NPR and PRI

films, telly, wireless

Moderator: quaycur

gloom button

NPR and PRI

Post by gloom button » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:27

I know almost nothing about NPR but I'm starting a thread about it anyway. I can't tell whether This American Life and those lovely Garrison Keillor monologues are part of NPR or how it all works, but I really love them, and him.
the trouble with personalities, they're too wrapped up in style
it's too personal; they're in love with their own guile

schlump
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/

Post by schlump » Wed Oct 03, 2007 15:58

maybe not too much of a digression, but not specifically a radio programme: npr invited americans to send in short stories of their lives, and got paul auster to collate and edit them. they're still read out on the air, i think, but were also published:

ImageImage

these are the same book.

squirrelboutique

Post by squirrelboutique » Wed Oct 03, 2007 16:00

When I have time later I want to post more about Prairie Home Companion and All Songs Considered.

gloom button

Post by gloom button » Wed Oct 03, 2007 16:02

I just discovered that programme name All Songs Considered reading about NPR this morning. It's the best name for a radio show I've ever heard.

alongwalkhome

Post by alongwalkhome » Wed Oct 03, 2007 18:06

Woo NPR!

Just a quicky: what are your NPR favorites?

My top 5:

1. Fresh Air
2. Car Talk
3. This American Life
4. Talk of the Nation (esp. Science Friday! How GREAT is Science Friday??)
5. Studio 360

But there's at least ten other shows I listen to and love. Like the gardening show out of Philly. And the cooking shows like Splendid Table. That's the power of NPR: I don't have a garden (or even a yard!), don't cook, and couldn't give a crap about cars, but I listen to all those programs w/enraputred glee.

If anyone wants to hear the quintessential Boston accent, give Car Talka listen.

squirrelboutique

Post by squirrelboutique » Wed Oct 03, 2007 18:16

gloombutton wrote:I just discovered that programme name All Songs Considered reading about NPR this morning. It's the best name for a radio show I've ever heard.
It's even better because there was an All Things Considered First.

You can listen to lots of NPR stuff online.

National Public Radio

And there are podcasts and stuff to download, including lots of cool concerts from the 9:30 Club in D.C.

My top five are:

1. Prairie Home Companion
2. Science Friday
3. The Diane Rehm Show (she fucking rules)
4. This American Life
5. All Songs Considered

alongwalkhome

Post by alongwalkhome » Wed Oct 03, 2007 20:09

squirrelboutique wrote:3. The Diane Rehm Show (she fucking rules)
She wasn't available to me (that sounds sordid--ew.) until I got satellite radio. At first her voice really freaked me out. It sounds like she's about to keel over at any moment. She's all "I've fallen and I can't get up!" But I've acclimated now and she does have very interesting guests. She's so civilized It counterbalances all my Howard Stern listening.

whininggirl

Post by whininggirl » Wed Oct 03, 2007 22:22

I am obsessed with Car Talk.

No, seriously. It's really good!

gloom button

Post by gloom button » Thu Oct 04, 2007 16:49

This News From Lake Wobegon just almost made me cry.
I think it's worth listening to. The second link is the second half of the monologue.

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=xLv9I-rCfGc[/youtube]

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=YyBaV-27b4w[/youtube]

squirrelboutique

Post by squirrelboutique » Sun Oct 07, 2007 02:16

That's lovely vintagey Keillor right there.

I was coming back from my brother's today, and I get grumpy driving sometimes, and then I had a sandwich incident, which resulted in me going without a sandwich, and then I got back into the car just as Prairie Home Companion was coming on. And this week it started with Keillor singing a pretty little song about being on a plane back home to Minnesota and asking the pilot to hurry up and stuff.

He's very calming.

nanski

Post by nanski » Sun Oct 07, 2007 07:58

i miss NPR. my faves back in the day were This American Life (especially when it was about radio or when David Sedaris was on) and interview show only in NYC (i can't remember the name of the host, but he was so knowledgeable about everything.

All Songs Considered sounds fantastic.
big hole! big hole! big hole! big man! big man!

alongwalkhome

Post by alongwalkhome » Mon Oct 08, 2007 16:15

Stream online, Nan!!

Hey, did anyone catch Car Talk this weekend? They played The Mountain Goats!! "I broke free on a saturday morning. I put the pedal to the floor..." They must have an indie-lovin' intern.

squirrelboutique

Post by squirrelboutique » Mon Oct 08, 2007 17:05

Just here to second the stream online thing, and to say that lots of stuff is available as free podcasts.

whininggirl

Post by whininggirl » Mon Oct 08, 2007 18:06

alongwalkhome wrote:Stream online, Nan!!

Hey, did anyone catch Car Talk this weekend? They played The Mountain Goats!! "I broke free on a saturday morning. I put the pedal to the floor..." They must have an indie-lovin' intern.
Car Talk always plays the most fantastic music. I do wonder who does their music programming.

I heart Click and Clack.

cuppie
Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/cuppie

Post by cuppie » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:37

my NPR sounds different than yours. i just listen to it for the BBC news and all things considered and the regular NPR news. and the classical music of course.

alongwalkhome

Post by alongwalkhome » Tue Oct 09, 2007 17:34

I listen to all that and then some. That said, I mostly listen on satellite radio (I have sirius) and there's 2 NPR channels (pulling stuff from all over the country), plus a BBC channel, plus Canadian public radio. I'm never for want of talk! And if all else fails, I stream from npr.org on the 'puter.

schlump

Post by schlump » Thu Oct 18, 2007 15:22

this has absolutely nothing to do with npr, but by the vague reasoning that npr is radio, and so radio listeners might read this thread, i thought i would bring to people's attention what a wonderful night of radio the bbc is providing, free of charge, tonight:

radio two:

20:00 Mark Radcliffe
22:00 Shake, Rattle and Roll
23:00 Street Corner Soul
The story of doo wop, charting the rise, fall and rise again of the music that first came together on the street corners of New York City. The series considers whether doo wop, as the first black street music to go mainstream, was really a precursor to hip hop and rap. It was the DIY music of young America and for people who couldn't afford instruments, as all they needed was a talent for singing in harmony.
23:30 The Flight of the Conchords
00:00 Steve Harley's Sounds of the 70s
00:30 Janice Long

radio three:

21:45
Night Waves
22:30
British Composer Awards
23:00
The Essay
23:15
Late Junction
01:00
Through the Night
Playlist:
Górecki, Henryk Mikolaj (b. 1933): Symphony No 3 (Symphony of Sorrowful Songs) ...

there's other stuff, too, on radio four, i think. the guide told me so. but there's so much good stuff; it's like a festival, with clashes and everything. assuming it's the dawn upshaw one (and even if it's not), everyone should stay up and listen to gorecki at one.

alongwalkhome

Post by alongwalkhome » Thu Oct 18, 2007 19:05

Two days in a row now my morning commute has involved listening to interviews w/Alice Sebold; I guess cuz she's on a book tour for her new title. She was on Fresh Air yesterday and Radio Times today and both times she just sounded like she utterly did not want to be there and like she's completely weary of all the "idiots" asking her questions. What she has been through is just unspeakably horrible, but I found myself thinking "condescending snob" and, shit, she of all people has the right to be anything she wants to be. I amazed she's managed to be married and have a relatively normal life. So I felt guilty and deflated for thinking ill of her and the interviewers both seemed anxious too. No on mentions Lucky, so her trajedy is a giant pink elephant in the room. Why do her publishers insist she go on these national tours? She clearly hates it.

squirrelboutique

Post by squirrelboutique » Wed Oct 24, 2007 01:51

!

Keillor has a stalker!

nanski

Post by nanski » Wed Oct 24, 2007 02:58

the thing about streaming: i really miss just playing the radio, you know? it's more portable. i don't have a computer in the lab, and listening to NPR while doing labwork (which doesn't usually require the same concentration as deskwork) is one of my favorite things ever.

though i like the idea of playing this american life through a podcast.

you know what else i really miss: being introduced to new music through the radio. there was a really good show in NYC i used to love for that, and of course before that in the UK i llistened to mark radcliffe back in the day when he had the 10-midnight show on radio 1. and what do i have now? bloody AFN. the only song they've played that is even remotely of interest to me is i want to be sedated. even in the UK recently radio really sucks. there are good digital stations, but again... there's the portability issue.

*sigh*
big hole! big hole! big hole! big man! big man!