My new zine idea: the personal fanzine.

promote, discuss, start your fanzine here!
alongwaltz
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/alongwaltz/

My new zine idea: the personal fanzine.

Post by alongwaltz » Sat Oct 20, 2012 03:34

I thought of it while I was in bed the other night trying to fall asleep so I don't know if it's any good or not.

I love fanzines. I also love perzines. (I've been publishing my own for three and a half years.) Most interviews I've found, whether they be zine, radio, TV, or blog, tend to follow similar lines of questioning, though: "What's song x about? How was the new album recorded? Are you going on tour soon?"

What about a perzine approach to fanzine interviews? Instead of interviewing bands about being in a band the interviews would instead focus on things like day jobs, childhood, romantic relationships, hopes & dreams, and feelings.

There's obviously a large number of people who would prefer not to share details of their personal lives but there would hopefully be others who would be interested in the exercise. As long as the premise of the zine was explained up front there shouldn't be any issues.

Is this a terrible idea? Borderline invasive? You don't really care how the guitarist in that band met his wife or where the singer in that other band grew up anyway?

indiansummer
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/heartsturnblue

Re: My new zine idea: the personal fanzine.

Post by indiansummer » Sat Oct 20, 2012 08:45

i'd be interested to see it, i think

i suppose the reason perzines work is that the author tends to be volunteering the information about themselves, like autobio comics or publishing a diary or something. i'm not sure how successful you'd be in terms of obtaining that information from other people, maybe especially musicians - hell, i interviewed one reunited college rock band last year that even seethed at basic questions like their choice of band name, or their favourite colours.

if you can make it work, though, i'd like to see it. it might turn out that it's not very interesting to read that information about bands after all, or that they just don't wanna tell you much of it... but it might be a good read. give it a go, i guess
Last edited by indiansummer on Sat Oct 20, 2012 14:57, edited 1 time in total.
halo my middle, a hula hoop hug

plath

Post by plath » Sat Oct 20, 2012 14:22

I like zines, especially perzines. Unfortunately, I can't find many of those (here, zines=comic) so I order them online. Let me know about yours! I'd also be interested in that personal view of musicians though I don't know where's the line between interesting cool-zine-questions and Smash Hits questionnaires. And by the way, I'm going to Ottawa next week, I'm staying there for a month. Any zine-related fun?
A D A D Em7 Fdim D7/F#

malaise

Post by malaise » Sat Oct 20, 2012 15:28

I think its a great idea. Band interviews are usually a snooze-fest.

alongwaltz
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/alongwaltz/

Post by alongwaltz » Mon Oct 22, 2012 21:12

plath wrote:And by the way, I'm going to Ottawa next week, I'm staying there for a month. Any zine-related fun?
I'm not really familiar with the Ottawa area. Unfortunately the biggest zine fair in Canada was yesterday.