The Football

football, cricket, darts, athletics - the lot
leon
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/lc86

Re: The Football

Post by leon » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:13

bulgariandisco wrote:
indiansummer wrote:http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.u ... z2bSUQq4sI

in fairness, occasional supporter* stephen malkmus has been calling them that for years

*anglophile name-dropper
Beautiful stuff. I now expect to see Steve Bruce in the dug-out with his face painted like a Tiger to strengthen 'international brand awareness'. I doubt he'd object.
This is brilliant. "Tigers! Tigers! Ra! Ra! Ra!"

For some reason they really hate us but we've always been indifferent to them which must be really annoying.
"and Valley Parade is showing all its finery"

indiansummer
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/heartsturnblue

Post by indiansummer » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:30

i wish phil 'phil brown' brown was still in charge of the hull city tigers. he'd be all over the face paint
halo my middle, a hula hoop hug

a layer of chips
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by a layer of chips » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:31

If he goes out in the rain, he looks remarkably like that Tiger on their club badge.

indiansummer

Post by indiansummer » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:32

leon

Post by leon » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:33

People in the office are looking at me wondering why I'm laughing so much.

Dan

Post by Dan » Fri Aug 09, 2013 14:45

richie rich wrote:I was a Chris Waddle fan. He had that signature move. Ball out in front of him, feint one way (drop of the shoulder), once the opponent had committed he went the other… didn’t he? Maybe I’m confusing him with someone else.
Definitely Waddle. A friend saw him play for Hallam FC the other week against Chesterfield U18s, and said he was still trying it. See 38 seconds into this.

Sheffield Wednesday

How will you do?

I think there will probably be at least three or four teams that do worse, so not too bad.

Which teams did you like and dislike most last season?

Dislike: Leeds

Quite liked that Middlesbrough turned up for the last game of the season with absolutely no intention of doing anything that might have gotten us relegated, and 'ull for making us look great on the tele.

What was the best moment of last season?

First game of the season; being genuinely convinced that Rodri was going to be the greatest striker since David Hirst.

What was the worst moment of last season?

Losing to Leicester at home was particularly grim.

What is your club's great contribution to football history?

Apparently Wednesday employed the first professional footballer in England. I didn't know that, I just had to look for something on Wikipedia.

I like that Max Keiser has become a fan, "because Jarvis Cocker is".

humblebee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy

Post by humblebee » Fri Aug 09, 2013 14:51

Dan wrote:Definitely Waddle. A friend saw him play for Hallam FC the other week against Chesterfield U18s, and said he was still trying it. See 38 seconds into this.
Aw man. Wish English football still made 'em like him.

*checks out season ticket prices at Sandygate*

leon

Post by leon » Fri Aug 09, 2013 15:19

Sorry Richie Rich, I didn't spot your earlier reply. Yeah it was a good goal that day but Palace went on to overwhelm us after that early shock.

I think Chris Waddle is probably my all time favourite player. The mixture of arrogance with the ball and self deprecation without it made for a brilliant player and character to watch. I feel very lucky to have seen him play for my team and seen his genius first hand. I also saw him play for Spurs against us when he was in his prime.

I watch that Waddle Marseille montage whenever I feel blue about football.

indiansummer

Post by indiansummer » Fri Aug 09, 2013 15:38

Everton

How will you do?

New manager, so christ knows. i'm expecting us to do a little worse in the league but make a better fist of the cup competitions than usual. a lot depends on whether we'll keep Baines or Fellaini, and who'll be brought in to replace whichever one of them inevitably goes.

Like: warmed to Southampton as the season went on, and i think everyone except maybe Cardiff fans had something of a fondness for Laudrup's Swansea. obviously everyone supported Wigan on cup final day an' all. but i guess it's pretty hard to genuinely like any premier league side unless you support one.

Dislike: QPR's Hughes/Fernandes/Redknapp axis of cunt took some beating (EDIT: sorry Andy), and of course there's always Liverpool, for obvious reasons. but United's tapping-up of our manager left a bad taste in the mouth, particularly because he subsequently strung us along for months before leaving with no compensation. ok, things had gone stale for both Moyes and Everton, and a change was definitely needed, but that was a shitty way to go. he and they can fuck off with their £12m offers for arguably the best left-back in the country.

The final whistle of the season opener against United at Goodison. the most optimistic i've felt about a coming season in years... shame we pissed away a few decent home wins in the winter, but hey-ho. that's football innit; if you watched it entirely because you wanted to win things you'd be gutted an awful lot of the time.

losing 0-4 to Wigan in the cup, as the entire team suddenly decided to play like utter cack. Moyes' decision to drop playmaker Gibson for a clearly-past-it Neville was the ultimate display of his pragmatism backfiring, and the writing was on the wall from then on

i suppose things like Dixie Dean and the School Of Science trump mundane stuff like being the first english club to have undersoil heating

but i think we all know our greatest contribution was Duncan Ferguson very unsubtly punching the ever-punchable Paul Scharner in the gut a few years back. we'd all love to have been him at that moment in time.

(worst contribution: 'the Mersey Millionaires', and its legacy that led to us being one of the clubs that campaigned for introduction of the Premier League. luckily we shitted it all up for ourselves pretty quickly)

linus

Post by linus » Fri Aug 09, 2013 15:53

QPR

How will you do?

Vaguely promising start fading inevitably, grindingly into mid-table obscurity with a change of manager/board around mid-season. Financial and boardroom capers a-plenty.

Back to the routine of being in the Championship.

Dislike:
QPR- a team that once upon at time were many people's 'second favourite club' now has the honour of being most people's second most sneered at club. Unless you're a QPR fan, of course, and then it's your first.

That it eventually ended. A bit like a violent bout of gastric flu, it's that almost euphoric feeling you get when you realise it's stopped.

Yes

Financial hokery-pokery?
Sir Stanley Bowles?
Sir Leslie of Ferdinand?
Viscount Roy Wegerle?
But judging by the look of most QPR fans of a certain vintage, the Rodney Marsh feathercut just won't lose it's appeal nor lustre.

Damian
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/peppermint_fox

Post by Damian » Fri Aug 09, 2013 15:59

Blackburn Rovers

How will you do?
I think it's going one of the two extremes this year, I'm hoping we'll be top end of the table, but the turmoil that seems to continue to envelope the club is probably going to mean another season spoilt by the owners and their massively headscratching decisions. Blackburn have some quality strikers, though, so maybe it'll be alright

Which teams did you like and dislike most last season
?
I've got a soft spot for Nottingham Forest, partly because I live here. I do enjoy watching them though, and it should be an interesting match between us tomorrow. Dislikes wise:- Burnley.

What was the best moment of last season
?
I'm going to be naughty and pick best moments; the beginning of the season when Blackburn were top of the league and looking pretty imperious was nice when it lasted, and a very good cup run. Highlights in a really awful season.

The league's most ridiculous management saga. The two shortest serving managers in the club's history one after the other. 57 and 67 days respectively. There's no excuse for decisions like that.

We helped to found the football league. Which is good, right. We also helped to found the Premier League, but yeah...

Wheatabeat

Post by Wheatabeat » Fri Aug 09, 2013 16:13

Oldham Athletic

How will you do?
For some reasons our messageboards are awash with super-optimism, which feels a bit weird after the despondent last five seasons. This is partly down to the pretty decent strike-force that Lee Johnson has assembled with some proven talent at this level. However we decided to let our best defender leave without replacing him (we've stuck a midfielder from the youth team there instead). Expect high scoring games at both end, one week we'll get rinsed 1-5, the next we'll probably win by the same margin. We narrowly won our first match 4-3. There will be lots of games like this.

Liked: Everton. We ran them close in the cup, taking them to a replay. But their fans were a pleasure to interact with and Goodison Park is still a magestic stadium clinging on to halcyon-era football. If I didn't support Oldham I'd probably support Everton.

Disliked: Sheffield United. Firstly in our match at Bramall Lane, with the Blades 1-0 up a ballboy kicked the ball away to waste time. Lee Croft gave him a telling off. ballboy was afro-Caribbean and turned it into a racist angle which was promptly dropped when it was easily discovered that someone, somewhere was fibbing. We snatched an equaliser at the death to restore parity. Then in the return match at Oldham, an awful referee let the blades get away with blue murder as they scraped the win through being overly thuggish. In over 2,000 matches of watching Latics I've never had to feel to march towards the tunnel as they came off purely to let the referee know exactly how I (and plenty others) felt.

On the whole the league form was instantly forgettable. But our wins against Nottingham Forest and Liverpool in the cup were archetypical FA Cup giantkilling performances which will be long remembered.

Any of the many home defeats to mid-table opposition who were poor, but not quite as poor as us. I can't pick a particular one out, they all seemed quite the same. Dickov finally getting sacked was sad to see, but he took us as far as he could.

Probably the plastic pitch. That pale green carpet arguably gave us a slight edge but you had to have the ball-playing, talented personnel to be able to play on it well to be fair. In those four seasons we put five top-flight sides to the sword (with overwhelming victories too) helping make our springboard to the old second division title and caused many an opposition full-back to require skin grafts after slide tackling.
Fuck your tea room.

graysonscolumn

Post by graysonscolumn » Fri Aug 09, 2013 19:22

Another new sponsor for the Conference, I notice. Must confess I initially misread Skrill as Skrillex - was looking forward to seeing the title winners being handed their trophy by that dial-twiddling plonker.

gc
Fifty Shades Of Grayson: http://thatmusiclist.blogspot.com

clunkandrattle

Post by clunkandrattle » Sun Aug 11, 2013 22:27

Scunthorpe United

How will you do?
Our only two competent players have gone and yet an unlikely optimism hangs over the place like the lovely orange glow from the steelworks. There can't be 7 better teams in this league can there? Play off certainties then, surely.

I developed a bit of a soft spot or Brentford who played proper football and had the divisions friendliest, most cheery fans. We must be the only bunch who didn't feel happy for 'little' Yeovil, whose manager Gary Johnson actively dislikes us and has never forgiven us for beating his Bristol City team to the title a few years ago, the big baby.

It was a horrible, horrible year. That local 'rivals' Grimsby Town's inept performances in the play offs and FA Trophy final represented for some the highlight of OUR season is, admittedly, a bit sad but says it all really.

Just the acceptance, very early in the season, that the last few years had been like a lovely, unexpected holiday. We'd been to places we never thought we'd go, seen things we never thought we'd see, but it was time to go home. Hey ho.

What is your club's contribution to football history?
The 3 England captains (Keegan, Clemence and..erm..Botham) are often mentioned and thats about yer lot really. Being rubbish and having hardly any fans but still being here is something of a miracle to be honest but it'll do for me.

richie rich

Post by richie rich » Wed Aug 14, 2013 06:05

Dan wrote:Definitely Waddle. A friend saw him play for Hallam FC the other week against Chesterfield U18s, and said he was still trying it. See 38 seconds into this.
Thanks. I enjoyed watching that. I’ve watched a variety of Waddle montages over the years but I don’t recall The Primitives soundtrack… which made me smile.

Watching this reminded me of another of Waddle’s signature moves. The cut back with the left foot (the first minute is chock-a-block with that move). It was so incredibly exaggerated. Sometimes I think that even if he had an empty goal in front of him he still couldn’t stop himself from throwing in one of those cut backs.
leon wrote:but Palace went on to overwhelm us after that early shock.
Yeah. That's a good account of what took place.

I liked that Wednesday side of the early 90s: Waddle, Hirst, Harkes, Warhurst, Palmer etc.
Julian! I want to be a dancer!!!

leon

Post by leon » Wed Aug 14, 2013 23:55

Just watching the highlights of England v Scotland having had half an eye on the live game. I'd kind of been willing Scotland on for a while, especially once I saw Stuart McCall on the Scotland coaching staff, but Rickie Lambert's goal changed that.

His face when he scored was an absolute picture and had me beaming. I love stuff like that, just pure, unbridled 'fucking-hell-I-just-scored-for-England!' stuff. I could sound off a few cliches about old fashioned centre forwards and Roy of the Rovers but it just warmed the heart to see a guy who would normally be overlooked for the national side due to playing for an 'unfashionable' club getting the chance, aged 31, and taking it. ITV went predictably overboard on the story but that doesn't take away from what a lovely moment it was.

In some respects it was as lovely a moment for Kenny Miller, who scored an absolute belter, But I'll leave it to a Scotsman to talk about that one.

tompony
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/lardpony

Post by tompony » Thu Aug 15, 2013 07:20

It was fantastic, especially as a Saints fan. Sadly I didn't see it live as I was driving back from band practice, but those "+1" channels finally proved themself useful and I still had a great big smile on my face for quite some time.

I hope it inspires him on to some more excellent goal scoring feats this season!

richpassivity

Post by richpassivity » Thu Aug 15, 2013 08:42

Yep, was proper welling watching Rickie's interview afterwards! :)
One thing that we've known from the start
Deep down inside, we're punk rockers at heart

indiansummer

Post by indiansummer » Thu Aug 15, 2013 09:31

i've generally adopt an 'ABE' position since sometime around 1999, but that was a fantastic header (from a really great cross) and he clearly loved it. shame the ball bobbled a bit for that second chance a few minutes later.

thought Cahill should've dealt with Miller much better, although it was still a very tidy finish

Wheatabeat

Post by Wheatabeat » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:23

leon wrote:Just watching the highlights of England v Scotland having had half an eye on the live game. I'd kind of been willing Scotland on for a while, especially once I saw Stuart McCall on the Scotland coaching staff, but Rickie Lambert's goal changed that.

His face when he scored was an absolute picture and had me beaming. I love stuff like that, just pure, unbridled 'fucking-hell-I-just-scored-for-England!' stuff. I could sound off a few cliches about old fashioned centre forwards and Roy of the Rovers but it just warmed the heart to see a guy who would normally be overlooked for the national side due to playing for an 'unfashionable' club getting the chance, aged 31, and taking it. ITV went predictably overboard on the story but that doesn't take away from what a lovely moment it was.
Oh, I loved that goal, and yes like you I was beaming for him. Then, straight after the realisation started dawning on me that England have third division footballers in and around the fringes as well. Our national team is fucked on a world football level. Anyway, yay for Rickie Lambert.

Anyway, this got me all annoyed this morning. Is Moyes turned into Ferguson already or something? Balls out of bags? Doesn't he know it's a fixture computer and everyone has to play everyone else the same amount of times. Lest we forget that Man United have played no-one of any note (i.e. a team that finished in the top 4 or 5 the previous season) until September for two fucking decades now.
Fuck your tea room.