02/02 Smokers Die Younger/Dýrðin/Champion Kickboxer - London

places where you can go and have fun
User avatar
Pop Kid
Posts: 552
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:49
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/boyinky
Location: London
Contact:

Post by Pop Kid » Fri Feb 01, 2008 16:55

Trev Lostmusic wrote:Tomorrow!
Hurrah! Should be there.

Andy...
Posts: 259
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 14:42
Contact:

Post by Andy... » Fri Feb 01, 2008 17:58

Me too :-)

User avatar
Trev
Posts: 6877
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:56
Last.fm: lostmusic
Location: Cardiff
Contact:

Post by Trev » Sat Feb 02, 2008 01:17

Sweet!

Would be good to see you both again. :-)
not really here

Outcognito
Posts: 1024
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:26
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: Smoke-on-Toast
Contact:

Post by Outcognito » Sun Feb 03, 2008 02:29

How was it?
It's so easy when the door is wide open.

User avatar
Trev
Posts: 6877
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:56
Last.fm: lostmusic
Location: Cardiff
Contact:

Post by Trev » Sun Feb 03, 2008 05:24

Drunken
and
fun
and
fun
and
sillly
and
drunk
and
wonderful
not really here

tekno_alice
Posts: 435
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 18:41

Post by tekno_alice » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:25

Trev Lostmusic wrote:Drunken
and
fun
and
fun
and
sillly
and
drunk
and
wonderful
did you really send that at 6.24 this morning? hardcore! glad it was a fun night, did you get many people down in the end?

User avatar
ian
Posts: 1410
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:19
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by ian » Sun Feb 03, 2008 13:34

tekno_alice wrote: did you really send that at 6.24 this morning? hardcore! glad it was a fun night, did you get many people down in the end?
i can easily believe it. i left at 3.30am and trev and co were still going strong! a fun night.
-----------
How Does It Feel To Be Loved? indie pop and soul club - http://www.howdoesitfeel.co.uk
Great Big Kiss soul club - https://www.howdoesitfeel.co.uk/greatbigkiss.html

User avatar
Tomb
Posts: 1263
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:53
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tomb242
Location: Legra
Contact:

Post by Tomb » Sun Feb 03, 2008 14:01

Ian wrote:i can easily believe it. i left at 3.30am and trev and co were still going strong! a fun night.
tekno alice wrote:did you really send that at 6.24 this morning? hardcore! glad it was a fun night, did you get many people down in the end?
We left about 4am but only because the bar staff wanted to go home! I am just about in the land of the living now. Our Icelandic friends know how to drink!

Thanks to who those who came and Drydin were simply fantastic. A lot louder live than they are on record. I think the Ramones in them was coming out! Lovely people as well.

Not sure the club thing after the bands worked but I put that down to the bar being separate to where the music was. We may make the bands then club a monthly thing and try and build it up from there.

And to answer Alice's question we got around 52 paying punters.

Thanks to Exeter Goes Pop for playing quality indie pop all night long!

User avatar
Trev
Posts: 6877
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:56
Last.fm: lostmusic
Location: Cardiff
Contact:

Post by Trev » Sun Feb 03, 2008 15:30

I lost my wallet somewhere between 4am and home. Bummer.

That was my only down point.

I loved all the bands for different reasons:

The Bridport Dagger were a great surprise and very good.
Champion Kickboxer were really great. They write haunting pop music.
Dyrdin. What can I say - great people - fun band - top pop show.
Smokers Die Younger - A right feast of sounds and noise and although I was drunk by this stage - they stick in my memory too for all the right reasons!

Exeter Goes Pop! A shame everyone went and sat in the bar - but I certainly enjoyed dancing to The Magnetic Fields, Tallulah Gosh and the like.

I've only just started to feel human.
not really here

User avatar
Trev
Posts: 6877
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:56
Last.fm: lostmusic
Location: Cardiff
Contact:

Post by Trev » Sun Feb 03, 2008 18:20

and who can forget 'Dave' the drunken Glaswegian. Who saw the clash. And also wanted to hear some ska/punk.
not really here

Kerrykerry
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:55
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: London

Post by Kerrykerry » Sun Feb 03, 2008 21:24

Trev Lostmusic wrote:and who can forget 'Dave' the drunken Glaswegian. Who saw the clash. And also wanted to hear some ska/punk.
Ah yes, quite a character. Some great tunes after the bands, a shame no one was dancing.

Andy...
Posts: 259
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 14:42
Contact:

Post by Andy... » Sun Feb 03, 2008 21:25

It was a really good night, well done Tom and Trev. Quite a few characters in the audience, not least the dancing guy in the hat! And we lost a game of pool to a guy who'd clearly had way too many drinks! I think I liked Dyrdin the best!

gofelt
Posts: 519
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 14:24
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/bachelorkisses

Post by gofelt » Sun Feb 03, 2008 22:00

Trev Lostmusic wrote:I lost my wallet somewhere between 4am and home. Bummer.

That was my only down point.

I loved all the bands for different reasons:

The Bridport Dagger were a great surprise and very good.
Champion Kickboxer were really great. They write haunting pop music.
Dyrdin. What can I say - great people - fun band - top pop show.
Smokers Die Younger - A right feast of sounds and noise and although I was drunk by this stage - they stick in my memory too for all the right reasons!

Exeter Goes Pop! A shame everyone went and sat in the bar - but I certainly enjoyed dancing to The Magnetic Fields, Tallulah Gosh and the like.

I've only just started to feel human.
Indeed, it was a lovely night. Dimitra and Martijn played some brilliant indiepop tunes. It's a shame people sat outside. Trev, please get them back for another indiepop special.

Trev, always lovely to dance to the Magnetic Fields with you:-)
I slice the surface here beside you/Lungs filled liquid yell I love you/Sound moves further underwater
Deep and dark my submarine bells groan in greens and grey/Mine would chime a thousand times/To make you feel okay..

User avatar
Trev
Posts: 6877
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:56
Last.fm: lostmusic
Location: Cardiff
Contact:

Post by Trev » Sun Feb 03, 2008 22:08

I'm glad you all enjoyed the night. That's the reason for doing them!
not really here

User avatar
Tomb
Posts: 1263
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:53
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tomb242
Location: Legra
Contact:

Post by Tomb » Sun Feb 03, 2008 22:23

gofelt wrote:Indeed, it was a lovely night. Dimitra and Martijn played some brilliant indiepop tunes. It's a shame people sat outside. Trev, please get them back for another indiepop special.
We will do just that maybe later in the year.

User avatar
Trev
Posts: 6877
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:56
Last.fm: lostmusic
Location: Cardiff
Contact:

Post by Trev » Sun Feb 03, 2008 22:37

A full set of pics is on Flickr

And here are some pictures from the night

Smokers Die Younger:
Image
Image

Drydin:
Image

Champion Kickboxer:
Image

The Bridport Dagger:
Image
not really here

User avatar
Martijn
Posts: 1260
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 20:27
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/thinksmall
Location: Exeter
Contact:

Post by Martijn » Mon Feb 04, 2008 13:34

We had fun too. It was sad that only a few songs got people dancing, but we had fun playing the songs nevertheless. Also, in Exeter people never dance. (Because they never turn up.) It was a good weekend and well worth coming down to London for.

Also, I'm glad I saw Dyrdin - they were pretty ace. I still feel bad for not being able to play AGSFB or The Icicles as they requested - these were the very two bands I considered taking but then didn't, because who would like to hear them anyway.

I think I exchanged some words with KerryKerry, while I was playing Ultrasport. I am afraid I am much less awkward and anti-social on an internet forum like this this than I am in real life.

User avatar
Trev
Posts: 6877
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:56
Last.fm: lostmusic
Location: Cardiff
Contact:

Post by Trev » Mon Feb 04, 2008 13:42

Martijn wrote:We had fun too.
Phew! Was really worried that the small crowd for the dancing would have spoilt your night. Glad it didn't. Thanks so much for playing the great songs afterwards! We'd be more than glad to have you back for another night in the future.
not really here

DimitraDaisy
Posts: 160
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:43
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/zoziepop/
Location: Exeter, Devon
Contact:

Post by DimitraDaisy » Mon Feb 04, 2008 14:08

Trev Lostmusic wrote:
Martijn wrote:We had fun too.
Phew! Was really worried that the small crowd for the dancing would have spoilt your night. Glad it didn't. Thanks so much for playing the great songs afterwards! We'd be more than glad to have you back for another night in the future.
We did have fun. Though I wouldn't quite call you and Mr Honeypop a crowd, the way you bounced to 'Talulah Gosh' did make my night.

User avatar
Trev
Posts: 6877
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:56
Last.fm: lostmusic
Location: Cardiff
Contact:

Post by Trev » Mon Feb 04, 2008 14:11

DimitraDaisy wrote:
Trev Lostmusic wrote: Phew! Was really worried that the small crowd for the dancing would have spoilt your night. Glad it didn't. Thanks so much for playing the great songs afterwards! We'd be more than glad to have you back for another night in the future.
We did have fun. Though I wouldn't quite call you and Mr Honeypop a crowd, the way you bounced to 'Talulah Gosh' did make my night.
ahh, yes - my hazy head remembers things that didn't happen and forgets the things that did.
not really here

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest