places where you can go and have fun
String Bean Jen
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/string_bean_jen/

The Secret History + Comet Gain + Pale Spectres, London 25.7

Post by String Bean Jen » Sat May 25, 2013 12:06

Colour Me Pop presents:
The Secret History with Comet Gain and Pale Spectres
Thursday, July 25, 8pm
Upstairs at The Miller, 96 Snowsfields Road, SE1 3SS (behind London Bridge station)
^^^^Advance tickets: £7 (£8 on the door) from We Got Tickets ^^^^
Facebook event
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Colour Me Pop is so very proud to present this Indietracks warm-up show featuring brilliant bands from some of the world’s most glittering cities. I am honoured that The Secret History will be playing their first UK show here ahead of their Indietracks debut.

The Secret History (New York)
The Secret History write the story of the world that never was. Michael Grace Jr. has been painting pictures of homeless club kids, young men at the century’s end, party crashers and starry-eyed suburban dreamers since the last century. When his internationally adored band My Favorite ended in 2005, The Secret History soon appeared around the corner with new singer Lisa Ronson. To date, the band have graced us with one EP and one album. Excitingly, this June, their new album will be released. ‘Americans Singing in the Dark’ has already shared with us its song ‘Age of Victoria’. The dual vocals of Michael and Lisa are immediately appealing and the song combines sad but hopeful lyrics with an upbeat tempo and rich, beautiful sounds. It’s something The Secret History does very well. You cannot ignore these lyrics and the chiming guitars and washes of synths take your heart.

In addition to The Secret History’s songs of the past, present and future, Michael has shared that they will play a few My Favorite songs. Come out to see one of this generation’s best writers and most thoughtful, inspiring bands.

*Watch the fabulous videos to ‘Johnny Nightmare’ and ‘Johnny Anorak’.*

Comet Gain (London landmark)
As The Secret History weave narratives about lost Americans, Comet Gain tell us about the kids at the club from a distinctly British perspective. The dual Rachel and David vocals of this band often mirror Lisa and Michael’s vocals of The Secret History – soul punk to post pop. While the band have been through a number of line-up changes, they are strong as ever, as I witnessed in April when they played with Veronica Falls at Islington Assembly Hall. David’s red Rickenbacker shone under the lights and we could even hear the percussive shakey egg, so clear was the sound. Support your London legends!

Pale Spectres(We’ll always have Paris)
Pale Spectres are hopping aboard the Eurostar to London from Paris to play their first UK show just before their Indietracks performance. They’ve charmed their own city and headed south to Limoges to play the ‘Pop & Merguez’ summer festival of sunshine, wine and pop music. From their name you might guess that their sound nods to the 80s and it does. I love that chiming, slightly haunting guitar sound so, and hope that you will too. Apparently some English friends and family will be seeing the band for the first time so join them for this celebration.

Listen to Pale Spectres’ single ‘Helen of Troy’ here. You can also listen to ‘I Know We’re Special’ on Little Treasure’s page. Pale Spectres’ Little Treasure EP is sold out on the record label’s page but do hop around the various online distros and try to find it.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Roque from Cloudberry Records will be DJing in between bands and until we have the room. His new imprint – Cloudberry Dream Workshop – is putting out The Secret History’s new album.
The Secret History 1-sided flyer - smallest.jpg
Last edited by String Bean Jen on Tue May 28, 2013 17:23, edited 1 time in total.
There's more than one use for every part

leonardo
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Re: The Secret History + Comet Gain + Pale Spectres, London

Post by leonardo » Sun May 26, 2013 10:06

Amazing bands
Great djs
Beautiful poster

Definitely have something going there...Well done on what's surely going to be one of the best shows

String Bean Jen

Post by String Bean Jen » Sun May 26, 2013 11:28

leonardo wrote:Amazing bands
Great djs
Beautiful poster

Definitely have something going there...Well done on what's surely going to be one of the best shows
Thank you very much for your kind words of support, Leo. :-)

The poster combines my love of cycling and upright bikes with Michael's pride in his Sicilian heritage and his ongoing chatter about his beloved Palermo football club.

Roque received the albums yesterday! Americans Singing in the Dark will be available next week at NYC Popfest, at this show (of course) and at Indietracks if you want to purchase in person.
Attachments
264471_10151626552772855_1308468823_n.jpg

String Bean Jen

Post by String Bean Jen » Tue May 28, 2013 17:27

Tickets are now on sale for £7 here. If there are any left at the time of the show, they will be £8 at the door.

Michael from The Secret History wrote today:
To celebrate our return, a week of action including Sunday June 2 at NYC Popfest and our Wednesday June 5 release party Glasslands Gallery we are making this special digital 12" 'Beta City Heartbreak' available for free right up through the 5th. It features our new plastic soul hit 'Age of Victoria,' backed with last years album preview, the epic 'Sergio' and Plastic Flowers remarkable remix.

Though Bandcamp allows you to 'pay what you wish,' we have 200 free downloads available this month and encourage our supportive friends and fans on social media to grab one. if you like it, let people know, and consider picking up the whole LP 'Americans Singing In The Dark.' in a few weeks when it is released. -MGJR
You can listen to and download 'Beta City Heartbreak' here.
Attachments
Beta City Heartbreak.jpg

kofi
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by kofi » Wed May 29, 2013 09:31

dammit, can't make this one, clashes with something else. looks great!

MattH

Post by MattH » Thu May 30, 2013 08:45

Fuck me.
Take Buddha. Take Hope. Take That.

String Bean Jen

Post by String Bean Jen » Fri May 31, 2013 15:21

kofi wrote:dammit, can't make this one, clashes with something else. looks great!
That's a shame. Will you at least get to see The Secret History and Pale Spectres at Indietracks?
MattH wrote:Fuck me.
So you'll be at our show then? :-)

The Secret History have started a Kickstarter. It's horrendously expensive to fly from New York to the UK at the height of summer. It is even more so to do it with 6 band members. They're only looking to raise 1/3 of their total expenses. The rest, they will pay themselves. The return gifts range from lovingly designed t-shirts and tote bags to Michael Grace Jr. interviewing you and writing a song about you!

You can learn more about their campaign and donate here.

MattH

Post by MattH » Fri May 31, 2013 23:59

String Bean Jen wrote:
kofi wrote:dammit, can't make this one, clashes with something else. looks great!
That's a shame. Will you at least get to see The Secret History and Pale Spectres at Indietracks?
MattH wrote:Fuck me.
So you'll be at our show then? :-)

The Secret History have started a Kickstarter. It's horrendously expensive to fly from New York to the UK at the height of summer. It is even more so to do it with 6 band members. They're only looking to raise 1/3 of their total expenses. The rest, they will pay themselves. The return gifts range from lovingly designed t-shirts and tote bags to Michael Grace Jr. interviewing you and writing a song about you!

You can learn more about their campaign and donate here.
Yeah I'll try and make it down. Can't make any promises but The Secret History are fucking incredible. Michael Grace Jr is perhaps the finest lyricist of his generation.

String Bean Jen

Post by String Bean Jen » Mon Jun 10, 2013 21:25

MattH wrote:Yeah I'll try and make it down. Can't make any promises but The Secret History are fucking incredible. Michael Grace Jr is perhaps the finest lyricist of his generation.
I absolutely agree with this. I hope others do too.

Tonight I have added some more tickets to We Got Tickets. We've already sold 38 and the capacity of The Miller is only 100 (and I think we have to include band members!). So if you're thinking of coming, please do buy a ticket in advance for £7. If there are any left at the door, they will be £8.

Finally, The Secret History have made their new album available for streaming and online purchase one week before its official release on Cloudberry Dream Workshop. Stream and buy it here!

String Bean Jen

Post by String Bean Jen » Tue Jun 18, 2013 21:17

Today is the release day for Americans Singing in the Dark! You can buy it here, here or at our show.

'Sup Magazine (!) debuted the band's new video today for 'Johnny Panic (Forget Everything)' to coincide with the release. They've written a fabulous overview of the characters of the song's narrative as acted out in the video by Michael Grace Jr. (whose directorial debut it also is) and Kip Berman with appearances by this fabulously talented band too.

Read all about the video and watch it here.

MattH

Post by MattH » Thu Jul 11, 2013 00:11

Tickets have all gone now folks.

Congratulations to The Secret History on selling out their first ever UK show!

String Bean Jen

Post by String Bean Jen » Thu Jul 11, 2013 21:34

MattH wrote:Tickets have all gone now folks.

Congratulations to The Secret History on selling out their first ever UK show!
It's true! The show is totally sold out. It's exciting but I feel a bit sad for those who wanted to come and didn't purchase tickets in advance. If any ticket holders can't come for any reason, please contact me to sell your tickets as I know people who will purchase them immediately!

Yesterday, The Secret History also premiered a new video for my favourite song off the album, 'Eleanor (The City and Sea)'. Read about the video here.

(The embedding to a YouTube video is not working! I've tried every combination to get it to show but nothing.)

sideburnsjim
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/niceaction

Post by sideburnsjim » Thu Jul 11, 2013 23:02

I cant bloody wait for this. Its probably been nearly 15 years since I got a My Favorite song on a mixtape, and now I get to see MGJR play for reals! This is proper eeeeeeeeeeee territory!

String Bean Jen

Post by String Bean Jen » Tue Jul 16, 2013 21:09

sideburnsjim wrote:I cant bloody wait for this. Its probably been nearly 15 years since I got a My Favorite song on a mixtape, and now I get to see MGJR play for reals! This is proper eeeeeeeeeeee territory!
Oh, I *love* to hear this! I totally agree.

Did My Favorite never make it to the UK? I'll have to ask Michael.

Speaking of Mr. Grace, he did this fabulous interview with Swedish site Konstpretton. There are very few musicians who will happily share their criticisms so eloquently and at such length. A good, long read; how great that they gave him an avenue to do so (they are fans!).

Lots of quality statements that interview:
Capitalism has finally alienated us from our music. Rock n’ roll was actually one of the success stories of capitalism in the 20th century. But no longer. We need to demand poetry.
”Our Lady Of Palermo” from the last TSH album is like a gospel song, a prayer. ”Love Theme (From The World That Never Was)” on the other hand is full of desolation and degradation, but in a seductive way, tricks the listener into wandering down that dark alley. When I hear ”Le Monster” from My Favorite I can actually smell the damp student houses of the late 90s. It fills me with that radioactive depression anew. ”Burning Hearts” is a song where all the elements just come together balletically, I couldn’t recreate that again if I tried.
The state of the Nation is pretty dire. America is still a Young Idea. But I feel the things which make it compelling are fading, while the things that make it dangerous are becoming completely entrenched.

MattH

Post by MattH » Tue Jul 16, 2013 23:19

Incredible interview there Jen.

Michael Grace Jr is one of the most literate men to ever write music.

I urge everybody who has ever cared for indiepop to check out this gig. I can't make it unfortunately.

crystalball
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/felters

Post by crystalball » Wed Jul 17, 2013 14:36

String Bean Jen wrote:
They did! But they only played one gig in London in June (I think) 2005 and that was it.

String Bean Jen

Post by String Bean Jen » Tue Jul 23, 2013 21:07

crystalball wrote:
String Bean Jen wrote:
They did! But they only played one gig in London in June (I think) 2005 and that was it.
And then they split up a few months later. :-(
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok, show times for Thursday for the lucky ticket holders! (Reminder: it is sold out)

8pm: Doors Open

8:30pm: PALE SPECTRES

9:15pm: COMET GAIN

10:15pm: THE SECRET HISTORY

11:15pm: Live music finishes
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You're also going to want to get your hand on some of this gorgeous merch from The Secret History. This is the most sturdy tote bag and multi-dimensional to boot! Their new album on Cloudberry is also lushly designed and packaged, like a book and the most unique shape.
Attachments
Bag & CD small.jpg

String Bean Jen

Post by String Bean Jen » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:41

How dull life seems after a week of dazzling pop shows and Indietracks. This show kicked it all off for me and I know there were lots of out-of-towners & holidaymakers (all the way from Japan!) that came specially for this show. Thank you to all who came and sweated happily at The Miller! I appreciated it so very much.

I took some videos of our fabulous Frenchies Pale Spectres and the top chroniclers of modern-day beauty and ennui, The Secret History:

Pale Spectres - 'Better Than Love'

The Secret History - 'The Suburbs are Killing Us'

The Secret History - 'The Informers'

I have pictures of the night here which also includes Comet Gain who were right on this evening. David filled their set with amusing tales since I gave them 45 minutes to play. What a wonderful night. Please like Colour Me Pop to hear about the occasional/annual show.

String Bean Jen

Post by String Bean Jen » Tue Aug 06, 2013 20:33

To conclude! I just wanted to post up the fantastic songs that Cloudberry Roque played before, in between and (for a bit) after the bands. He's just the best indiepop DJ. I always find myself wondering what he's playing and wanting to twirl about to both what I do and do not know. POP!
- Tony Head Experience - Debbie One
- Burning Hearts - I Lost My Colour Vision
- Black Cillas - Sebastian
- Kids on a Crime Spree - Trumpets of Death
- Fountains - Easily Led
- Patel Blue - Younger Saints
- The Pastels - Holy Moly
- The Darling Buds - If I Said
- The Siddeleys - Sunshine Thuggery
- Po! - Treasure
- Days - Downhill
- Dolly Mixture - Side Street Walker