anorak

The Last Frontier of Terror
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:34 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 379 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:08 am 

2.00am, just arrived back in Glasgow - left after Cats on Fire lit up the crowd (and kept most of them even against the pop magnetism of Camera Obscura) and must report that I had the BEST time. Thanks Indietracks people from the Butcher Boys & Girls. Wish I could be there tomorrow too...

B

Post subject: Re: Indietracks Re-view
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:35 am 

Half way through and it's easily the best Indietracks yet. The organisation on site and everything is fantastic. The crowd is much bigger, but still as friendly. And the beer is still relatively cheap.

Oh, and The Specific Heats (literally) explosive show in The Church will be remembered for a long time. By me at least. Fucking amazing band.

Post subject: Re: Indietracks Review
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:19 am 

'Literally' explosive? You mean there were pyrotechnics? Or did one of them have a bad case of wind?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:11 am 

basilatwork wrote:
2.00am, just arrived back in Glasgow - left after Cats on Fire lit up the crowd (and kept most of them even against the pop magnetism of Camera Obscura) and must report that I had the BEST time. Thanks Indietracks people from the Butcher Boys & Girls. Wish I could be there tomorrow too...

B

Butcher Boy were fabulous. Best band I saw yesterday.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:07 pm 

Woodbine wrote:
'Literally' explosive? You mean there were pyrotechnics? Or did one of them have a bad case of wind?

They blew their reverb machine up with the first chord they played.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:13 am 

Hello! I loved looking through this thread (2008 edition) that Andy started last year, so I thought I would start the new one!

What stood out the most for me:

It's hard to beat one of your favourite bands playing the song of theirs you are having as your first dance at your wedding next weekend. The Smittens are one of my favourite bands in the whole world and that they played 'The One For Me' a week before our wedding for us made me feel honoured and happy! The proof is that I stayed in a "This is lovely and special" state of mind for about 10 seconds before feeling love for the world and crying way too much. Their gig today, in the shed, was also absolutely fantastic and I danced all the way through. What great songwriters they are! So much fun to watch and listen to.
HUDDLE!

Tied with The Smittens for my favourite gig was the unexpected joy and dance fest that was La Casa Azur, perhaps the world's most charming performer. We were all dancing like MAD, arms in the air, true, true, joy. The projections and light show really added so much and it was some of the most fun I've had all year! When he played 'Love Is In The Air' I very nearly started crying when I saw everyone else in the crowd completely won over, the song performed with projections of Nintendo 8-bit style hearts while everyone sang along, and no one cared if they looked cool, but just DANCED. Look look, it's only 20 seconds I recorded for the chorus but the build-up was crazy!

I also loved seeing The Rocky Nest, the band Jonny is in, play to a packed church on the Saturday.

Camera Obscura, as always, great too. Perfect with the sunset:

As always, hanging out with friends was one of the things that made it all so special. I love being able to walk around on my own as much as I want (something I did quite a lot this weekend as Jonny wanted to see tons of bands and I was more for sitting/eating/talking/walking around looking at stuff and bumping into people/randomly finding a band or two that I liked.)

The rest of my photos (not that many this year due to recording most of The Rocky Nest's gig on video on my camera) can be found HERE.

Thank you Stuart and everyone involved in making this year's Indietracks (my second one) so incredible! Adding more food carts was genius, as a veggie it was great being able to have tons of alternatives on the festival site to choose from. Personally I adored the nacho plate.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:53 am 

It was totally brilliant. My favourite bits were:

The Specific Heats in the church
The tweenie Rocky Nest fans
Camera Obscura getting the really big crowd they deserve
Indietracks getting the really big crowd it deserves
The way you can (you should!) get there when the gates open so that you don't miss stuff like The Understudies, who were great
Standing with Dan Pocketbooks watching Northern Portrait
Standing with Dan Pocketbooks watching someone dance to Northern Portrait
Sitting around with friends
The fantastic atmosphere, as ever
The genuinely caring staff
The fact that Indietracks never fails to be brilliant, despite the fact that it's built up so much
That really massive controller chap who runs the miniature railway
The School
The School's audience - made up of 90 per cent blokes

Finally - over the last three years I've noticed that can tell how good an Indietracks it is by how dishevelled Mark Hibbett's denim jacket is. This year, on the Sunday morning, you could almost hear his jacket groan. Therefore it was a Very Good Indietracks.

Thanks Stuart, Emma, Nat, Andy, all the ace, ace staff and everyone else involved.

I hope that wasn't too Gwyneth Paltrow.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:53 am 

I had a wonderful time too, despite having to go early on Sunday after running up a hill and doing my groin in.

My favourites were The School because I love them and they are brill. I also really enjoyed Camera Obscura as the sun set and I think I was won over by Northern Portrait after not being that excited by them on record, I realised that I did like lots of their songs and the singer is a right dreamy hunkboat. I really liked The Understudies, especially the singer's hair, and The Specific Heats were ace and so so so nice and friendly too, I was slightly overwhelmed. One of my favourite things was that on two seperate occasions I got to the loo to find a friendly middle aged lady in there cleaning it, just before I went in. I don't think that happens at Reading, it was great.

It was really really wonderful as ever and thanks to everyone who made it so lovely.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:34 am 

I had a great time despite only doing the one day and that was the rainy one, sunday.

Turned up in a Buzzcocks Orgasm Addict t-shirt to find I seemed to be the only one in a
"band" t-shirt. Didn't care though as I saw the Buzzcocks in 1978 and thought I had as much
right to look stupid as anyone else. And anyway I am an orgasm addict.

Saw the Manhattan Love Suicides on the train only to be told that they had split up
that day and so was treated to an acoustic set by the remaning members. Was still
good and now I have seen a band on a train and a boat.

Finally began to see other indie types proclaiming their band allegiances, a Family Cat
t-shirt, Pains Of Being Pure At Heart, Teenage Fanclub and Heavenly were some of the others.

Musical highlights were Pocketbooks, Stereo Total, Northern Portrait, Help Stamp Out Loneliness
and Cooper who were criminally under attended. They were simply superb Spanish powerpop.

Oh and of course the Talulah Gosh "acoustic" reunion set in the Elefant tent. I just stumbled
in out of the rain and there was Amelia singing Beatnik Boy. I almost cried.

Overall reaction :fabulous and I spent too much money on records which made up for
missing Reading record fair. I can't wait for next year. Well done the organizers.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:38 am 

How were Teenage Fanclub? Did they go down well?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:42 am 

They seemed to. They sounded great but we were sheltering under the awning of a
food stall so we were a fair way off. I was just tired of being rained on but we went
down the front for two numbers near the end. They've still got it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:10 am 

You mean it wasn't shit then? GAH. I was clinging to a vain hope that it might have been, in order to justify my non-attendance.

Oh well.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:24 am 

Absolutely not. My mate who's a huge fan thought it was excellent.
Played about four new tracks off the forthcoming LP due in January,I think they said,
of which two were very good. They also did a Bevis Frond cover which was a
B side to something, which got my mate excited.

The band on before,Cooper, were a bit similar only slightly more harder powerpop
sound. They played a great cover of Badfinger's No Matter What and an equally
good Ever Fallen In Love With Someone.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:30 am 

I am surrounded by a warm fuzzy glow that not even the horror of being at work can penetrate (though it possibly renders me incapable of writing working code). La Casa Azul was THE. BEST. THING. EVER. Just watching that 18 second video clip above sent me weak at the knees again. It was the perfect end to a sunny Saturday. There was such a buzz in the audience. I also loved The Smittens, Cats on Fire, One Happy Island, dancing on stage to Stereo Total, walking around with a cat on my head, the pig roast, all the lovely, lovely friendly faces, and everything else about the festival that I've forgotten to mention. Pictures to follow...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:48 am 

I regretted not getting on stage and dancing to Stereo Total. Would have
stayed dry at least.
I also regret not wearing a cat on my head.

At any given moment I may type nonsense due to lack of sleep and my
head might collapse on the keyboard creating this effect 67y67yut

I didn't get in until 3.30 am and I'm wondering whether scoffing a bag
of bombay mix will ward off sleep.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:53 am 

Oh, I forgot to mention, Art Brut were ace too.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:00 am 

a layer of chips wrote:

Finally - over the last three years I've noticed that can tell how good an Indietracks it is by how dishevelled Mark Hibbett's denim jacket is. This year, on the Sunday morning, you could almost hear his jacket groan. Therefore it was a Very Good Indietracks.

We were chatting to Mark right after Teenage Fanclub finished and he had the wide-eyed stare of a man who had seen too much.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:19 am 

My best bits

The bunting making part. Free tea cakes!
Tatty devine indie tracks badges
Teenage fanclub
making felt mix tape badges
Llamas and farm cat
Camera Obscurer
Art Brut
60's dosco in the craft marque
Some guy mistaking me for someone who played in the church stage.No idea who he thought I was but it made me feel a bit famous for ten seconds.
Two security guards hiding from me and my mates in the platform carriage car waiting room at about midnight. We were alone in total darkness and they started making random knocking noises when me and my mates pondered the possibility of it being haunted by an old station master angry we were thinking of faking our ages to obtain young persons rail cards. After they had freaked us out for about 15 minutes they jumped out and scared us so much I let out a blood curdling scream. They were so pleased with themselves they ignored the fact we had sneakily smuggled some alcohol onto the platform. They then told all their security mates about it and we got laughed at everytime we walked past. It was one of those you had to be their moments. It was a lot funnier than it sounds.

Ended up leaving last night instead of today as me and my husband were just soaking wet and a lake had appeared under our tent. I hadn't been drinking due to spending all my money of tatty devine goodies and craft kits so we decided to head off after teenage fanclub. Was curled up in comfy bed with cat keeping my feet warm at 1am :)

Overall I think it was a great weekend. It was nice to see so many people and that a few improvements had been made from last year like having more food choice (especially for the veggies!)

I will post some pictures up later if I can figure out how

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:27 am 

I was surprised at how many people were there and then I realized about fifty bands
were playing so about 50% of the crowd were probably "pop" stars.

Still it was a big crowd and a great atmosphere.

And kudos to the DJ who played You'll Never See That Summertime Again by Friends
and the DJ who played the Pearls. Made me dance.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:04 pm 

snorkachu wrote:
We were chatting to Mark right after Teenage Fanclub finished and he had the wide-eyed stare of a man who had seen too much.

I still look like that - i sat on the train back this morning GIGGLING with glee. "ME! Top Of The Pops!"

The whole weekend was bloody amazing from start to finish wasn't it? It's fantastic that it's got so much bigger but stayed so lovely. And MAN ALIVE: Gopal's Curry Shack! BEST STAGE!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 379 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next