anorak

The Last Frontier of Terror
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:12 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1028 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52  Next
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Who
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:53 pm 

I really didn't like it. The Christmas ones are always a bit pap for me.

The new companion stuff is interesting though, I was wondering how they were going to explain her reappearance so making that the focus of the next half of the series has got me interested.

It's just weird to think the same person that wrote Blink also wrote that.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:37 pm 

I liked it. I think I've generally quite enjoyed the Christmas specials but this one felt less like a standalone treat and more like a set up for the next series. I enjoyed it on those terms though, I thought it was funny and full of thrills and it raised my expectations for the next series for sure!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:24 pm 

I liked the new TARDIS and the TARDIS in a cloud and the new title sequence was an improvement on the last one.

I especially didn't like the way they defeated the monsters but I never do these days.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:55 pm 

I thought it was pretty good...I love the setup for the second half of the series...and loved the new tardis and spiral staircase....

I thought the Sontaron was a bit crap, though....

May I also say that I thought Clara was utterly cute?

Website (under construction) http://tinyurl.com/janglymark
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/Jangly.Mark

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:08 pm 

I preferred her when she was in a dalek.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:44 pm 

I thought she was incredibly annoying in the Dalek one, but had no such concerns in the Christmas special.

Of course, she might be incredibly annoying again when she comes back again because she's somebody different or whatever.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:34 pm 

Just watched the Dalek one again...and must say, I thought she was really cute (and not in the least but annoying) in that one too...

I didn't pick up on the fact that it was her (the souffle thing was a bit of a giveaway, but, I completely missed it) until right at the end...

...but, how can she die twice? I like that the last few Doctor Who series present as many questions as they answer....

Website (under construction) http://tinyurl.com/janglymark
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/Jangly.Mark

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:11 pm 

Jangloid Mark wrote:

...but, how can she die twice? I like that the last few Doctor Who series present as many questions as they answer....

She'll have to get used to dying a whole lot more often than that if the last pair of companions are anything to go by.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:12 am 

Gordon wrote:
That was pretty good wasn't it? Especially for A Christmas Special.

I enjoyed it, it was scary, and christmassy...

I wonder how large a part the doctors team of helpers from around the cosmos will play in the next season.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:25 am 

So... It's all been a bit rubbs, eh?

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:47 am 

this week's one was better than most, I tend to doze off midway through every doctor who episode I watch but this one kept me alert and interested

I prefer carla to amy, there are more yocks in this series and the jumpy bits have been more effective because of that, I think, because they've achieved a more natural balance between one and t'other, light and shade and all that- also I really like matt smith

however, I'm not really a doctor who nut, I don't make great claims for it or have overinflated expectations so I'm not sat there on a saturday teatime (or sunday morning watching the bits I fell asleep during) ready to hate it because ultimately it's a telly programme for kids

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:35 am 

I thought the ghost episode from a few weeks back was brilliant, one of the best episodes for a good while. Most of the other episodes have felt a bit filler-y to me, but they've mostly been pretty entertaining. I liked Warwick Davies in the most recent one but the rest of the plot didn't do much for me.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:24 am 

I thought the ghost one was amazing as well! And I thought this weekend's one was ace, I especially liked the old split brain thing with Matt Smith. I didn't really like the new companion much but I'm warming to her loads now. A lot of this series has been underwhelming for me personally, but even when it's not amazing it's still a good weekend watch, innit?

Has everyone seen the news about the leaked DVDs? DOH!

http://halfmyheartbeats.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/primitive_paint

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:27 am 

I think the ghost one has been the pick of the bunch so far, the russian submarine one started well but went to piddle

Post subject: Doctor Who
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:47 pm 

The last one was Neil Gaiman as well. I didn't finish it because V walked off in annoyance. This is what we get for letting Carey Mulligan go to Hollywood.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:49 pm 

lynsosaurus wrote:
I thought the ghost one was amazing as well! And I thought this weekend's one was ace, I especially liked the old split brain thing with Matt Smith. I didn't really like the new companion much but I'm warming to her loads now. A lot of this series has been underwhelming for me personally, but even when it's not amazing it's still a good weekend watch, innit?

Has everyone seen the news about the leaked DVDs? DOH!
I saw that. I think there's just one episode left though. They need to bring back multi-parters.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:18 pm 

I've been pretty disappointed with this series. I like Matt Smith and In think he's done the best he can with some very lackluster scripts, but Carla is so wooden. I just don't really care about the 'impossible girl' stuff and I feel they;ve jumped too quickly into the doctor and her being close without us really seeing them get to know each other properly.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:47 pm 

I feel it's been lacking the really clunky episodes that could make you wince in the RTD days but there hasn't been any brilliant standout episodes recently either. The ghost one was certainly the best from this run.
I love Clara and Matt Smith though so that also helps make it much more watchable.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:38 am 

I was gutted by how poor the first few episodes were, especially the one with the singing girl and the Doctor giving his speech with a tear in his eye, it was awful. I love Matt Smith (him Troughton and Davidson are tied as my favs for slightly different reasons) so bad that I refused to watch the next couple (i really should get round to watching them before Saturday in case there is anything in them which relates to the plot) I've really missed a decent story arc like 5 and 6. The whole one off blockbuster episode thing really doesnt do it for me, Doctor Who storys need time to breath and suck you in, with 42 minute episodes theres barely time to set a decent threat / menace enough for it to feel like it means anything.

I'm not saying they should go back to seven parters but 2 parters or even 3 parters would give the story time to really build.

all said i'm really looking forward to Saturdays episode (were the baddies shown in the trailer featured in Sarah Jane at some point?)

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:34 pm 

v Only mild spoilers for aired episodes hidden in this post v

If you saw the opening episode of this block then you really don't desperately *need* to watch any of the recent episodes. There hasn't been a heavy arc, It's really just been restating what we found out in that first episode over and over.

Spoiler: show
He still hasn't figured out how she's so impossible, and she hasn't found out much about him, although in the TARDIS based episode she found her way to the Library and found a book called "The History of the Time War" in which she was able to read The Doctor's name, but due to timeywimey she probably doesn't remember that. Might not be important but it happened.

The 'prequel' to this episode pretty much tells you everything you need to know (as well as being completely ace)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1028 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52  Next