anorak

The Last Frontier of Terror
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:09 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 418 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 21  Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:17 pm 

Hmm, now, I wonder if there's a massive Blue Minkies fan on Team Indietracks...

Oh, HELLO!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:41 pm 

You'll make them blush.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:06 am 

The Babies
My Teenage Stride. What's going on with them, btw? Do they still exist?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:01 pm 

crystalball wrote:
Hmm, now, I wonder if there's a massive Blue Minkies fan on Team Indietracks...

Oh, HELLO!

London Popfest was deemed 'too soon to be good enough', but Indietracks... hmmm :o)

Attachments:
Minkies 2.jpg
Minkies 2.jpg [ 44.83 KiB | Viewed 998 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:31 pm 

BMX Bandits
The Pastels
Half Man Half Biscuit
They Might be Giants
Vacaciones
Helen Love
Spook School
Jonathan Richman
Papa Topo
Cola Jet Set
The Just Joans
Allo Darlin'
The School
Zipper
The Darling Buds
The Man from Delmonte
Shonen Knife
All Girl Summer Fun Band
Even as we Speak
The Popguns
The Flatmates
The Chesterfields
The Lovely Eggs
MJ Hibbert
La La Love You
Juniper Moon

Plus a load of bands I haven't heard of!

That's my impossible wish list.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:42 pm 

Prolapse.
(I don't care, I'm going to keep asking year on year until someone makes this happen...)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:53 pm 

Silver Girl wrote:
Prolapse.
(I don't care, I'm going to keep asking year on year until someone makes this happen...)

Good. I would love that.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:34 am 

Hello,

It guess it might be a bit late for wishlists but here is mine anyway:

Last Leaves
Anthony Atkinson & The Running Mates
Darren Hanlon
Architecture in Helsinki
Even As We Speak
Steinbecks
Popguns
The Great Leap Forward
Sarandon
Half Man Half Biscuit
Fever Dream
Hillfield & Stone
Simon Bish
I, Ludicrous

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:30 am 

Oh, and I don't want to be controversial (ok - maybe I do), but given the state of the economy and the fact that lots of people are hard up at the moment, is it time for Indietracks to review their policy on bands playing who have played at Indietracks before?

I thought it was great when it was announced that bands were not allowed to play on consecutive years but surely it would be even better if they were only allowed to play once every 3 years as then we'd all get better value for money by seeing even more new exciting bands that we haven't seen at Indietracks before!

I know it is a relatively small proportion of acts that seem to end up playing every 2 years and I love Gordon/Ballboy, Tender Trap, Just Joans, Allo Darlin', Smittens, Pocketbooks, Darren Hayman, White Town, Frances/Vaselines, MJ Hibbett, Shrag etc etc as much as anyone (actually probably more than most, as my record collection will testify!) but I do seem to have seen some of these acts a lot at Indietracks - 2, 3 or maybe even 4 times - over the last 6 years.

I know that not putting on regular favourites risks hitting ticket sales but the fact that Indietracks has already moved to a once every 2 years policy for bands means that they are prepared to take a risk. Perhaps now is a great time to get even braver....

Just a thought.

(sharp intake of breath as I prepare for various Indiepop critics to lay into me)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:51 am 

To be honest I think once every 2 years is ok. But I am all for mixing it up and having less familiar bands too. I think indietracks does pretty well at this already though.

Some recent finds to add to my wishlist:

Tyrannosaurus Dead
Playlounge
Yucky Slime
The Spills
Butter The Children
Love Triangle
Beachniks

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:10 pm 

With all Trev's great suggestions, I think there should just be an Odd Box stage.

Re. bands playing once every three years, I wouldn't want to see it introduced as a formal rule. Rules are for fools. I like to see a mixture of bands I already love and bands I've not yet realised I love; some people will be more inclined to see bands they already know and others will be inclined to discover new bands. I think as it stands, Indietracks gives people both options. Two years apart, bands might have entirely different sets. And also, as hard as it is to believe, some people might not attend every year. Also, I don't understand how it's economically advantageous.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:14 pm 

indiehorse wrote:
With all Trev's great suggestions, I think there should just be an Odd Box stage.

:-) Ha! They'd never let me loose on a stage (probably with good reason). That would be carnage. I got the Odd Box Weekender.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:22 pm 

I'd like to see:

Big Wave
Cats on Fire
City Yelps
Tunabunny
Fever Dream
Pale Lights
Milky Wimpshake
Bart Cummings (& Friends)
Haiku Salut

I've no idea whether any of those played last year or not. I'm usually too pissed to realise where I am at Indietracks.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:39 pm 

Fair enough, I suppose. I just know lots of people who have stopped going to Indietracks as they say it is the same old bands every other year. I think this is really unfair and a gross exaggeration, but I guess you can't please all of the people all the time. Most of these people live in London and other UK cities which means they will probably have seen many of the UK-based Indietracks bands perform a fair bit around the country in the intervening 2 years as well but I know Indietracks gets a lot of overseas visitors who might not have had that luxury.

And the economic argument entirely depends on whether people go to Indietracks primarily to see bands they have never seen before or not seen for many years - if they do, then clearly the more of these bands that there are, the better value it is!

If people go to see a mix between new and (some, very) familiar bands, then the economic argument doesn't apply.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:57 pm 

I mainly go for the excellent toileting facilities so you can put on whoever you want, I'll go regardless.

There's something amazing about seeing bands at indietracks with a massive crowd, when you've only ever seen them play to 40 people in a tiny pub before. If you did a three year rule then half the awesome new bands that you see would have split up before their three years were up and you'd never get to hear their brilliant second album played to the big appreciative Indietracks audience that they deserve. This post is mainly about Standard Fare, but I'm sure there's loads of other examples. Rules are rubbish. I want Shrag every year until they get fed up.

Maybe that's just me, I listen to songs on repeat a lot. Maybe other people find that annoying.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:13 pm 

I'd turn this on its head a little and say while I completely understand the two year rule, it means as the scope of Indietracks' booking is by its nature limited (and that's why it's the same bands all the time, I don't want a festival that ditches its precise booking policy and puts economies of scale first because that means major label buy-ons and Palma Violets all round) 2013's festival will be missing a lot of current big hitters in our world - Allo Darlin', Standard Fare (though they would be regardless), Veronica Falls, Tender Trap, TMBs, Hayman, Tigercats, Evans, JoGru, Smittens... Extending that exclusion by a further year isn't so much going to widen the scope as limit the number of attractive names on the bill.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:18 am 

the choo choo trains
big wave
sea lions
:)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:32 am 

The Garlands
The Indelicates (they are releasing an album in 3 parts, 2 of which are already released and I'm loving it so far)
The Wave Pictures (don't know if they are releasing anything new, but I never saw them live)
The international bands playing at Madrid Popfest: Burning Hearts, Northern Portrait, Alpaca Sports (I am going to Madrid Popfest but would be happy to see those bands again)
Anything from Eardrums Pop, it's all very good
Any Italian band I like. The only Italian band who played at Indietracks is A Classic Education, and I don't like them. In Italy there are hundreds of independent bands, but very few can be considered indiepop. These are my three favourites:
Abiku
http://abikuband.bandcamp.com/album/technicolor

Klein Blue
http://vaggimalrecords.bandcamp.com/alb ... immaginate

Brothers In Law
http://brothersinlaw.bandcamp.com/album ... ay-days-ep

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:05 pm 

rotherhams wrote:
They Might be Giants

The idea of Flansy and Linnell hanging out at Indietracks fills me with glee. I bet they don't come cheap though. They play pretty big shows when they're in the UK (Royal Festival Hall the last time).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:52 pm 

Barto wrote:
The only Italian band who played at Indietracks is A Classic Education, and I don't like them

Fitness Forever and Le Man Avec Les Lunettes played too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 418 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 21  Next