Doctor Who

films, telly, wireless

Moderator: quaycur

islandhopper
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/mi-fhein

Re: Doctor Who

Post by islandhopper » Sun Sep 04, 2011 20:50

hey, linus! wrote:
islandhopper wrote:Do you think this should have been mentioned then?
no, I don't think it was necessary and possibly it wasn't intentional but then does everything necessarily have to be spelled out?
It's not so much about spelling it out as it being odd that Amy and Rory didn't even think about it.

linus

Post by linus » Sun Sep 04, 2011 21:04

well, as there was no 'so, what happened there then, doctor?' type conversation in the tardis after there was also no opportunity for them to say, 'oh, that's a bit like what's happened to us'

I'm not convinced it was necessary, it was just a neat parallel

andyroo
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by andyroo » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:39

Yeah, I don't know if Amy and Rory ever found out what it was all about either.

The child is to all intents and purposes their (the tower block couple's) real son, adopted or not he's become a proper human, the only inhuman thing is his imagination actually coming true. The bit where the dad said he wouldn't let him be taken away no matter what, if that didn't move you, well, you're not human either.
There ain't no-one gonna turn me round

Trev
Last.fm: lostmusic

Post by Trev » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:54

andyroo wrote:The bit where the dad said he wouldn't let him be taken away no matter what, if that didn't move you, well, you're not human either.
It moved me alright - to hit the off button the remote!
not really here

PhoeniXPhiL
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/PhoeniXPhiL

Post by PhoeniXPhiL » Mon Sep 05, 2011 17:02

Trev wrote:
andyroo wrote:The bit where the dad said he wouldn't let him be taken away no matter what, if that didn't move you, well, you're not human either.
It moved me alright - to hit the off button the remote!
Ha ha

Indeed a right old mixed bag of nuts! The dolls were creepy, the process of being dolly-ised was trauma-inducing, Mat Smith made another great step in being the best Dr ever ...HOWEVER the whole thing fell a bit flat to me. It lacked that 'do or die' tenseness that made Blink so gripping.

Part of the problem is the deperate attempts to force in some clever-clever emotional pyschological subtext into the stories. Would it be a crime just to have some evil dolls running rampant and the Dr. stopping them... OR have the alien child be some kind of passive agressive evil brat who wants to turn the human adults into doll minions (a bit like a Twilight Zone episode... the name of which escapes me.)

The soundtrack also didnt help... it was far too bombastic and the doll noises would have been more effective as whipers or muffled moans (the Elm Street nursery rymes were too cliche).

That being said... it was nice to have a break from the ever convoluted, contrary, tying it's self up in knots season arc story about "the crack on the wall/The silence/Amy Pond/River Song killing the Dr/ Will probably end with memories or love causing something cosmic to blow up and will make everything all right again ...although the fabric of time will be a bit messed up"

Gordon
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/GreenGordon

Post by Gordon » Mon Sep 05, 2011 17:47

I enjoy practically every episode (including this one), and this one did have good thriller/horror aspects, but it definitely seemed to be one of the more child-aimed ones (i.e. Olympic Scribble Monsters).

I watched the Hitler one again, and like it loads. They do rush them a little, though.
Toot toot.

Big Nose

Post by Big Nose » Mon Sep 05, 2011 18:08

PhoeniXPhiL wrote:Part of the problem is the deperate attempts to force in some clever-clever emotional pyschological subtext into the stories.
This. Is basically what I've been wanting to articulate but hadn't got around to yet.

I also understand this...
MJHibbett wrote:It just winds me up when people say it doesn't make sense when what they actually mean is "I didn't understand it".
You can tell a complex story simply. Old Who did this tons of times. You don't have to mislead, misdirect, or obfuscate or even just simply ignore entire plot elements just to challenge or confuse the viewer for it's own sake. Occam's Razor and all that.

And of course, I am invariably tired and/or emotional by 7PM Sat, and I really don't want anything too deep or cerebral ta very much.
My apple pies go off today.

linus

Post by linus » Mon Sep 05, 2011 19:13

I'm learning that it pays to neither express a like or a dislike for who

I'm also figuring that my little kid self was onto something when he figured doctor who is best enjoyed as a solitary vice, don't admit you like it to your chums and don't admit you like it to proper who fans

Big Nose

Post by Big Nose » Mon Sep 05, 2011 20:02

hey, linus! wrote:I'm learning that it pays to neither express a like or a dislike for who

I'm also figuring that my little kid self was onto something when he figured doctor who is best enjoyed as a solitary vice, don't admit you like it to your chums and don't admit you like it to proper who fans
Back in the day, you had to be careful about your love for something which, by the time I was let loose for hours a day with a load of other mentally questionable schoolchildren, was unfashionably shit. When you did connect with another secret fan, you generally savoured your time together by speaking about the stuff you mutually liked and glossing over the things you didn't. With the internet it is the exact opposite. The credits are barely over and you can instantly aggregate all the dweebs together in one virtual hidden corner of the internets and before you know it it's a massive slanging match.

I am sure if I invited all the anorakers who've posted on the Doctor Who thread for a face to face forum round my gaff (with drinks served from my as yet unbuilt Davros drinks trolley) it would be like back in the day.
My apple pies go off today.

MJHibbett

Post by MJHibbett » Sun Sep 11, 2011 13:18

Big Nose wrote:I am sure if I invited all the anorakers who've posted on the Doctor Who thread for a face to face forum round my gaff (with drinks served from my as yet unbuilt Davros drinks trolley) it would be like back in the day.
Build it and they shall come!

In other news: Cor! That was pretty good wasn't it? Having found The Age Of Steel about dull i wasn't expecting much, but goodness! That was GRATE!

skywriting
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/shabbychic

Post by skywriting » Sun Sep 11, 2011 14:04

I thought that was one of the best episodes in recent times: messed up timey-wimey nonsense, beautiful otherworld setting, creepy robot things, heart wrenching finale. Great stuff indeed.

linus

Post by linus » Sun Sep 11, 2011 14:24

I thought it began well, spritely enough, nods to the prisoner and stuff like that and then it became yet another amy's seperated from rory feelywheelyfest presumably aimed at twilight fans

a potentially great episode spoiled

johnkell
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/johnkell

Post by johnkell » Sun Sep 11, 2011 15:06

Wonderful episode.

My only very small gripe is they didn't need to lay it on so thick with the music when Amy makes the choice to do things differently (trying to avoid spoilers for anyone who's not seen it) - the script was strong enough on its own.

How wonderful to have character-driven drama in Doctor Who - so difficult to do in the show's format.

Gordon

Post by Gordon » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:57

I thought the story was FINE. But maybe a bit pointless? V thought we didn't really need another story where Amy tells us that she loves Rory.

Also, why did old Amy just not magically disappear once young Amy was saved?

The timestreamy thing was a little bit obviously deus ex machina fake-sciencey.

Or so I thought.
Toot toot.

Gordon

Post by Gordon » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:58

johnkell wrote:Wonderful episode.

My only very small gripe is they didn't need to lay it on so thick with the music.
But that's what every show's about these days... and it's pretty emotionally manipulative (speaking as someone who'd easily emotionally manipulated).
Toot toot.

PhoeniXPhiL
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/PhoeniXPhiL

Post by PhoeniXPhiL » Mon Sep 12, 2011 17:23

Gordon wrote:I thought the story was FINE. But maybe a bit pointless? V thought we didn't really need another story where Amy tells us that she loves Rory.
CONTAINS SPOILERS!!!!

Yep, it was another story to undo all the "why is she marrying a man she clearly doesnt love or even like" generating ways of her and Rory's first series. Hopefully this episode signals the end of writers hinting that amy fancys the doctor more than Rory.

But yeah, the first half was sheer brilliance! I loved the quirkier Prisoner meets the Adventure Game approach to a Doctor adventure.. plus all three leads were brilliant (proof that Amy & Rory can work with the right dialogue).

The second half was still great but in my opinion they did slightly over-egg the melodrama pudding. Plus I was kind of hoping that old Amy wouldnt choose to sacrifice herself and rather darkly, the Dr. would have no choice but close the doors on her... which could have lead to a very interesting dynamic between him & Rory in the Tardis. Probably a bit much for a Saturday Tea-Time.

Still great stuff... next week's look a bit try-hard though.

graysonscolumn

Post by graysonscolumn » Mon Sep 12, 2011 18:57

PhoeniXPhiL wrote:
I loved the quirkier Prisoner meets the Adventure Game approach to a Doctor adventure..
Please God somebody pit the Doctor against the Vortex. I beg it.

gc
Fifty Shades Of Grayson: http://thatmusiclist.blogspot.com

tonieee
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/tonieee

Post by tonieee » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:19

I'm quite excited by the new 'special edition' Day of the Daleks DVD. I don't normally bother to watch the updated versions on the DVDs but this one sounds quite interesting - especialy as they've got Nick Briggs to redo the Dalek voices. I'll probably watch it tonight after New Who.

Trev
Last.fm: lostmusic

Post by Trev » Sat Sep 17, 2011 20:26

I thought tonights episode was a keeper.
not really here

skywriting
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/shabbychic

Post by skywriting » Sat Sep 17, 2011 21:05

It really was. The first few minutes before the credits rolled were simply stunning: creepy hotel, creepy clowns: just so atmospheric. Bravo!

I'm slightly baffled by the ending though. I don't quite get how Amy and Rory were so accepting of the Doctor leaving them behind (ostensibly pretty much for good). Why did they sudddenly buy the 'before you end up dead' line when they've already been dead half a dozen times between them this season?

I feel like the series has picked up again after a blistering start and a mid-season trough. I am very excited by next week's episode from the trailer: revisiting The Lodger, Cybermen; I have high, high hopes.

Oh, and is it just me who tried not to blink during the Weeping Angels scene?