The Football

football, cricket, darts, athletics - the lot
indiansummer
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/heartsturnblue

Re: The Football

Post by indiansummer » Wed May 05, 2010 15:49

can you forward tomatosalesinwashington.xls to me by the end of the week then please? We need to know.

Incidentally, football fans in the media always seem to be neanderthalic violent halfwits covered in club crest tattoos, or the carling-slurping, EPL-referencing, 'big-4'-worshipping, sky-subscribing trendy types that all those adverts must be aimed at.

you never see people like Pete Humblebee interviewed on telly, that's all i'm saying.
halo my middle, a hula hoop hug

humblebee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy

Post by humblebee » Wed May 05, 2010 15:54

indiansummer wrote:you never see people like Pete Humblebee interviewed on telly, that's all i'm saying.
I did just get asked to take part in a live discussion about GTFC on Compass FM this Friday but I had to say no because it coincides with my little boy's bathtime.

andyroo
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by andyroo » Wed May 05, 2010 15:54

I read UWS more than I watch Sky (I only watch the match, try and avoid any "build-up, Christ I hate "build-up"). Everyone in that is like Pete Humblebee. Including the ones who support Big Clubs. And also including Pete Humblebee.

I think the Newcastle-Sunderland thing's based in some industrial dispute where Newcastle kept working while Sunderland was on strike or vice versa. Bit like Gijon and Oviedo in Spain going back to the pre-civil war lockouts and Oviedo being dirty scab fascist bastards. Excuse me.
There ain't no-one gonna turn me round

sweepingthenation
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/sweepingnation

Post by sweepingthenation » Wed May 05, 2010 15:57

When Leicester were first relegated from the Premier League in 1995, a bloke wrote to the Leicester Mercury to announce he was changing his allegiance to Forest. After a week of you-can't-change-your-club-especially-not-to-them vitriol (the east Midlands rivalries aren't greatly fought in comparison to others but we can occasionally make the effort when required) he offered the paper - a newspaper! - a wager of money based on whose club finished the highest the following season.

1995-96 passed. Leicester went up through the play-offs, Forest finished ninth. The bloke sent in his cheque, it went to charity. He pledged to do the same the following May.

1996-97. Leicester have the season of their lives and finish ninth; Forest are relegated. Never heard from the writer again.

tompony
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/lardpony

Post by tompony » Wed May 05, 2010 16:11

Practically everything about supporting a football team confuses me. I got massively, massively into football when I was 8, during Italia '90. After that, I collected Pro Set cards, built up a decent selection of Subbuteo teams, spent hour after hour after hour playing Emlyn Hughes International Soccer on the C64... But who did I support? Other than England, I wasn't particularly sure. I remember buying some Everton wristbands at some school féte or something and the man on the stall saying "Is that your team then?", I replied "one of them". I can't remember who else I was supporting that week but I also had an affection for Tottenham because I thought Gazza was ace. The first match I went to, bizarrely, was Sunderland vs Crystal Palace at Roker Park, accompanied by a bunch of family who were technically Newcastle supporters (we were visiting them in Gateshead, they promised I could go to a match but Newcastle were away that week).

Over time I sort of drifted into supporting Southampton as the local team, but I don't REALLY have a burning passion in my heart for them. I want them to do well, I'm mildly upset when they don't but it doesn't really affect my life either way. When I've been to matches with a more passionate friend, I get a bit scared by how different he becomes before and during the match, the genuine nerves and the ANGER when something goes against the team. I'm there, enjoying the atmosphere and thinking "ooh, I hope they do win!" while he's telling the referee that he's a wanker.

I'd like to go to more matches, but not enough to commute to Southampton to see them, and I feel no affection whatsoever for Derby, probably because most of the local supporters that I know have put me off them (a friend who I hadn't seen for a while sent me a text calling me a cunt when Derby beat Southampton in the championship playoffs a few years ago and I was really confused and hurt by it).

I still support England every time there's a big tournament (yes, despite all of the players being idiots) but I enjoy it when Scotland, Wales and the Irelands do well too - to the absolute DISGUST of some people, seemingly.

I suppose I'm just a "fan" rather than a "supporter". I like a good story, I like the underdogs to win, I like to see skillful football and I like to follow certain players careers for years because they scored a nice goal once. I kind of wish I had a real passion for a team though, as I do feel a bit disconnected from things at times.

a layer of chips

Post by a layer of chips » Wed May 05, 2010 16:17

Slightly off topic, but I hate it when my Dad pretends to be into football. This usually coincides with the World Cup, FA Cup Final, or any time Town have a big game. He basically listens to what the blokes in his pub tell him, jumbles all the words up in his head, and spews them out to me in a way Soccer AM would be ashamed of. If I could be arsed to get arsey with him about, I'd be furious.

Soccer AM. That's got a fuck of a lot to answer for, eh?

a layer of chips

Post by a layer of chips » Wed May 05, 2010 16:24

And Frank Skinner and David Baddiel.

a layer of chips

Post by a layer of chips » Wed May 05, 2010 16:32

andyroo wrote:I read UWS more than I watch Sky (I only watch the match, try and avoid any "build-up, Christ I hate "build-up"). Everyone in that is like Pete Humblebee. Including the ones who support Big Clubs. And also including Pete Humblebee.

I think the Newcastle-Sunderland thing's based in some industrial dispute where Newcastle kept working while Sunderland was on strike or vice versa. Bit like Gijon and Oviedo in Spain going back to the pre-civil war lockouts and Oviedo being dirty scab fascist bastards. Excuse me.
I used to love the build up before the match when I was little though,didn't you? Often more than the match itself. Now I come out in a rash and need an inhaler the moment I see Andy fucking Townsend.

Wikipedia says that the Tyne-Wear rivalry dates back to the Civil War!

Wheatabeat

Post by Wheatabeat » Wed May 05, 2010 16:52

indiansummer wrote:and as my Liverpool-supporting mate pointed out, "what if i moved to manchester? There's no way i could raise any of my kids to support either United or City."
Well, there's always Stockport and Oldham and Rochdale and Oldham and Bury and Oldham. Oh, and Macclesfield and Oldham.
Fuck your tea room.

Wheatabeat

Post by Wheatabeat » Wed May 05, 2010 17:00

a layer of chips wrote:I used to love the build up before the match when I was little though,didn't you? Often more than the match itself.
While we're on a nostalgia trip, the thing I used to love about pre-match was approaching the ground and getting a nostril full of that shit footballers used to smother all over their legs. You don't smell it any more.
Fuck your tea room.

Richard
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/richarddsfar

Post by Richard » Wed May 05, 2010 17:09

Forest sign Majewski!

THRIKER!

And another!

80sfan
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/80sfan

Post by 80sfan » Wed May 05, 2010 17:28

indiansummer wrote: (O/T - there was once a brilliant Football Focus feature on the Tyne & Wear derby, in which they interviewed loads of die-hard supporters about their hatred for the opposite club. One especially-imposing character on the magpies' side fumed at length about his distaste for the colour red: "I WON'T EVEN EAT TOMATOES. BECAUSE THEY'RE RED." it was brilliant telly; almost like he was starring in a Christopher Guest-directed send-up of english football fandom)
my old housemate - a leeds fan - took the curtains down in his room because they were red (man u-shite-d, innit?) and because he was a lazy prat, didn't put any others up until we moved out a year later.
he was also on the verge of tears when we made him be the little red character in a game of cranium.

i'm certain that it was all put on, and he liked the idea of hating a team and their associated colour more than he actually did. which makes him an even biggger arse.

and he had a big arse.
i just wanted to lick your face

islandhopper
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/mi-fhein

Post by islandhopper » Wed May 05, 2010 18:30

Colin wrote:Right, so, now that I’m in the football thread I’m going to ask this. It’s a bit of a touchy subject, but has anyone here got any experience of changing their allegiance in terms of what team they support?

My own supporting history is a bit weird. My dad used to take me to go and see Rangers when I was really young (between the ages of about six and nine) but I don’t know if he took me because I liked Rangers or if I liked Rangers because he took me. I grew up in a small town in Ayrshire where everyone - everyone – supported Rangers. At a push they might have gone to see the local team, the imaginatively-titled Kilwinning Rangers. I don’t think I met a Celtic supporter until I was about 10.

I suppose we didn’t really have a strong history of supporting a particular club in my family. I think my grandpa supported Kilmarnock but he never really went to the games, or if he did he had stopped by the time I was born. I don’t think my dad was all that bothered about football but he took me to see Rangers all the same.

I fell out of love with the game during my teenage years but have got right back into it in my twenties. I started going to some Rangers games last year and have had a season ticket for the second half of this season. I really like going to the games but there’s a number of things I know about the club now that I obviously didn’t know or care about or understand at the age of six.

Needless to say, the unionist, God Save the Queen, red hand of Ulster stuff that is associated with the club (and actively embraced by a significant number of supporters) is a major turn-off. There’s other things, like the club’s too-cosy relationship with the Armed Forces. And apart from anything else, the SPL is fucking boring. It’s hard to get overly excited when only two teams ever win it. I can’t pretend that Rangers winning the CIS Cup means as much to me as it would for a Ross County supporter if they win the Scottish Cup. I’m stuck in a weird situation where I genuinely care about the team and their fortunes on the pitch but I actively dislike the club and find it hard to identify with.

I’ve been thinking about going to watch Partick Thistle next season instead. I don’t know why them, other than they’re local and I like the cut of their jib. I was just wondering if any of youse had been through a similar kind of dilemma. It must happen, because supporting a football club is one of those weird things you’re usually landed with through birth or through some childish whim and it’s hard to break away from it.
I know exactly what you mean Colin! My dad doesn't care about football in the slightest and I was growing up on an island where my nearest professional team was probably 100s of miles away (this was when, the still pretty damn far away, Ross County & Caley Thistle were in the Highland league (ok, Caley didn't technically exist at this point, but I'm in danger of using two many brackets now!)). For this reason I ended up following my best friend and older cousin into supporting Rangers and I've been stuck with that ever since! It was fun when I was a kid and I had all the posters and loved Super Ally and all that, but I soon found it very hard to care too much. We won everything, which really isn't much fun and I became increasingly aware of all the sectarian shit (though I do agree that Rangers get slightly unfairly tarnished by this brush in relation to other teams).
It probably doesn't help that I'm not a huge football fan anyway, but the last time I really cared at all was that UEFA cup run from a few years back and in general I'm ever so slightly happier if Rangers win the league rather than Celtic, but it doesn't really mean an awful lot. The only time I really care about football is when Scotland play (which is a little weird considering I have very little time for any sort of nationalism) so it's probably about time I stop saying Rangers when people ask me what team I support.
I think I had a brief dalliance with Motherwell when I was very young since it was my Granda's local team, but it was obviously never strong enough to make me stick with them. I wish I had! The programme he gave me from their successful '91 Scottish cup final against Dundee Utd. still means more to me than any piece of Rangers memorabilia ever will, but I'm afraid than I don't really believe you can successfully switch teams after all those years.

mkgleeds
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/mkgleeds

Post by mkgleeds » Wed May 05, 2010 19:17

80sfan wrote:
indiansummer wrote: (O/T - there was once a brilliant Football Focus feature on the Tyne & Wear derby, in which they interviewed loads of die-hard supporters about their hatred for the opposite club. One especially-imposing character on the magpies' side fumed at length about his distaste for the colour red: "I WON'T EVEN EAT TOMATOES. BECAUSE THEY'RE RED." it was brilliant telly; almost like he was starring in a Christopher Guest-directed send-up of english football fandom)
my old housemate - a leeds fan - took the curtains down in his room because they were red (man u-shite-d, innit?) and because he was a lazy prat, didn't put any others up until we moved out a year later.
he was also on the verge of tears when we made him be the little red character in a game of cranium.

i'm certain that it was all put on, and he liked the idea of hating a team and their associated colour more than he actually did. which makes him an even biggger arse.

and he had a big arse.
Hmm there are plenty of 'us' like that.

The McDonalds outside Elland Rd is painted all white as no-one would go in if it had red on it and we have the famous fan who is a painter and decorator and will paint over anything that is red with white paint for free.

I'm pretty sure i dont own any red clothing, though looking around the hoover is red. So i'm obviously not trying hard enough and should throw it out (and have dirty floors).

Your Funny Uncle

Post by Your Funny Uncle » Wed May 05, 2010 22:44

a layer of chips wrote:My Dad was never into football, Colin, and so when my Mum left him when I was four and moved in with a Liverpool supporter, I was brainwashed with Liverpool stuff. Then my Uncle Trev started taking me to Blundell Park every Saturday, so I suppose I supported two teams up until about the age of 12 or 13. But then I dropped Liverpool because I could start going to Town matches on my own.
My story is quite similar to this. My dad likes football but he's a rugby man really, and he never took me to games. I might have become a York fan had my sister stayed with a boyfriend that took me to a few games in the mid-80s, but I thought I supported Liverpool. When I got to the age of about 13 or 14, I began to think "What the hell do I have to do with them? I'm from Yorkshire!" and switched my allegiance to the city where my grandfather, my father and I were all born, Leeds. Shortly afterwards they were promoted to division one and then won the title. I've never even thought of changing my allegiance since, despite the terrible mess we've been in for the last 8 or 9 years.

Your Funny Uncle

Post by Your Funny Uncle » Wed May 05, 2010 22:50

mkgleeds wrote:
Hmm there are plenty of 'us' like that.

The McDonalds outside Elland Rd is painted all white as no-one would go in if it had red on it and we have the famous fan who is a painter and decorator and will paint over anything that is red with white paint for free.

I'm pretty sure i dont own any red clothing, though looking around the hoover is red. So i'm obviously not trying hard enough and should throw it out (and have dirty floors).
I take the opposite attitude. I think that if you only associate a colour with a team you hate that wears it, then they've won. I like red. There are plenty of teams that I quite like who wear red and aren't Man Utd. The England away shirt is red. Plenty of good non-football related things are associated with the colour red. I therefore have no problem with wearing a red shirt. It's a nice colour.

islandhopper
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/mi-fhein

Post by islandhopper » Wed May 05, 2010 22:54

See! I knew I should have stayed supporting Motherwell!

indiansummer
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/heartsturnblue

Post by indiansummer » Wed May 05, 2010 23:15

Well in, the Duke! Try harder, Ruddy*.

*(i don't know if he was playing)
halo my middle, a hula hoop hug

James_B
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/jamesbrittan

Post by James_B » Thu May 06, 2010 00:14

Just to carry on what people were talking about switching teams...

My brother switched from a Manchester United supporter to being a Chelsea fan just about when Chelsea got rich. It still hurts now, but to be fair, he was only 10-ish.

I genuinely don't understand how anyone can switch allegiance at any point, I'm entirely aware of the evils of the premier league and how United are one of the worst of the lot. I also have no connection to Manchester and these days I realise the stupidity in that, but I don't feel like I ever chose to support them, my dad probably had me supporting them before I could even talk, it feels too much of a part of me now. My dad is from Chester originally which I suppose puts him vaguely in the right region. Most of my friends who supported Man United as a kid did so because Ryan Giggs is Welsh, that probably influenced me too. It did feel like a bit of a crisis when it looked like Murdoch was going to buy the club, I don't know what I'd have done...

I look out for the local teams, especially Newport County and Cardiff City but also the two Bristol teams a bit, but I don't feel the rivalries and a defeat for them doesn't make a big difference to my mood. Maybe the reason I support a team I have no real connection to is because I live in Wales and most people here are more into rugby (a sport I just don't like), the even the teams I mentioned as 'local' are a fair drive from me and kids just aren't exposed to anything outside the premiership at a young age when forming opinions.

I've gone on a bit of a rant again. Post-pub internet is not always a great idea. I just feel like I have to defend myself for my choice of team when it doesn't feel like I ever made a choice...