New Directions: Glee!

films, telly, wireless

Moderator: quaycur

lynsosaurus
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Re: New Directions: Glee!

Post by lynsosaurus » Thu Sep 30, 2010 07:53

every single thing that brittany says is absolutely hilarious. my favourite of the last episode was the dr pepper/dentist line. awesome. i'm really glad she's in it more. i wasn't all that keen on last night's, but then i don't think the songs all translated particularly well to glee club. i thought the first episode of this season was way better.

let it ride

Post by let it ride » Thu Sep 30, 2010 19:48

I'm crazy excited for the third episode 'Grilled Cheesus', I think it'll be the ultimate return to form.

I didn't like the first episode, because it didn't feel like Glee. It just felt really... no. It did not work.

The Britney episode was a bit like he Madonna episode though: In creating a tribute, a lot of it was just recreating it. Really well, but still. I like Glee the best when it reconstructs a bit and doesn't just pay homage. I think in general Rachel's performances have been a bit weak because they trust her to make it work with her voice.

But next week!! Oh my god. I saw the promo and pretty much squealed with anticipation, haha. I like less showy Glee, and more emotional Glee with mixed, good song choices that just enhance the stories more.
clear eyes full hearts can't lose

let it ride

Post by let it ride » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:56

It's just not the same for me anymore. I really wanted it to be, but it isn't. It started with the back nine which was hit and miss for me, but now it is truly, fully fledged not a favourite show anymore.

I mean, considering I spent my summer writing my MA dissertation on it, it would seem like an impossible task. And I'm not hating for the sake of it. I really want it to be as good but something has changed.

Also, I take huge issues with the way they are changing Rachel. She used to be a heroine character to me as she was pushy and driven, but also never sat down in order for a boy to speak. She was so outspoken - a little bit obnoxious but mostly in a charming way - and I adored what they did with her in the second episode of season one. She basically speaks of how girls want sex as much as boys do, and abstinence is never the answer, but practising safe sex is the way forward. This is incredibly unusual for American teen television. We usually get the saints, and the "experienced girl" kind of character who usually finds redemption by not having sex for a while. We KNOW Rachel is innocent in some ways, but that was never one of the ways.

We then see her almost-sex Jesse in the Madonna episode, but doesn't because her heart is with Finn. Great. We see Finn sex Santana and be unhappy. We see them both lie about what happened. So on the show, Rachel would think Finn was a virgin, and Finn would think Rachel was sexually active.

Why have they turned her into a funny, determined prude? The Rachel I know and love would be ALL UP ON THAT as soon as she and Finn got together. Seriously. She would not be the one to not want to go to second base or seem celibate. And why would Finn buy that when he thinks she has already had sex with Jesse? I mean, if she explained that was rushed or whatever, sure, but no explanation? "No sex until you're 25?" - but Finn thinks she already HAD sex. Oh my god.

I love all of Kurt's storylines, and Chris Colfer is a wonderful actor, but I feel the rest of the show is just slipping. The music hasn't grabbed me at all and they have been way too similar to the originals now compared to the first series.

I really want to clutch on to more with it, but I can't find anything. It's a bit smoother, everyone's a bit skinnier, the music taking less risks.

I will still always watch it, but I don't feel that crazy passionate love for it anymore. Sorry for a mega post, haha, but you know I take my TV seriously.

nanski
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by nanski » Fri Oct 08, 2010 02:39

i actually really loved the episode, but because of the way it handled the topic of religion. that and Finn doing an REM song.

It's definitely not as funny as it used to be. Brittney saying stupid stuff (however funny) doesn't a great show make.
big hole! big hole! big hole! big man! big man!

let it ride

Post by let it ride » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:55

Oh yeah, I definitely loved that they catered to everyone without actually judging anything. It is Glee at its best. I thought the R.E.M song didn't quite work but maybe my hopes were too high.

But yes, I caught Mattress on tv last night and I felt justified in my feelings. Such a different show. Rachel especially. But what can you do! I'll just hope it gets back to the original style, but I don't think it will. But that's ok. Not going to sweat it.

MaxS

Post by MaxS » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:24

Have you guys given up on Glee, because I just caught up on it kind of late and I think it just got better and better along the way?!
The theme episodes (Rocky Horror Show and Christmas episode which closed the season) weren't my cup of tea but other than that season 2 was better in almost every aspect. I guess it's because they got bigger budget to get better songs.. Especially the Singin' in the Rain episode was awesome, infact so awesome that it works as a standalone song and I had to buy it from iTunes!
I must say I dislike the moody changes of characters aswell.. But even Kurt turned little mean in season 1 for couple of episodes and then turned back to normal so maybe they'll revert the Rachel change aswell.

La-Di-Da

Post by La-Di-Da » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:34

Glee starts up again on e4 on Monday, doesn't it?
I'm quite excited.
Seems everyone else is a bit ahead of me though!

Is anyone going to Glee Live this year?
I am!
It's going to be ridiculously good.

linus

Post by linus » Sun May 22, 2011 19:35

if they could trim out all the singing, the emoting and the 'issues' glee would be hilarious

brittany's 'fondue for two' and her cat, lord tubbington, plus being able to fast forward the singing while watching on catch up have made for a delightul 20 minutes of tv

indiansummer
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/heartsturnblue

Post by indiansummer » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:45

wonderful stuff

halo my middle, a hula hoop hug