anorak

The Last Frontier of Terror
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:08 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:48 am 

Does anyone know anything about acoustic guitars? I bloody don't.

I haven't even found two or three that I want you to help me choose between. I'm just incredibly lazy and I want you to point me to one and say "buy that one".

I guess I'll go up to about 250 quid. It's got to be an electro-acoustic, so I don't have to faff with sellotaping on a pick-up any more.

(I think I'm gonna buy a pedal as well so I can make it sound electric like Chris T-T does, but I guess I should start another thread for that.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:58 am 

Apparently you should "avoid heavy lacquer". I'm not entirely sure what that means, but it is acoustic guitar advice that I have heard.

When I bought my acoustic I just went to the shop, asked the guy to suggest a couple, then waged a sort of battle between the two until there was only one survivor. I ended up going for the less established brand name one in the end, so it's definitely worth messing around with a few.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:09 pm 

go to the guitar shop at the town end of eccy rd!!

a welsh guy and his wife run it - theyre amazing! he will help you choose one and tell you old stories about his years of playing guitars and how to pick the guitar that will take you on the journey you want..

really! go!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:12 pm 

tompony wrote:
Apparently you should "avoid heavy lacquer". I'm not entirely sure what that means, but it is acoustic guitar advice that I have heard.

That's not just advice for acoustic guitars - that's advice for LIFE.

Thanks you two. What's that shop called Cara?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:32 pm 

WIZARD GUITARS!

http://www.wizardguitars.com/

the man is a legend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:33 pm 

or

What?
The bottom one is called 'Rainbow Sparkle'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:45 pm 

Oh, hel-*lo*!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:45 pm 

tompony wrote:
When I bought my acoustic I just went to the shop, asked the guy to suggest a couple, then waged a sort of battle between the two until there was only one survivor. I ended up going for the less established brand name one in the end, so it's definitely worth messing around with a few.

JAWOHL! When we bought my Mrs's guitar that's pretty much what we did - obviously, as it involved Lady Shopping we had to go to the shop about four times, and THINK about it a lot, but we basically took two or three that LOOKED dead nice and tried them out. I don't think it's like electrical guitars, acoustic ones are all different from each other and for people aren't they?

Personally I'd get a normal acoustical and just use one of THESE babies: http://www.deanmarkley.com/Pickups/ProMagPlus.shtml, as recommended by the aforesaid Mr TT. That way you just worry about the sound of the gtr, not fannying about with the electrics and that, AND you get a nicer guitar to play at home too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:05 pm 

Is that what you use, Mark?

I don't think I've ever had a muso conversation with you before. It feels wrong!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:22 pm 

humblebee wrote:
Is that what you use, Mark?

Yeah! It's lovely, sounds good and is surprisingly durable. It's very handy when Idiot Soundmen claim it's feeding back too, as it DOESN'T!

humblebee wrote:
I don't think I've ever had a muso conversation with you before. It feels wrong!

Quick, to the pub!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:42 pm 

Yeah, and you'll get a much nicer acoustic for £250 than you would if you buy an electro-acoustic. Mine was about that price and it is sexxxay.

How much are those pickup thangs? I might get one to cater for the two acoustic gigs per year that I do!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:47 pm 

tompony wrote:
Yeah, and you'll get a much nicer acoustic for £250 than you would if you buy an electro-acoustic. Mine was about that price and it is sexxxay.

Really? Hmm. Now I'm tempted.

Quote:
How much are those pickup thangs? I might get one to cater for the two acoustic gigs per year that I do!

£32.12!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:38 pm 

Quote:

£32.12![/quote]

And they're ACE! Pete, you can have a go with mine in Durham if you like!

Also, Tom - do you fancy coming to London for one of yr two acoustic gigs some time? I'm going to be doing some more Totally Acoustic gigs if you fancy it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:02 pm 

Ooh... maybe. If I can get less absolutely RUBBISH at it, and if I ever write any new songs, I might just take you up on that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:49 pm 

Go Vintage!!

Me and a few friends stumbled across the genius of the Yamaha FG 140 a few years ago, this range of guitars has aged so well since the 60s. I got mine off e-bay and it cost just over 100 pounds and I a new pick up for 50. It sounds beautiful, it's such a sharp clear sound - and if I have one complaint about new acoustic guitars, it's that they can have a dull tone unless you spend bucket loads.

I'll e-mail you a song I recorded with it tonight (using two channels - the direct out from the pick up and a mic pointed at the guitar)

Downside of old guitars, you'll maybe need to get a new bridge fitted as the intonation can be out, same with the machineheads. It's worth checking the neck too to make sure it's not warped. Mine has an annoying but lovable rattle due to wear at the nut.

Um, I've just equipment geeked haven't I? It's worth having a play on one if you get chance though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:02 pm 

soft revolution wrote:
I'll e-mail you a song I recorded with it tonight (using two channels - the direct out from the pick up and a mic pointed at the guitar)

Ah, that'd be good, cos I was thinking about trying that as well. Cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:21 pm 

At Christmas, I got a electroacoustic, which bizarely came with a strap, a tuner, a stand, a padded bag, a music book and a free guitar lesson*!! It was dead cheap. It says it was Fender but the more I think about it the more it sounds counterfeit.

It sounds alright, it seems to record quite well just by plugging it in and sounds better than any of the pick-ups I tried on a normal acoustic.

I know nothing though. You're probably best going into a shop and trying a few out until you find one you like...

* guitar lesson in USA only.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 6:46 pm 

Which guitar did you get in the end?

I've been wanting to buy one for ages but somehow never got round to it. I always wanted a black one because I thought that they looked cool and rock'n roll. But then someone told me that they are usually the crap guitars because they have rubbish would just painted over. So now I won't get a black one.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:42 am 

i've never bothered with electro acoustic ones before, but for plain old acoustics in that price range i've always thought yamaha were amazing, and i'm guessing the ones with pickups can't be that much worse...

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:16 am 

Rabea wrote:
Which guitar did you get in the end?

In the end I couldn't be bothered to get a new guitar and just got a new pick-up instead. I might still get one sometime but it's not urgent.