a handful of others'?

this isn't me outraged, I'm interested, genuinely
But Iain is never happy with the line-up of any event ever!

Indietracks 2010
I can't help feeling a little underwhelmed so far? Nothing much is exciting me yet - perhaps one of the headliners might do it? C'mon - give us something to get our teeth into! Really?

Indietracks 2012
maybe some GOOD bands?

London Popfest 2011
...and no comedy acts like last time - even if they aren't meant to be comedy.. ..let's keep it pop - not plop.

If, and it's a big if, you included some of his very faves you could maybe attract him to attend. He likes old bands that have broken up and reformed to cash in... I mean, have taken a break but are now back better than ever, such as The Popguns, Close Lobsters, 14 Iced Bears etc. Other big faves are B&S and the Wedding Present, and he is very enthusiastic about The Hi-Life Companion.

I demand he has an honorary place on Team Indietracks to save us from all these bands he doesn't want to see and to introduce us to these new, exciting pioneers of pop.