Soup!

recipes, soup, curry, baking, sandwiches, crisps, beer, pubs, alcohol
Uncle Ants

Carrot, tomato and red lentil soup with sage.

Post by Uncle Ants » Tue May 20, 2008 11:17

One wouldn't want the soup thread to drop too far down :)

Last night's soup. Too many carrots in the cupboard and a madly growing sage plant in the back. so ....

Carrot, tomato and red lentil soup with sage.

Finely chopped onion, 3 cloves of crushed garlic, olive oil ... sweat.

4 carrots grated, half a red pepper (because that was spare as well), chuck it in and sweat some more.

2 tins of tomatoes, 2 pints of stock and handful of red lentils (Auntie believes all soup should have protein ... a kind of byelaw in our house), a squirt of tomato puree, some mixed herbs and a bayleaf.

Cook it up for half an hour and 5 minutes before serving a big handful of finely chopped fresh sage (or dried if you haven't got it).

It was a success ... and I cooked twice as much as we need ... so round two tonight.
In Recordeo Speramus

humblebee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy

Re: Soup!

Post by humblebee » Tue May 20, 2008 11:20

That sounds cracking, Unc.

I'd sort of given up on soup until the autumn... but I've got half a squash and a few manky carrots that need using, and summer seems to have stalled again, so...

Uncle Ants

Post by Uncle Ants » Tue May 20, 2008 11:47

humblebee wrote:That sounds cracking, Unc.

I'd sort of given up on soup until the autumn... but I've got half a squash and a few manky carrots that need using, and summer seems to have stalled again, so...
That'll work. Yellow split peas are quite good with squash. I think you've just got to think lighter and bit more summery for summery soup. Go with whatever's seasonal and you can't go too far wrong I reckon.
In Recordeo Speramus

lynsosaurus
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by lynsosaurus » Thu Aug 07, 2008 18:23

poor soup thread, all neglected down here.

i've made a cracking soup for tea tonight. courgette, parmesan and basil. it is absolutely fucking delightful, and took about ten minutes to make. i think it's a definite summer soup.

Uncle Ants

Post by Uncle Ants » Thu Aug 07, 2008 18:30

lynsosaurus wrote:poor soup thread, all neglected down here.

i've made a cracking soup for tea tonight. courgette, parmesan and basil. it is absolutely fucking delightful, and took about ten minutes to make. i think it's a definite summer soup.
We demand a recipe. It sounds lovely.
In Recordeo Speramus

lynsosaurus

Post by lynsosaurus » Thu Aug 07, 2008 18:39

Uncle Ants wrote: We demand a recipe. It sounds lovely.
alright! i never think to post recipes because my cooking is not very sophisticated, but here you go!

for ~4 people/yer average pot of soup:

1kg courgettes, skinned and cubed
5 cloves of garlic, chopped (i like a lot of garlic...maybe you like less)
60ml olive oil
750ml stock (i used chicken, but i reckon veg would be just as nice)
a (small!) splash of white wine vinegar
1 cup grated parmesan
60ml single cream
a handful of basil leaves, chopped finely

heat olive oil in a pan on a medium heat. chuck in courgettes and garlic and soften. add stock and vinegar, bring to the boil and simmer for a bit. whizz in a blender until smooth. add parmesan, and then add the cream and basil before serving.

Uncle Ants

Post by Uncle Ants » Thu Aug 07, 2008 18:45

lynsosaurus wrote:
Uncle Ants wrote: We demand a recipe. It sounds lovely.
alright! i never think to post recipes because my cooking is not very sophisticated, but here you go!

for ~4 people/yer average pot of soup:

1kg courgettes, skinned and cubed
5 cloves of garlic, chopped (i like a lot of garlic...maybe you like less)
60ml olive oil
750ml stock (i used chicken, but i reckon veg would be just as nice)
a (small!) splash of white wine vinegar
1 cup grated parmesan
60ml single cream
a handful of basil leaves, chopped finely

heat olive oil in a pan on a medium heat. chuck in courgettes and garlic and soften. add stock and vinegar, bring to the boil and simmer for a bit. whizz in a blender until smooth. add parmesan, and then add the cream and basil before serving.
Ooooh. ta very much. I could have made this tonight, but apparently the spuds have already been peeled. gah. tomorrow night then.

I like recipes with a small splash of wine. Its a damn good excuse to drink the very large splash that didn't make it into the soup.
In Recordeo Speramus

lynsosaurus

Post by lynsosaurus » Thu Aug 07, 2008 18:48

Uncle Ants wrote: I like recipes with a small splash of wine. Its a damn good excuse to drink the very large splash that didn't make it into the soup.
that's exactly why i've had to switch to using wine vinegar rather than wine. wine would be waaaay nicer, and you can put more in without worrying about it being sour, but i have to think of my liver and my ever-increasing wine belly.

pennybroadhurst

Post by pennybroadhurst » Thu Aug 07, 2008 19:06

I made soup today because I was feeling delicate. It was a bit thrown together though: an elderly stalk of celery (plus leaves, chopped fairly finely), a yellow pepper (in 1cm chunks), a potato (ditto), the end of a cucumber (sliced in half moons), an onion (ditto), a clove of garlic (chopped finely). Sweat the above in butter in a covered pan on a low heat for ten minutes, then uncover to add a pint of vegetable stock (Marigold bouillon by choice), bring to a simmer, then lid back on and back to the low heat for half an hour. Season and add a good glollop of gorgonzola. Blend. Serves two. Sub anything you have in the fridge for anything you don't have as long as celery and potato make it in.

bluespring

Post by bluespring » Fri Aug 15, 2008 16:23

I had cream of wild mushies yesterday and I burned my tounge. :(

Sootyzilla
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/sootyzilla

Post by Sootyzilla » Sun Aug 24, 2008 18:59

for those who eat meat, a decent sized chunk of bacon, some marrowfat peas and an onion simmered in water for a few hours make a perfect soup with no added ingredients needed.
As wrong as it was to do,
Those eyes were made to look into.

Uncle Ants

Post by Uncle Ants » Fri Sep 12, 2008 14:27

Soup needs reviving :)

Too many sweetcorn cobs in last week's veg box plus rather a lot of potatoes, so we had:

Sweetcorn and Potato Chowder (from Green's excellent Veggie cookerybook)

About 2.5 pints of light veg stock
4 or 5 cobs of Sweetcorn, shaved
1 large Onion - diced
4 cloves of garlic - chopped fine
1lb (0.5kg) Potatoes - diced
half teaspoon dried thyme
half a teaspoon dried oregano (edit: oops I meant Basil)
salt
white pepper
2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano (edit: oops I meant Basil)
knob of butter
splash of olive oil

Half the potatoes and half the sweetcorn are simmered with about half the stock for about 25 minutes. Add half of the remaining stock and blitz with the blender. set aside

Sweat the onion in the butter and oil for about 5 minutes, then add the herbs, remaining sweetcorn and potatoes, the garlic, a pinch of the pepper and a pinch of the salt and sweat for another 8 minutes or so.

Mix it with the blitzed soup and add the remaining stock. Simmer for 20 minutes and season to taste. Add the fresh oregano (BASIL) when you serve it.

Gotta say it was bloody marvellous - even nicer the next day.
Last edited by Uncle Ants on Fri Sep 12, 2008 17:45, edited 1 time in total.
In Recordeo Speramus

crystalball
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/felters

Post by crystalball » Fri Sep 12, 2008 17:45

That sounds bloody amazing, Uncle Ants! Thanks. I'm making this weekend.

Uncle Ants

Post by Uncle Ants » Fri Sep 12, 2008 17:57

crystalball wrote:That sounds bloody amazing, Uncle Ants! Thanks. I'm making this weekend.
It was very good and very easy. But remember I was having some sort of brain fart when I typed that and wherever I said oregano ... I meant Basil :)

It was from one of Paula's Green's Restaurant books. Field of Greens this one. There's one called Green's Cookbook and another called Th Savoury Way. They are American and possibly the best veggie books I've come across. Their black bean chilli is really fantastic.
In Recordeo Speramus

jayen_aitch
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/jayen_aitch/

Post by jayen_aitch » Sun Sep 14, 2008 20:31

I made soup and it was good.

I don't usually blend my soups, but I did, I blended it real good.

And then I added a large dollop of creme fraiche.

The other main ingredients were lentils, tinned tomatoes (blended before starting), and lots of paprika.

There was also some garlic fried in butter at the start, some Hendy's added at the same time as the paprika and of course water.

I cooked it slowly for about three hours, blended it again, and it was a surprise ready for Astrid when she got back from the gym.

nanski

Post by nanski » Mon Sep 15, 2008 05:42

Uncle Ants wrote:
crystalball wrote:That sounds bloody amazing, Uncle Ants! Thanks. I'm making this weekend.
It was very good and very easy. But remember I was having some sort of brain fart when I typed that and wherever I said oregano ... I meant Basil :)

It was from one of Paula's Green's Restaurant books. Field of Greens this one. There's one called Green's Cookbook and another called Th Savoury Way. They are American and possibly the best veggie books I've come across. Their black bean chilli is really fantastic.
I'm surprised it's American. we're not as into blending our soups as you Brits (at least in my experience).

i love soup, but I'm not making any soups that require cooking for at least another month! it's still stupidly hot and humid here. some cold cucumber soup (from the Moosewood cookbook, another American vegetarian classic) would hit the spot right now. Too bad all the yogurt in Okinawa is disgustingly sweet. bleck. I will probably make gazpacho again, though. recipe on some other thread.
big hole! big hole! big hole! big man! big man!

nanski

Post by nanski » Mon Sep 15, 2008 05:43

hmph. double post.
big hole! big hole! big hole! big man! big man!

crystalball
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/felters

Post by crystalball » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:18

Uncle Ants wrote: Too many sweetcorn cobs in last week's veg box plus rather a lot of potatoes, so we had:

Sweetcorn and Potato Chowder (from Green's excellent Veggie cookerybook)
I declare this to be The Best Thing I've Ever Eaten. Anoraks, you all have to give it a go and follow Uncle Ants's recipe to the letter because it's just completely wonderful.

humblebee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy

Post by humblebee » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:45

Gah, I was just fancying some warming, comforting soup for lunch, because I've been cold for 12 hours and the football club I've loved for 29 years is turning in to a fucking joke shop. I haven't got any stock cubes or bouillon powder though. Gah.

a layer of chips

Post by a layer of chips » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:55

Have a fag, Pete. That's what I did in 1988. We survived. Someone called Alan Buckley turned up.

Oh.