Golden Valley Caravan Park

29-31 July 2016: "a collective adventure in generalized joy and freely interdependent exuberance"
Pete Dale

Golden Valley Caravan Park

Post by Pete Dale » Tue Jul 29, 2008 17:48

Hello there - the Indie Tracks festival was bloody great. Well done to all organisers, excellent stuff. The only thing that marred it slightly, from my perspective, was the Golden Valley Caravan Park whose staff were consistently obnoxious. For example, they refused to serve a 'Sunday Dinner' which their cafe had advertised on a board, with the aggressively-given reason being "do you think I've got time to peel potatoes for you lot'; they were verbally abusive to my wife on more than one occasion, when she had politely asked simple questions such as where she should park her car (we were told we could not park our car on the campsite; I have complained about this since no notice was given of the inconvenience; the campsite are now saying that it 'should have been on the Indie Tracks webiste, which is crap - Golden Valley should have told us that a car could not be kept on site if you were attending the fest, a policy which I doubt they can seriously claim as a legitimacy - I intend to ask the ombudman); a member of staff, who claimed to be the site manager, threatened to throw me off the site because he didn't want me to stand (silently and alone, I might add) on a section of path whilst waiting for friends to catch up: 'either go to your tent or back to the festival by the time I count to 10 or I'll throw you off', he shouted at me (I let him get to 4 before I walked away... dickhead).

I have complained by e-mail to the campsite - they say they don't want to have the festival back next year and claim that the self-proclaimed 'site manager' is something to do with 'the railway', which is blatently a lie. The response they gave is bizzarely written in the extreme:

hi peter thank you for your email .and your complaint .the person .that you
are complaining about .was for the railway .they man the gate .the car that
had to park at the railway were told .it should have been on there web site
.because of all the trouble this weekend we are not going to have the
festival again here .sorry that you were treated this way

It seems to me that Golden Valley cannot unilaterally decide to refuse to have customers on their site who are attending a nearby music festival. They can, of course, deliberately be obnoxious and difficult towards such customers - and it seems to me self-evident that this is in fact what they did, all weekend.

Did anyone else receive rude and aggressive behaviour at the campsite? If so, PLEASE e-mail details (with as much detail as you can manage, please) to daleski@hotmail.co.uk as I intend to submit a formal complaint to AA, BH & HPA, English Tourism Council and British Holiday and Home Association. I'm deadly serious about this - nobody is going to treat me and my wife like this without a follow up).

If they didn't want us camping there, they should have told us before we arrived when we were all paying our deposits. If they didn't want us, as customers, to enjoy the same treatment that their usual customers receive (eg. use of the cafe, permission to park one's car next to one's tent, the right to polite treatment from campsite staff, the right to stand still on a path without being shouted at and threatened with eviction, and so on) they should have told us we were unwelcome prior to our arrival or should have lowered the fee given that we were not going to be allowed the normal customer treatment.

Once again, though, the fest was brilliant - despite the obnoxiousness of Golden Valley Caravan Park. Well done, and here's to next year - there's a lot of us, all we need is a field and a stage really. But let's not let the campsite treat us like this and leave it unremarked, eh?

Pete Dale (Milky Wimpshake).

pennybroadhurst

Re: Golden Valley Caravan Park

Post by pennybroadhurst » Tue Jul 29, 2008 18:10

They were consistently rude and obtuse to us - both on the phone and when we got there. We've already decided it's got to be the Travelodge next year - the combination of the cost of the campsite (which would have been fine if half the number of people had been there, it had been quiet, we could park and they'd been polite, but as it was turned out to be a complete rip-off) vs the treatment we were given and the fact that they were bolshy to us during the day but did little to nothing to stop the noise at night when we were trying to sleep (I know it's a festival, but I'm a teetotal adult with health issues, I want sleep) has really put us off. The only good thing was being able to have a bath early Saturday evening when I was feeling decidedly sorry for myself.

Richard
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/richarddsfar

Post by Richard » Tue Jul 29, 2008 19:20

A friend of ours gave us a lift back on the Sunday night, stopping via the campsite for us to get our belongings. However, some miserable bastard who worked their gave him a load of grief, repeating himself about three or four times, telling him he couldn't keep coming and going, despite only needing to park for about two minutes. He skillyfully managed to come across as remarkably rude and unhelpful in this short space of time.

The nicest staff were the ladies manning the burger van on the site. They were alright.

likeamadman

Post by likeamadman » Tue Jul 29, 2008 19:23

they seemed bemused and slightly put out on our arrival! they must have made an absolute killing from bar takings/food/tent charges etc.

2/3 nights of busy busy they should bloody well grin and bear it as far as i'm concerned.

massive kudos to the ladies in the cob van though, chatty and smily and chipper constantly.

didn't think the noise was a problem really - although we went to the benches away from the tents to chat and drink in the early hours.

Pardon My Rhythm

Post by Pardon My Rhythm » Tue Jul 29, 2008 19:23

The burger ladies were utterly lovely. They ran out of pretty much everything but kept smiling and remarking on how happy we must all be to have had such good weather.

boney
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/boneyboy

Post by boney » Tue Jul 29, 2008 19:26

It did totally seem like there was a schism between some of the people running the place regarding their attitudes to the festival. From it being full the day before suddenly it seemed pretty easy to get extra pitches on the day. I guess they're like anywhere - they'll take your money but still resent you at the same time.

Tomb
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tomb242

Post by Tomb » Tue Jul 29, 2008 19:40

Pardon My Rhythm wrote:The burger ladies were utterly lovely. They ran out of pretty much everything but kept smiling and remarking on how happy we must all be to have had such good weather.
Seconded and thirded. I think they liked my Cockney chatter whilst I waited for my luverley bacon cobs.

The bloke on the gate looked like he was a pain but I didn't see any behaviour you described. In fact they were very helpful when the gas cannister I had started leaking and managed to get it disposed without too much bother. However I did hear other people moaning about them.

SophieC
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/jamiec

Post by SophieC » Tue Jul 29, 2008 19:51

i think it's run by a family isn't it?

the delightful ladies in the cholesterol van told me that they were given permission to set up for the weekend by the son. however upon setting up the lady from the park stormed over and told her in no uncertain terms to fuck off the site because they were going to take all their business off them. they got an apology off her later on though. i think that qualifies as hearsay though and as such is inadmissible in court.

it was perfectly obvious who worked there due to them having faces so long that you could have called them a horse and ski jumped off them. however other than some bloke being less than helpful over the phone when i was booking i didn't have any trouble. in fact the woman who booked me in on reception was really nice. it's a shame though, the facilities are pretty good and they have quite tremendous goats.
When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called 'the People's Stick.'

Sootyzilla
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/sootyzilla

Post by Sootyzilla » Tue Jul 29, 2008 20:04

Pete Dale wrote: It seems to me that Golden Valley cannot unilaterally decide to refuse to have customers on their site who are attending a nearby music festival. They can, of course, deliberately be obnoxious and difficult towards such customers - and it seems to me self-evident that this is in fact what they did, all weekend.
I don't see how they can tell who's going to the festival and who isn't. I didn't tell them I was going to Indietracks when I booked, and they didn't ask. I suppose if they want to shut up shop over that weekend next year and not take any bookings at all, there's not a lot anyone can do about it. Most of us get grumpy when we're run off our feet at work, as I'm sure they were. I suspect hard-headed business sense will win out though and they won't want to turn their noses up at three nights' takings from a full camp site.

The hospitality industry seems full of cantankerous people, why is that?
As wrong as it was to do,
Those eyes were made to look into.

linus

Post by linus » Tue Jul 29, 2008 20:05

we met the owner's wife (actually she may be the co-owner) last year when we were waiting for a cab back on the sunday night (she turned up to pick up the takings) and she said she thought it was brilliant that there was a festival and they were getting all this business and hoped that it would be running this year

perhaps they don't own it anymore or perhaps some of the staff onsite (unlike the owners) just view festival folk and the increase in numbers on site as a pain in the arse... perhaps they were doing similar hours to the employees at swanwick junction but unlike the workers at swanwick junction failed to be consistently lovely and charming and dead friendly

it's a bad business and no mistake

humblebee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy

Post by humblebee » Tue Jul 29, 2008 20:10

Sootyzilla wrote:The hospitality industry seems full of cantankerous people, why is that?
It's a Great British Tradition to rank alongside pork crackling and social awkwardness.

I didn't experience any problems with the site (the tall red-haired lady in the café seemed to me just a teensy bit eccentric rather than hostile) but the treatment dished out to Mr Pete Dale and his missus is clearly abominable and I wish him the best in seeking redress.

It's a mystery how they think they can get away with denying you a car parking space when their own website includes one in the prices.

boney
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/boneyboy

Post by boney » Tue Jul 29, 2008 20:14

humblebee wrote:
Sootyzilla wrote:The hospitality industry seems full of cantankerous people, why is that?
It's a Great British Tradition to rank alongside pork crackling and social awkwardness.

I didn't experience any problems with the site (the tall red-haired lady in the café seemed to me just a teensy bit eccentric rather than hostile) but the treatment dished out to Mr Pete Dale and his missus is clearly abominable and I wish him the best in seeking redress.

It's a mystery how they think they can get away with denying you a car parking space when their own website includes one in the prices.
We paid for but didn't use a car space - and we clearly stated we were Indietracksing. Hm.

Uncle Ants

Post by Uncle Ants » Tue Jul 29, 2008 20:27

Its a bit of a tough one if you ask me. This year and last year I thought they were a bit rude, but on the other hand a proper campsite with proper facilities is a gazillion times better than the chogged up portaloo and a stand pipe you get at most festivals.

Edit ... but on t'other hand you are paying for the privilege too I guess.

PS. Just reading their reply, what trouble ???
Last edited by Uncle Ants on Tue Jul 29, 2008 20:30, edited 1 time in total.
In Recordeo Speramus

humblebee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy

Post by humblebee » Tue Jul 29, 2008 20:29

craigboney wrote:We paid for but didn't use a car space - and we clearly stated we were Indietracksing. Hm.
Same here. I got a lift, so we only needed one car for two tents. The price list doesn't allow for that option though, or for the possibiility that people might travel there by public transport, on a bike, or on foot. Which, apart from anything else, doesn't seem very environmentally aware.

pennybroadhurst

Post by pennybroadhurst » Tue Jul 29, 2008 21:02

humblebee wrote:
craigboney wrote:We paid for but didn't use a car space - and we clearly stated we were Indietracksing. Hm.
Same here. I got a lift, so we only needed one car for two tents. The price list doesn't allow for that option though, or for the possibiility that people might travel there by public transport, on a bike, or on foot. Which, apart from anything else, doesn't seem very environmentally aware.
Well, no. They should knock something off if you either haven't come by car (quite a lot of people) or they're not letting you park your car on site (everyone?) because they're squeezing more people in and taking the extra money. They were very very keen to make sure to tell us when we arrived that we had to park at the festival site and must unload as quickly as possible or they would move us on.

Sootyzilla
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/sootyzilla

Post by Sootyzilla » Tue Jul 29, 2008 21:08

Well, they seem to have much more space for tents than they do for cars; considering their location I imagine most people do come in cars most of the year so I can't figure out how that works. Unless they're never more than half full except when indie tracks is on.

do we really cause more trouble than the scorpions fans?
As wrong as it was to do,
Those eyes were made to look into.

georgethe23rd
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/georgethe23rd

Post by georgethe23rd » Tue Jul 29, 2008 21:11

I thought the campsite was great, and far preferable to a rubbish campsite onsite.

The staff were worked off their feet on probably the busiest and hottest weekend of the year; the nice young bald chap in the fluorescent vest was totally knackered when I chatted to him.

It maybe explains their unhelpful behaviour, though I'm not condoning it.

Festival campers had no choice but to park offsite as otherwise we wouldn't have squeezed all the cars in; especially with the cute little train going round the campsite.

Trev
Last.fm: lostmusic

Post by Trev » Tue Jul 29, 2008 21:25

I didn't experience any grumpyness - but really didn't speak to anyone from the site more than 4 or 5 times - the whole weekend. I prefer the site to a hotel or a crappy onsite campsite. The showers worked. The loos worked. The upstairs bar was open late. I dunno. I heard a few people moan about the staff - but didn't see it myself.
not really here

strengthofstrings
Last.fm: shazrazzamatazz

Post by strengthofstrings » Tue Jul 29, 2008 22:56

georgethe23rd wrote:The staff were worked off their feet on probably the busiest and hottest weekend of the year; the nice young bald chap in the fluorescent vest was totally knackered when I chatted to him.
He didn't seem to stop working! He wouldn't let my dad into the site when he dropped me off, but was very apologetic about it. The reception lady was lovely. The mad lady in the cafe was lovely (although the bloke seemed a bit mard). The cob family were adorable despite running out of everything; you didn't care because they served you whatever was left with a smile. The only miser was some bloke (I think possibly the site manager) asking my dad where he was going when he went for a piss, but my dad can give as good as he gets.

To be honest with you, I was more concerned about the pricks pissing off the top of the adventure playground platform. If they're going to be so disrespectful for what I think is a good campsite with decent and clean facilities, then it's no wonder they won't want us back.

Still, I'm sorry to hear you received bad treatment Pete.

Trev
Last.fm: lostmusic

Post by Trev » Tue Jul 29, 2008 23:02

strengthofstrings wrote:To be honest with you, I was more concerned about the pricks pissing off the top of the adventure playground platform. If they're going to be so disrespectful for what I think is a good campsite with decent and clean facilities, then it's no wonder they won't want us back.
Didn't see any of this when I was up that way on Friday/Saturday - must've turned in at 2:30ish both nights - I know I missed some party thing on the Sunday - but I was out of energy and asleep by 1am I'd guess.
not really here