anorak

The Last Frontier of Terror
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:21 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 350 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Running
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:15 am 

Cloudy Cat wrote:
I'm impressed. Just started running again after a year. I have noticed an unpleasant flopping sound as I run and realized it's my belly slapping my thighs. I can do without the "applause" as I gallantly hurtle down grassy knolls in the bunny park near home.

I go out around 7am after breakfast and have great fun racing rabbits and the occasional fox

Put some headphones in. Ignorance is bliss!

Morning runs are a great start to the day.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:28 pm 

I'm only in the mood for running in the morning. I loathe the wait before the weight begins to drop off. Usually takes about six weeks before I lose a few pounds. I've got clothes I desperately want to fit into NOW!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:10 pm 

Carys wrote:
Today I ran 5k in 29.40! I can hardly believe that less than eight weeks ago I could only run about two minutes at a time. I'm so pleased!

Now I've got three weeks before the 5k run I've signed up for to try and maintain or improve on that speed.

that's a really great improvement - well done.

have you ran a 'race' before? You'll probably find that your time comes down by a minute due only to the added adrenaline of running with other people, and in front of a crowd.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:14 pm 

No I haven't done a 'race' before, so hopefully you're right about maybe going faster. I'm also imagining I'll be able to run more quickly on the flat - my local park is very hilly (it's not called Hilly Fields for nothing), and this tends to slow me down.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:41 am 

Is that the Hilly Fields made famous in song? It's a fairly obscure song so let's say the fame of Hilly Fields will not have increased much since it was written back in the 80's.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:41 am 

Just realised I never replied to you, CC! Alas I don't know the song in question...

On Monday when I was running, the outside of my right knee became painful enough for me to stop after about 20 minutes. I gave it a few days and tried again. Today, it felt weak and weird and twisted in the same place from the onset of running, and I really wasn't prepared to take a chance on it so came home, with plans to use the cross trainer at the gym later instead.

Any thoughts? Is it something I should be anxious about or shall I just give it a bit more rest and try again in a few days?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:15 am 

Carys wrote:
Just realised I never replied to you, CC! Alas I don't know the song in question...

On Monday when I was running, the outside of my right knee became painful enough for me to stop after about 20 minutes. I gave it a few days and tried again. Today, it felt weak and weird and twisted in the same place from the onset of running, and I really wasn't prepared to take a chance on it so came home, with plans to use the cross trainer at the gym later instead.

Any thoughts? Is it something I should be anxious about or shall I just give it a bit more rest and try again in a few days?
it could be runner's knee (which is my answer to most problems!) so could try the above before/after you run? Google has a wealth about ITB stretches and foam rolling, icing, etc. It's not a big concern as it's incredibly common, but it can be incredibly annoying and not something you should just 'push through', imo. Whenever i've done that, the next day is hell!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:18 am 

I might have to have a go at this.

What do you do?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:24 am 

Just start dead slowly. Do five or ten minutes at a time at your own pace for a couple of weeks, then build up from there. It took me about six months to be able to run for an hour, but you might be able to do it quicker than that. Or you might not want to do it. It does make you feel better, though. After you've scraped yourself off the floor, that is.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:35 am 

Do you need Special Shoes That Run or anything like that?

The real bugger will be finding a place near where I live that's not on a fecking 1:3 gradient.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:48 am 

You need proper trainers, yeah, else you'll knack your legs.

What about your local leisure centre or YMCA? Do they have gyms? They're usually mericfully free of gymwankers you find at the likes of Virgin, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:03 pm 

humblebee wrote:
I might have to have a go at this.

What do you do?

I know there's more than one way to skin a cat, but I really recommend Couch to 5k. If you google it, there's an NHS programme you can follow, or if you have one of those so-called 'smart phones' you can find an equivalent app.

I think the reason I like C25K so much is you're out for 30 minutes from day 1 - you just build up on how much you run each time. I think that's good in terms of getting into a routine as you get used to being out for longer than just running for 10 minutes and building up. The structure appeals to me too.

Decent trainers are a must. One of the best things about running is that it doesn't cost anything, but trainers are a necessary investment. I didn't take my own advice, but would recommend going to a proper running shop where they can see how you run and recommend the best trainers for you.

Obviously I'm no expert! I've only been running for a few months.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:09 pm 

fads wrote:
Carys wrote:

it could be runner's knee (which is my answer to most problems!) so could try the above before/after you run? Google has a wealth about ITB stretches and foam rolling, icing, etc. It's not a big concern as it's incredibly common, but it can be incredibly annoying and not something you should just 'push through', imo. Whenever i've done that, the next day is hell!

I think what's freaking me out is that it feels 'twisted' and weak rather than particularly painful.I've always had a slightly odd walk and tend to trip up on my feet, so my guess is that my running gait is similarly awkward.

I think I'm going to make a one-off appointment with a physio to get some tailored exercises. It might sound like using a hammer to crack a nut, but I can just tell there's something 'off'. I'm going to get some new trainers and try varying my running route too.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:32 pm 

Ta, I'll have a look.

I don't want to live longer: I just want to feel less shit.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:37 pm 

It definitely makes you feel less shit. I was suffering from a two-day hangover from Hyde yesterday, and I went for an hour run yesterday tea time and I felt mildly human again afterwards.

I think that's the best any of us can hope for at our age, isn't it?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:55 pm 

Despite me not doing any running for about 10 years my girlfriend has signed me up for a half-marathon in March (the month, not the town). I did about 4 miles in 40 min on Thu night and wasn't even out of breath, so will I be OK or am I just being cocky?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:09 pm 

you'll need to go further than that in your preparation!

whilst you might not be out of breath, you'll need to train your legs to be able to move constantly for over 2 hours... that's probably harder than keeping your breath.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:20 am 

Hey, running people, there's something I keep forgetting to ask you.

How on earth do you get time to run? When do you do it?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:47 am 

First thing in the morning inbetween dropping Ted off for nursery and starting work.

For about three minutes a day, then.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:45 am 

humblebee wrote:
Hey, running people, there's something I keep forgetting to ask you.

How on earth do you get time to run? When do you do it?

At the moment, I go as soon as I get home from work on two weekdays, and then as soon as I get up on Saturday mornings. So pretty manageable really. As for making time - well, everyone wastes time somewhere in their day, don't they?

I used to go before work and preferred it. I'd just set my alarm earlier. The only reason I go after work now is so me and R can go together, as he can't run in the mornings.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 350 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next