Indietracks 2011 Memories and Photos

29-31 July 2016: "a collective adventure in generalized joy and freely interdependent exuberance"
Trev
Last.fm: lostmusic

Re: Indietracks 2011 Memories and Photos

Post by Trev » Mon Aug 01, 2011 17:33

carney wrote: Sloppy Joe were kind-of enjoyable, but there was something a bit grating about their facsimile sound.
Ha Ha! That reminds me I was sat on the bench with some of The Understudies and at one point we sang 'Heavens knows I'm Miserable Now' along to one of their tunes and it fitted perfectly!
not really here

carney
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/drcarney

Post by carney » Mon Aug 01, 2011 17:36

Trev wrote:
carney wrote: Sloppy Joe were kind-of enjoyable, but there was something a bit grating about their facsimile sound.
Ha Ha! That reminds me I was sat on the bench with some of The Understudies and at one point we sang 'Heavens knows I'm Miserable Now' along to one of their tunes and it fitted perfectly!
We did exactly the same!

80sfan
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/80sfan

Post by 80sfan » Mon Aug 01, 2011 17:39

Well, now that I've recovered from Marquee Lung from Unpop on Friday night I can throw my hat into the hat of thanks for everyone and everything involved this year. It was all absolutely ace, but especially The Hidden Cameras (x2), MaPC, Zipper, Edwyn Collins, Papa Topo, Suburban Kids, Very Truly Yours and other I can't remember right now.

But, Team Indietracks, please don't make it so hot next year. Thanks.
i just wanted to lick your face

mkgleeds
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/mkgleeds

Post by mkgleeds » Mon Aug 01, 2011 17:44

tompony wrote:Image

(more photos here)
When the balloon came over i wasnt sure whether the bloke inside was waving hello or signalling to us to get out of the way as he was coming into land.

Some top bands, Ace Bushy Striptease were fab, Butcher Boy sublime (left me wanting more) and Edwyn Collins was of course great. Jeff Lewis was unsurprisingly brilliant, loved the Mosquito Rap as was Withered Hand.

Also enjoyed Wendy Darlings, Garlands, Milky Wimpshake, Sweet Nothings and Zipper.

Thought Hidden Cameras dealt well with the chaos (as did the organisers). The acoustic bit on the powerless main stage was fun and they seemed amused by the interruptions during their set for announcements about toilets and bars.

Herman Dune seemed to have picked up a dose of Wave Pictures-itis

Cracking time as ever.

MJHibbett

Post by MJHibbett » Mon Aug 01, 2011 19:00

carney wrote:MJ Hibbert in the tent was the perfect setting, he should probably do all his gigs like that.
Thanks - and i pretty much DO do them all that way these days!

I seemed to spend most of my festival in the CHURCH this year, which was LOVELY - tho, to this punter, it seems obvious they should remove the windows, at least when the acts are on (etc etc etc). Everything seemed to be in exactly the same place as last year, which made it feel like we'd never left, and it was brilliant to see SO many ace people again. Wandering through town today it felt WEIRD not to recognise anyone!

A wonderful weekend all round - bloody well done, Team Indietracks!

Papillons Noirs

Post by Papillons Noirs » Mon Aug 01, 2011 20:18

HAve to say that despite the generator pack in, it was a great laugh playing, despite being a bit pissed. I looked up and was wondering why on earth everyone was waving & thought they were gonna start singing 'Cheerio Cheerio Cheerio!' to get rid of us & then the balloon appeared.
Thought the Understudies, SKWBN, Crystal Stilts, Little Orchestra and others I've forgotten were all great. That cover of 'Dirty Boots' was pretty immense too. Dancing to 'Sensitive' was ace on the Saturday n ight, all of Paul on Friday & 'Who do you love?' by JAMC last night. Having to drink triple vodka & Red Bulls to get through last night was not so good. Enjoyed the drinking outside the travelodge also every night. 24 hour garage selling beer was a nice touch.
Wondering why there was a sanitary towel in my pocket when I got home though.

linus

Post by linus » Mon Aug 01, 2011 20:32

I've never heard it called that before

Papillons Noirs

Post by Papillons Noirs » Mon Aug 01, 2011 20:37

Haha. I hope it catchs on though. I have a lot of eupemisms stored up my sleeve.

linus

Post by linus » Mon Aug 01, 2011 20:49

your sleeve is it now?

I didn't know help stamp out loneliness were one of those dirty smut bands

Papillons Noirs

Post by Papillons Noirs » Mon Aug 01, 2011 20:51

I thought everyone knew that!

islandhopper
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/mi-fhein

Post by islandhopper » Mon Aug 01, 2011 21:25

Well, that was fun as usual! Some bands I was expecting to love and some surprises as ever.
Highlights were probably Very Truly Yours (their recordings don't do justice to just what an amazing live experience they are), Haiku Salut (those girls did an incredible amount of instrument switching and still made an entirely lovely noise), Withered hand (seemed to make a lot of converts and rightly so), Help Stamp Out Loneliness (it was an eventful set but those moments of glory made it all worthwile!), Edwyn Collins (I miss the Teenage Fanclub backing band of Bowlie but he still sounds great) and an acoustic set from Moustache of Insanity which was just great fun and fantastic to accidentally stumble across after not being able to get into the church gig. There was plenty more of course but you could go on forever if you listed them all.
The weather was lovely, if a bit hot, and even managed the impressive feat of making a whole crowd of British folk thankful to see clouds!

Anyway, here's some videos of varying quality that I took...

Forgot to mention this Hidden Cameras acoustic set actually but it was really beautiful

Haiku Salut in the church (also featuring the sound of the infamous "talking all the way through performances in the church man" from about the half way point)

Butcher Boy singing Carve A Pattern - it's from a really long way away but then again if I was any closer then the sound would just have been worse!

Moustache of Insanity with We Need More Awesome

fucking awesome

And a little bit of a dingy video of folk dancing to The Lovely Eggs at the Half My Heart Beats disco

oldgreentieon

Post by oldgreentieon » Mon Aug 01, 2011 22:19

carney wrote:Sloppy Joe were kind-of enjoyable, but there was something a bit grating about their facsimile sound.
Aw, I thought they were pretty good, even if their influences were hugely obvious. Did they have a facsimilie sound? - pastiche, maybe. They seemed happy to be there, and could play well and had good tunes. I'm glad I saw/heard them.

La-Di-Da

Post by La-Di-Da » Mon Aug 01, 2011 22:48

Wowzers!
That was good wasn't it?

Stuff I can remember being awesome:
Jeffrey Lewis and Hidden Cameras (the first set) making me completely open-mouthed and lost for words and gushy
Suburban Kids
The Hidden Cameras Part II
WIMPSHAKE!
Herman Dune going all GUITAR NOISE since I last saw them and rocking the shit out of the main stage
RSD and Moustache mini gigs in the Fika tent
Anguish Sandwich (and trying to say Anguish Sandwich after a few beers)
(most of) Horowitz (before having to run off for Jeff)
The Alternative Indietracks Guide
The train bar
The guy that climbed the pole in the campsite disco tent. What a champion!
Outrageous dancing and lunging
The campsite bar jukebox
All the discos!
Sam and Lisa's sexy tent
Being in actual pain from laughing too much
And of course all the lovely people that made me laugh too much.

SIGH.

hamsterguppies
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/modcentric

Post by hamsterguppies » Mon Aug 01, 2011 22:56

I enjoyed all the sets I caught tremendously. Favorites in no order - Very Truly Yours, Tiny Fireflies, Wendy Darlings, A Fine Day For Sailing, History of Apple Pie & Just Handshakes.

Favourite Indietracks moment was plucking up the courage to say hi to Kristine of Very Truly Yours &getting a hug from her (yes I'm very fangirl). I failed to convert my brother into an indiepop fan but it was good bonding time for us siblings so that's another plus point for our Indietracks 2011 experience :)

ketameaningless
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/music/The+whatevers

Post by ketameaningless » Mon Aug 01, 2011 23:40

' Even camping was okay, despite the braying wankers camped next to us who stayed up all Friday night shouting at each other about "life issues". They were old enough to know better. Still, you can run into these kind of people anywhere, and - oddly - they were all very tired on Saturday night and in bed very early.'

you certainly can! i think you are probably most likely to run into them again at your popfest in october, cos, um, it was us. really sorry from all at team whatevers. things just got a little bit messy
thanks to marianthi and everyone for inviting us and a big thank you to all the people who came to see us play. i hope we get invited back one day and if we do we promise not to get hammered on the strongest pills known to humanity and stagger around getting on everyone's tits again.
YEAH NOW I'M GONNA FUCK THA LOCH NESS MONSTA!

linus

Post by linus » Mon Aug 01, 2011 23:58

I attempted to write a blog piece earlier but it was awful

there were a ton of bands I missed and really wanted to see, a lot of bands I caught the tail end of and wished I'd seen from the start and a lot of bands I watched respectfully/approvongly from a distance while drinking, smoking (because I'm such a hard nut, me), eating (those halloumi wraps, oh boy), discussing dan pocketbooks' plans for the weekend, being appalled at dan pocketbooks' plans for the weekends and generally having a high time of it but the bands I saw and fucking loved and was entirely in the fucking moment for ('scuse the language, I'm being emphatic) were:

pocketbooks
the fireworks
sock puppets
the wendy darlings
milky wimpshake
the hidden cameras
anguish sandwich
mat patalano holding us all hostage on the train
zipper
jeffrey lewis
withered hand

I dug hearing two sonic youth covers on sunday, the wendy darlings doing a pastels cover, zipper doing a song about stephen pastel and flopping into bed on sunday night and watching 'under siege' that resulted in steven segal at indietracks fever dreams

I danced in a mimsyish shuffle at big pink cake and flailed around in an uncordinated manner at half my heart beats (average duration of dancing at each... approximately three songs... but what songs!)... both of which cavorts I enjoyed immensely but neither of which will win me any 'disco dancer of great britain' awards

I got a grand haul of rekkids, a sunburned forehead and dust everywhere

so many genius lovely brilliant people too, I'm in awe of you all, I fucking laughed/grinned like an idiot all weekend and sometimes I nearly cried with happiness, I was probably a bit of a fucking nuisance

anyway, indietracks organisers, midlands railway staff and volunteers, everyone who was there... thank you, thank you, thank you

YOU RULE!!!

julieocean

Post by julieocean » Tue Aug 02, 2011 00:03

Post-wedding poverty meant we were only there for Saturday, but what a scorcher! Highlights included:

The Garlands set in the Shed (and chatting to Christin afterwards who is just the loveliest person on the planet)
Beautiful, beautiful Amor de Dias in the Church with the sun going down in the background
Discovering the Next Time Passions (courtesy of Gary from Dufflecoat)
Anorak meet-up outside the signal box (everyone was so lovely) and reminiscing with tonieee about the Heavenly gig at the Yorker (happy days)
HSOL and their amazing aerobatic display/dogged persistence in the face of adversity (blowing up the Ace Bushy's amp on Thursday was clearly just a warm-up to knackering an entire generator!)
Watching all the little kids dancing to 'Completely and Utterly' in the Marquee
Moustache of Insanity drawing me (and Jonny) a duck (2 ducks in fact)! It was awesome!

Things that made me a little bit sad:

Not being there on Friday to see what sounds like a cracking set from Pocketbooks
Not being there on Sunday to see pretty much everyone who played in the Church and Very Truly Yours
Not getting to see Graeme Elston because I was in the loo and missed the sodding train

Thanks to Team Indietracks for, yet another, superb effort and PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE can we play next year?

thewronggirl
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/disenchantdpony

Post by thewronggirl » Tue Aug 02, 2011 02:24

Just to say a massive thank you to Team Indietracks for another perfect weekend and thanks for having Unpop to DJ- we had the best time! Too many highlights to mention, it is just actually the loveliest place on earth. Counting down the days 'til next year already.

Tweetotal
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/iceblinkluck

Post by Tweetotal » Tue Aug 02, 2011 08:01

amazing amazing amazing.

bit annoyed I can't find a site to buy sloppy joe's album that isn't in Japanese though
five to six, that's what the time is.

a layer of chips
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by a layer of chips » Tue Aug 02, 2011 09:19

ketameaningless wrote:' Even camping was okay, despite the braying wankers camped next to us who stayed up all Friday night shouting at each other about "life issues". They were old enough to know better. Still, you can run into these kind of people anywhere, and - oddly - they were all very tired on Saturday night and in bed very early.'

you certainly can! i think you are probably most likely to run into them again at your popfest in october, cos, um, it was us. really sorry from all at team whatevers. things just got a little bit messy
thanks to marianthi and everyone for inviting us and a big thank you to all the people who came to see us play. i hope we get invited back one day and if we do we promise not to get hammered on the strongest pills known to humanity and stagger around getting on everyone's tits again.

I'd like to make it clear that these people were not The Whatevers. The Whatevers are lovely. All other enquries to my press agency. No callers.