Eastenders

films, telly, wireless

Moderator: quaycur

User avatar
lynsosaurus
Posts: 3469
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 18:13
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: Auld Reekie
Contact:

Re: Eastenders

Post by lynsosaurus » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:15

i love that venn diagram, pete! all arguments on anorak must now be illustrated by venn diagram. i am laying down the law.

kat and alfie were truly part of the golden age of eastenders. i'm well excited about this news.

a layer of chips
Posts: 18616
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 09:17
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: Nottingham, UK
Contact:

Re: Eastenders

Post by a layer of chips » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:16

Am I the only one who hates Kat and Alfie?

Alfie's stupid shirts, cowboy boots, gormless gob and leather trenchcoat make me want to kill. He's like the Kwik Save Richard Hammond.

Kat looks like that unfunny twat out of The Mighty Boosh, but with a tan.

When they met, it was moider.

islandhopper
Posts: 3441
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 00:44
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/mi-fhein
Location: I belong to Glasgow

Re: Eastenders

Post by islandhopper » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:20

I got really confused when Kat played Pat Phoenix in that Road to Coronation Street drama. I thought it was her, but then I didn't think they would have got one soap icon to play another. She was good in it though I thought.

linus

Re: Eastenders

Post by linus » Wed Sep 22, 2010 13:37

a layer of chips wrote:Am I the only one who hates Kat and Alfie?
no, I hate them too, but then I'm all about hating eastenders and I'm perplexed why normally thoroughly decent and sensible people seem to rate it... and unironically too

alfie is essentially shane richie but, I'm guessing, more sympathetic than actual shane richie

I don't understand why anyone would find that a good thing

what I really don't like about eastenders is that it has no basis in reality at all but they stop themselves from sticking winged demons and lazer beams shooting out of hands because it's, they purport, based on real life... while having no basis in real life, so why not stick winged demons and lazer beams shooting out of hands in it? nobody behaves in real life like they behave in eastenders, people behave in eastenders like they might if real life was sun newspaper headlines, all black and white and highly emotive

corrie's virtue for me is it's writing, it's acting and it's delivery... it does veer toward a soap reality a lot but it has those qualities to anchor it, I can sort of believe in corrie world, eastenders seems to me to be half an hour in the overworked, overwrought mind of a particularly desperate television scriptwriter- somebody whose reality is made up of compromise and resentment and cold-eyed hard-hearted piss-takery

I can get enough of that looking in the mirror, thank you very much

a layer of chips
Posts: 18616
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 09:17
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: Nottingham, UK
Contact:

Re: Eastenders

Post by a layer of chips » Wed Sep 22, 2010 16:22

What I get out of the two (perhaps romantically) is that Corrie is written by people who have a working class grounding, whilst Eastenders is written by middle class people who think that's what working class people act like. I'm probably wrong, like, but that's the impression the two programmes give me.

User avatar
humblebee
Posts: 10543
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 16:33
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy
Location: Sheffields
Contact:

Re: Eastenders

Post by humblebee » Wed Sep 22, 2010 16:29

a layer of chips wrote:What I get out of the two (perhaps romantically) is that Corrie is written by people who have a working class grounding, whilst Eastenders is written by middle class people who think that's what working class people act like. I'm probably wrong, like, but that's the impression the two programmes give me.
That's exactly how I feel as well. I bang on about Stenders demonising northerners, but that's just a side issue. I feel empathised with by Corrie, but I feel condescended to by Eastenders. (Not that I'm in a position to claim working class brownie points or anything, but, y'know.) It comes across as a palpable difference in intent. It's like the difference between a lovely popshow by a DIY promoter who's not making a bean out of it and the Leadmill scheduling a gig to finish at half 9 so they can chuck you out and charge you to come back in for the club night. Corrie is laughing with you; Eastenders is laughing at you.

But I still love Kat and Alfie.

a layer of chips
Posts: 18616
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 09:17
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/
Location: Nottingham, UK
Contact:

Re: Eastenders

Post by a layer of chips » Wed Sep 22, 2010 16:31

fogofideas wrote: corrie's virtue for me is it's writing, it's acting and it's delivery... it does veer toward a soap reality a lot but it has those qualities to anchor it, I can sort of believe in corrie world, eastenders seems to me to be half an hour in the overworked, overwrought mind of a particularly desperate television scriptwriter- somebody whose reality is made up of compromise and resentment and cold-eyed hard-hearted piss-takery
Quite, Pete. The above is mega true, too.

linus

Re: Eastenders

Post by linus » Wed Sep 22, 2010 16:56

humblebee wrote:Corrie is laughing with you; Eastenders is laughing at you.
that sums it up perfectly

User avatar
stolenwine
Posts: 2071
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 19:27
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/stolenwine/
Location: giddy london
Contact:

Re: Eastenders

Post by stolenwine » Fri Sep 24, 2010 15:34

alfie is great! me and decky fancy him a bit (although decky was drunk when he confessed that, i was sober)

and i don't want to sound mean, but heather trott needs to man the hell up!
tell me how good it is / to wake from a bad dream / and have someone there and I will tell you / how butterfly wings stay dry in the rain
--
stolen wine social

User avatar
Mr Bear
Posts: 2816
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:48
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/cold_discovery
Location: Here and there

Re: Eastenders

Post by Mr Bear » Fri Sep 24, 2010 15:55

a layer of chips wrote:Am I the only one who hates Kat and Alfie?

Alfie's stupid shirts, cowboy boots, gormless gob and leather trenchcoat make me want to kill. He's like the Kwik Save Richard Hammond.

Kat looks like that unfunny twat out of The Mighty Boosh, but with a tan.

When they met, it was moider.
I know this post is a couple of days old now, but it just made me do an actual lol.

User avatar
stolenwine
Posts: 2071
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 19:27
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/stolenwine/
Location: giddy london
Contact:

Re: Eastenders

Post by stolenwine » Fri Mar 18, 2011 13:32

how grim was last night's episode! so grim. i know eastenders is essentially a show that depresses the fuck out of you, but that was pretty grim, even by eastenders standards.

also - how long are they gonna drag this ronnie/baby storyline out?
tell me how good it is / to wake from a bad dream / and have someone there and I will tell you / how butterfly wings stay dry in the rain
--
stolen wine social

User avatar
humblebee
Posts: 10543
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 16:33
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy
Location: Sheffields
Contact:

Re: Eastenders

Post by humblebee » Mon Mar 21, 2011 17:26

You know what I'm going to say.

User avatar
stolenwine
Posts: 2071
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 19:27
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/stolenwine/
Location: giddy london
Contact:

Re: Eastenders

Post by stolenwine » Tue Mar 22, 2011 14:42

humblebee wrote:You know what I'm going to say.
i know ;) i think we said the same thing.
tell me how good it is / to wake from a bad dream / and have someone there and I will tell you / how butterfly wings stay dry in the rain
--
stolen wine social

User avatar
humblebee
Posts: 10543
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 16:33
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy
Location: Sheffields
Contact:

Re: Eastenders

Post by humblebee » Tue Mar 22, 2011 14:51

I thought Shameless lad was a pretty good actor before he was in Eastenders. But he's just getting nothing to work with here. Oooh what a meany. That episode was so leaden. It's awful.

User avatar
stolenwine
Posts: 2071
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 19:27
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/stolenwine/
Location: giddy london
Contact:

Re: Eastenders

Post by stolenwine » Tue Mar 22, 2011 14:54

...yet i can't stop watching.

that' mine and decky's lame bit of tv every week. it's kind of just an excuse to have a cuddle on the couch for half an hour (and bitch about the storylines)
tell me how good it is / to wake from a bad dream / and have someone there and I will tell you / how butterfly wings stay dry in the rain
--
stolen wine social

User avatar
linus
Posts: 2491
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 17:55

Re: Eastenders

Post by linus » Wed Jun 08, 2011 07:51

let me qualify these remarks by saying I fucking hate eastenders, it is a festering scab on the face of british television: tired, bloated, worn out, hackneyed, dreary, desperate, dishonest, flatulent, wheezing, fetid, a bit shit...

shane richie has all the personality and charm of a blow up mr blobby with a slow puncture at a kids party and the kids are all passing out and turning blue because the gas escaping from this failing to please anyone inflatable dirigible is curdled acrid farts, but not just any farts... the greasy gravy farts of the overprivileged and the terribly pleased with themselves, the very worst of all farts...

phil mitchell bloke has the face and demeanour of a man who has happily taken coin for turning and up and straining to do a poo for twenty years and failing every time

those two 'blondes', roxie and game on (gammon?) are just a couple of fleabitten ludicrous windblown tarts (no crime in itself but they're so fucking tedious, go away, fuck off!) and, frankly, most of the characters have the warmth, personality and charm of angry boils

I do my very best to avoid watching it but I've seen a couple of episodes lately and david essex is quite good, isn't he?

I know you'll all be too cool to admit it but I think he's not bad

User avatar
humblebee
Posts: 10543
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 16:33
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/atomicbeatboy
Location: Sheffields
Contact:

Re: Eastenders

Post by humblebee » Wed Jun 08, 2011 22:13

hey, linus! wrote:let me qualify these remarks by saying I fucking hate eastenders, it is a festering scab on the face of british television: tired, bloated, worn out, hackneyed, dreary, desperate, dishonest, flatulent, wheezing, fetid, a bit shit...

shane richie has all the personality and charm of a blow up mr blobby with a slow puncture at a kids party and the kids are all passing out and turning blue because the gas escaping from this failing to please anyone inflatable dirigible is curdled acrid farts, but not just any farts... the greasy gravy farts of the overprivileged and the terribly pleased with themselves, the very worst of all farts...

phil mitchell bloke has the face and demeanour of a man who has happily taken coin for turning and up and straining to do a poo for twenty years and failing every time

those two 'blondes', roxie and game on (gammon?) are just a couple of fleabitten ludicrous windblown tarts (no crime in itself but they're so fucking tedious, go away, fuck off!) and, frankly, most of the characters have the warmth, personality and charm of angry boils

I do my very best to avoid watching it but I've seen a couple of episodes lately and david essex is quite good, isn't he?

I know you'll all be too cool to admit it but I think he's not bad
Well said, that Anorak.

I think we should have another Eastenders venn diagram now.

User avatar
Big Nose
Posts: 1289
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 09:27

Re: Eastenders

Post by Big Nose » Thu Jun 09, 2011 17:13

I am most impressed with the fact that googling "eastenders venn diagram" results in the previously alluded to venn diagram as the top result.

anorak could become the internet's foremost repository of eastenders related vennery.

Yes, and David Essex is awesome. My wife keeps going on about his eyes. I like him mostly cos of Silver Dream Machine.
My apple pies go off today.

User avatar
stolenwine
Posts: 2071
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 19:27
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/stolenwine/
Location: giddy london
Contact:

Re: Eastenders

Post by stolenwine » Mon Aug 15, 2011 20:32

carol really is a horrible, horrible person. i wish vanessa'd smacked her one tonight!
tell me how good it is / to wake from a bad dream / and have someone there and I will tell you / how butterfly wings stay dry in the rain
--
stolen wine social

User avatar
crystalball
Posts: 5197
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 18:04
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/felters
Location: That London
Contact:

Re: Eastenders

Post by crystalball » Mon Aug 15, 2011 22:41

Everyone is horrible in that stupid programme. The nice people on it are portrayed as either mental or unloveable! Eastenders makes me feel poorly, I don't know how you all watch it.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest