anorak

The Last Frontier of Terror
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:15 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:25 pm 

Good luck Shaun. My only experience of Shrewsbury was driving a minibus full of pissed up, coked up and loved up musicians from three bands who were playing there, at a venue called the Buttermarket. The drive back up the A49 was a story, I'll tell you.

Posters up in the venue, if it has a fairly likeminded clientele, is a must. Also, get in touch with your local paper. Persuade them to do a short piece on your night in their "what's on" section. You may reach those who were indiepoppers in their youth, and don't go out so much so flyer and poster advertising might not reach them. I feel a bit hypocritical offering any advice on clubnights because I'm the shittest promoter ever. My KJFP nights have been dead lately, mainly because of my lack of motivation to plug them really.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:55 pm 

Cor, I'm warming my hands on the love from this thread! I can't tell you how fuzzy all this advice and support is making me. Thank you.I'm having a pint with John in Thursday so hopefully will have more news then.

I've got bucket full of respect for anyone who puts on nights or had done in the past. Double if you let it doe because the love has gone. That's totally fair enough.

It's funny what Jamie was saying, there's been a few times KJFP has been announced two days before, when it's too late and it like 'arrrgggghhh!'. I've blogged about how important KJFP was to me after I was getting my head around my dad dying. I felt such a warmth that night. If I can instill a tenth of that in other people I'll be a very happy man.

I always describe Shrewsbury as bit like Fearne Cotton, very pretty but dull. The plus side is, it's pretty good for shopping ( I can't believe I just typed that). We have a medieval Abbey, a castle, a river and some of the best pubs in the world. You can also visit Ebenezer Scrooge's grave. So if you like old buildings, shops that sell cup cake kits, a good pint in an ancient boozer and the remains of fictional characters, it's a boon. And it is very pretty.

The FinchleyTed fanclub.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:57 pm 

But for goodness sakes to pronounce it ShrOWsbury. The natives will kill you.

The FinchleyTed fanclub.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:24 am 

crystalball wrote:
Is Shrewsbury a nice place to visit for a day? We could have our Anorak day out there in the spring to coincide with your night, Shaun. Like a medium-sized, loving Anorak hugmob.

YEAHZ! And it's easy to get to :-)

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:12 pm 

Let's do it!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:33 pm 

Yay!

The FinchleyTed fanclub.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:14 am 

This is ON. I'm very very very excited. I've found someone as excitable and passionate as me about music. we are in for an outstanding evening.

The FinchleyTed fanclub.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:46 am 

Live the dream, Shaun!

Human Vegan
Bite Yr Lip

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:57 am 

Que sera, sera
Whatever will be will be
We're going to Shrewsbury

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:23 pm 

Yeah, I would have wrote more about this last night but I had bottle of Butty Bach to many. So yeah, we are sorting a meeting with the venue guys next week to sort out the actual date. I had quick peek round the place last night, and I really do think its perfect. (it has proper decks so we get to play vinyl!). I'm really, really trying not to get carried away, but if the night goes well (which I'm sure it will), there is scope to put bands on etc etc. Bloody Nora.

And my co-conspirator, John, is brilliant guy. I met him last night at an open deck night, where everyone takes 3 records and plays them. Simple idea but brilliant. It was a great night. Anyway, he's bang into music, just as daftly passionate about it as me, and has been after something like this as well, but could not find anyone to do it with. It's fate dudes, fate.

The only thing I'm genuinely peeved about is the fact I didn't do this years ago.

The name for the night (I always wanted to call it 'Doing it for the kids' but after recent 'revelations' it may be in poor taste) is going to be Just Like Honey. My mum's dog is called Honey. It's all too perfect.

The FinchleyTed fanclub.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:02 pm 

<3 <3

For everything.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:36 am 

I would totally be up for a trip to Shrewsbury for Shaun's night, providing it's not too close to my PhD deadline at the end of Feb.

Also, I totally misread Wheatabeat's post and though it said
Wheatabeat wrote:
My only experience of Shrewsbury was driving a minibus pissed up, coked up and loved up...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:30 am 

julieocean wrote:
I would totally be up for a trip to Shrewsbury for Shaun's night, providing it's not too close to my PhD deadline at the end of Feb.

Also, I totally misread Wheatabeat's post and though it said
Wheatabeat wrote:
My only experience of Shrewsbury was driving a minibus pissed up, coked up and loved up...

I drove it with love Julie. A lotta love.

I was listening to Radcliffe and Maconie this week Shaun, and someone phoned in with a 'The Chain' suggestion from Shrewsbury. I thought of you but he asked for Grizzly Bear.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:21 pm 

Last train from Shrewsbury to Crewe is 2350, which isn't bad at all...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:22 pm 

Wheatabeat wrote:
I was listening to Radcliffe and Maconie this week Shaun, and someone phoned in with a 'The Chain' suggestion from Shrewsbury. I thought of you but he asked for Grizzly Bear.

I was on it once actually, in the Radio 2 days. I picked 'Rattlesnakes' by Lloyd Cole and the Commotions and waffled absolute tosh.

Thanks again for love everyone. I can't wait to get more news to you. Hang on tight. x

The FinchleyTed fanclub.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:58 pm 

Phew, we have FINALLY got a date confirmed with the venue! Just Like Honey will take place in the Vaults in Shrewsbury on the 26th of January, so please make a note in your diaries. I'll do a proper post in the pop shows thread and a f*a*eb**k event type thing soon. I have no idea why, but I'm twice as nervous about doing a saturday than a friday.

The FinchleyTed fanclub.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:05 pm 

Gah, can't make this one.

I'm DJing at a Triffids night in London that very evening.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:56 pm 

Don't worry, half of London is going to that too! Allez Northerners, you know what to do.

The FinchleyTed fanclub.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:40 pm 

Two things have struck me after our second night-One is that as cool and 'real' playing everything on vinyl is, we've slightly limited ourselves to what we can play. I think I'm going to take a CD player next time. The second (which is slightly connected to the first) is how mind blowing it is (after being really excited to a night that featured Teenage Fanclub and Felt) to suddenly realise that we can play things like The Deirdres and One Happy Island and the Felt Tips etc etc etc. That's a really inspiring, freeing feeling.

The FinchleyTed fanclub.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:24 pm 

ShaunBrilldream wrote:
Two things have struck me after our second night-One is that as cool and 'real' playing everything on vinyl is, we've slightly limited ourselves to what we can play. I think I'm going to take a CD player next time.

I'm terrible, I use an iPad these days and an app called DJay. It's not the best for wanting to cue things up with headphones - You need a headphone splitter, but it has a negative effect on the line-out in my experience, although that may have been the Star and Garter's falling-to-bits PA. I use the graphical display thingy to work out when a song needs to be cued up to and it works absolutely fine for just the basic need of playing songs one after eachother, which at the end of the day is what we all do. Nothing more, nothing less.

But for being able to go out of the house with thousands upon thousands of songs in just a little shoulder bag, and having all the music anally sorted in iTunes smart playlists (indiepop girl singers, indiepop boy singers, songs with amazing drum intros, etc etc etc) means finding stuff isn't a massive hindrance any more. The amount of time I'd get home and feel a bit gutted because I'd forgotten to play something was a bit annoying sometimes. I dunno, I think over the years of years DJing, I've become very lazy. That probably started when I rocked up to HDIF 3 or 4 years ago and DJed with Ian using two CD-r compilations in PVC sleeves that I'd made up, burned and stuck in my pocket! I'm justifying it from the years of humping around two back-breakingly heavy flight cases full of CD's and said discs becoming heartbreakingly worthless over time after being scratched beyond all recognition.

Anyway, I tried DJing with vinyl a few years ago and I found it a fucking nightmare. The headphones didn't work properly in that I could hardly hear when cueing up, nearly every song had an embarrassingly massive gap and I'm sure the crap decks scratched my records to fuck. Never again.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next